Can Learning Skills Too Fast Put You At Risk For Mental Blocks?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My mental block started when I began focusing on getting my round-off handspring tuck. That was six years ago. I'm still going on and off with my block and its different every time it happens. The slightest thing will psych me out and then I won't tumble for months at a time. I haven't connected a round-off handspring in about two years. I too, excel at front tumbling, but back tumbling just doesn't happen.

My biggest advice would be to tumble with a spot until you get more and more confident. Then, when you're having fun one day at practice to just try. I've tried SO many things to help such as: Debby Love, hypnosis, tumble diary, etc. You just have to find what works for you. Sometimes it's just going, sometimes it's the pressure to get that front row spot, and sometimes it's just because YOU want to!

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask me! I know so much about this aspect of the sport.

My mental block started when I began focusing on getting my round-off handspring tuck. That was six years ago. I'm still going on and off with my block and its different every time it happens. The slightest thing will psych me out and then I won't tumble for months at a time. I haven't connected a round-off handspring in about two years. I too, excel at front tumbling, but back tumbling just doesn't happen.

My biggest advice would be to tumble with a spot until you get more and more confident. Then, when you're having fun one day at practice to just try. I've tried SO many things to help such as: Debby Love, hypnosis, tumble diary, etc. You just have to find what works for you. Sometimes it's just going, sometimes it's the pressure to get that front row spot, and sometimes it's just because YOU want to!

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask me! I know so much about this aspect of the sport.
I am curious. When you are blocking, are you able to successfully do the skill on another surface? My daughter can do handsprings all day long on my bed, or on a crash mat, and will do them on the gym floor with a soft mat beside (totally a psychological thing because the mat is not even underneath her and offers no real safety value. She will do her RO BHS beautifully from the rod floor into a pit that is covered by a harder mat, but freezes up on the spring floor. I know some people block on every possible surface when they block.....just will not do the skill period anywhere, but that has never been the case with us.

My 10 yr old is only in her 2nd year of cheer. No previous gymnastic or dance experience. When she started her last season, she could barely do a cartwheel. Her tumbling coach actually had to spend her first 3 lessons teaching her how to do a proper front roll. And then things started happening very quickly. By the end of her first season (level 1), she had front/back walkovers, all handspring skills including combos, and even managed to teach herself both standing and running tuck! We were shocked, but thrilled that we seemed to finally find her 'thing'. And then it happened, a complete fluke on a trampoline where someone distracted her and she bailed on a handspring and landed on her neck. I am sure she thought she had broken her neck for a second, although she was perfectly fine. She was pretty shaken up by it, and went into a complete back tumbling mental block the next day. We are now entering month 4 of her still struggling just to throw a standing handspring. Forget running tumbling....she won't even attempt it. Although we know the fall was the trigger, I think that learning too fast put her at a much higher risk of blocking. Anyone else have a fast learner who struggled with blocks? I just think her mind may not have been as ready to do this stuff as her body was, and the very first time she had a fall, it freaked. I have seen other girls break bones tumbling, and not block when they return.
My 10 yr old is only in her 2nd year of cheer. No previous gymnastic or dance experience. When she started her last season, she could barely do a cartwheel. Her tumbling coach actually had to spend her first 3 lessons teaching her how to do a proper front roll. And then things started happening very quickly. By the end of her first season (level 1), she had front/back walkovers, all handspring skills including combos, and even managed to teach herself both standing and running tuck! We were shocked, but thrilled that we seemed to finally find her 'thing'. And then it happened, a complete fluke on a trampoline where someone distracted her and she bailed on a handspring and landed on her neck. I am sure she thought she had broken her neck for a second, although she was perfectly fine. She was pretty shaken up by it, and went into a complete back tumbling mental block the next day. We are now entering month 4 of her still struggling just to throw a standing handspring. Forget running tumbling....she won't even attempt it. Although we know the fall was the trigger, I think that learning too fast put her at a much higher risk of blocking. Anyone else have a fast learner who struggled with blocks? I just think her mind may not have been as ready to do this stuff as her body was, and the very first time she had a fall, it freaked. I have seen other girls break bones tumbling, and not block when they return.

I had a mental block cheering in college. Many factors contributed to it including injury. With that being said getting help is hard. I wanted help, but if I felt that I would be forced to do the skill I could not make myself go to the gym. I was also really embarrassed about my block. I felt that I was letting down my team. If my daughter has a mental block Debbie Love would be my first call. A block will take time to get over, possibly a lot of time.

I think it would have helped me to go to a gym where I was not known. Or using a coach that I didn't know so I would not feel like I was disappointing them. I went to my all-star gym for help but I felt all eyes were on me. If using Debbie is not an option I would look for a coach that is willing to use Debbie's techniques. Do not push your daughter. But support her and let her know that you know she can do it. Mental blocks are no fun. Good luck.

So, I have a question for anyone, but especially coaches.......
We are still really struggling. She had been doing her standing handspring for the last 2.months, but no other level 2 skills, and now this week, she is blocking on the standing handspring again. Her stress level is at an Insane level....not good for anyone let alone an 11 yr old child. She insists she wants to stay in cheer (season is over in May), but I cannot watch her beat herself up over this for another year. She feels like she is letting her team down, and there are a lot of tears.
So, I have not mentioned this to her yet, but I am thinking of proposing to her that if she stay in cheer, she drop back down to level 1 for a year. She would be one of the strongest on the team, also one of the oldest putting her in a leadership position, and she has friends still on the team from her first year. Plus, she loves the coach. As a mom, I think a break from constantly feeling like she needs to get her handspring back, and just having some fun, might be just what she needs to relieve the pressure that is weighing her down. Heck, she might even start tumbling again on her own simply because she wants to and not because she HAS to.
I know she might see going back down a level as a failure at first, but I think in the end, she might be happy she did.
Any thoughts or advice on this?

So, I have a question for anyone, but especially coaches.......
We are still really struggling. She had been doing her standing handspring for the last 2.months, but no other level 2 skills, and now this week, she is blocking on the standing handspring again. Her stress level is at an Insane level....not good for anyone let alone an 11 yr old child. She insists she wants to stay in cheer (season is over in May), but I cannot watch her beat herself up over this for another year. She feels like she is letting her team down, and there are a lot of tears.
So, I have not mentioned this to her yet, but I am thinking of proposing to her that if she stay in cheer, she drop back down to level 1 for a year. She would be one of the strongest on the team, also one of the oldest putting her in a leadership position, and she has friends still on the team from her first year. Plus, she loves the coach. As a mom, I think a break from constantly feeling like she needs to get her handspring back, and just having some fun, might be just what she needs to relieve the pressure that is weighing her down. Heck, she might even start tumbling again on her own simply because she wants to and not because she HAS to.
I know she might see going back down a level as a failure at first, but I think in the end, she might be happy she did.
Any thoughts or advice on this?

I've said this before, but I have seen kids REALLY thrive on a different level team after a block (either crossing down or being on a lower level team only.)

The pressure is gone and they feel like they are actually contributing to the team, and not CHASING SKILLS.

However, I would NOT use this as an ultimatum of sorts to get her to tumble. Ex: You need to do this or you are going to be level 1 next year.

The key with blocks is letting the child take the lead and listening to that.

I've said this before, but I have seen kids REALLY thrive on a different level team after a block (either crossing down or being on a lower level team only.)

The pressure is gone and they feel like they are actually contributing to the team, and not CHASING SKILLS.

However, I would NOT use this as an ultimatum of sorts to get her to tumble. Ex: You need to do this or you are going to be level 1 next year.

I totally agree with this. We have a little girl on our level 3 team that had been struggling with her level appropriate skills for a year because of a bad block. She's a great kid, and picks up routines very quickly. We had a little girl on our level 1 get hurt, so we asked the little one from level 3 to cross over because we knew she would be able to get the job done, and that she would be excited to get to contribute to the team. She has THRIVED. She is now throwing all of her level 3 skills again, and is now basing level 3 in elites and their pyramid. She was doing none of that prior to crossing over. She is a totally different kid in the gym now, she isn't anxious anymore and is always very excited to be there. It has been so good for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh gosh no.....this is not a ploy to get her to get her skills. I am dead serious about this. The stress level is at an unhealthy level right now, and as a mom, I cannot allow this to continue. I think she will thrive on the level 1 team with confidence because she will be a big asset to them

Oh gosh no.....this is not a ploy to get her to get her skills. I am dead serious about this. The stress level is at an unhealthy level right now, and as a mom, I cannot allow this to continue. I think she will thrive on the level 1 team with confidence because she will be a big asset to them

I wasn't saying you were, I was just putting that out there as there are people who will do that thinking it will help.

I wasn't saying you were, I was just putting that out there as there are people who will do that thinking it will help.
I would believe it. I have seen parents threaten and bribe sadly. At the end of the day, I just want her to be happy. Staying in cheer with thus stress will not make her happy, but at the same time taking her out of cheer won't make her happy either. I think moving her down a level will be the best and healthiest compromise for her right now

I definitely think it could be a good thing for her. I kept my cp down this year so she could have a season of fully contributing and not chasing a skill. It has been an amazing year. I also think that it might work out good if it also means that she gets a different coach next season. Sometimes that is all it takes for it to click

I definitely think it could be a good thing for her. I kept my cp down this year so she could have a season of fully contributing and not chasing a skill. It has been an amazing year. I also think that it might work out good if it also means that she gets a different coach next season. Sometimes that is all it takes for it to click

In all fairness, her team coach has been wonderful in this.....no pressure at all and she is a wonderful coach. In our circumstances, the pressure is self induced.n I have a competitive child who likes perfection, and is extremely hard on herself when things don't go perfectly. I do agree with you though....oftentimes, in these scenarios, a coaching change is helpful.

If she wants to continue to cheer, I'd absolutely bring her down a level and let her have a fun year where she can contribute to all areas of the routine.

My daughter had a similar experience... She rebounded badly out of a tuck combo

Back