Can Learning Skills Too Fast Put You At Risk For Mental Blocks?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Not so much ages as events or types

• Puberty - usually this is the first time we see it. The athlete that tumbles with power all of a sudden gets scared of it. The body changes and now they have to learn how to tumble in their new body.
  • Growth Spurts - center of gravity shifts slightly. This is when tumbling feels weird or different than it used to
  • Injury - The first time an athlete gets injured tumbling there is that realization that they really can be hurt. This often leads towards blocking or altering how they once did things in a means to prevent themselves from getting hurt again.
  • Seeing someone else get hurt - Especially if it is someone that is close to them or someone they look up to tumbling wise. In their mind if ____ got hurt doing it and they are so much better than me, then I can get hurt doing it too. Now it is understood that they can get hurt.
  • Struggling with a skill when previously everything has been learned so quickly or effortlessly. The brain goes into overdrive thinking what is wrong.
  • Things going on at home. Divorce, mom dating a new guy, dad dating a new woman, new brother or sister, finally understanding parents really can't afford it cheer so they athlete feels guilty.
  • Bribes - If I get this skill I will get ______ This rarely works long term and can lead to athlete shutting down
  • Mismatched learning vs teaching styles.
  • Lack of foundation skill sets or shapes. This is the most overlooked area especially in cheer where there is still the scoresheet says we need it so you better throw it type mentality. We still want the result to the point we circumvent the proper process or progressions.
  • OCD or Perfectionist type behavior. In these types once you mention to fix one thing, they are already thinking about everything else that is wrong, usually when there may be nothing else wrong.
My daughter's block is due to a combination of factors from this list. She learned insanely fast...front roll to standing tuck in less than a year and then the very first time she had a big fall (a complete fluke) it shook her to the core, and she is a perfectionist (a big issue at school as well). She is almost 11 years old, so there may also be some growth spurt issues going on, although I think it is mostly fear because throughout the entire block, she will tumble on a soft surface like crash mat or bed perfectly without hesitation. Throughout it all, there has been a pattern where she will eventually start to tumbling on the floor again, only to start blocking again a few days later again. All it takes is one little trigger. She cannot seem to maintain her confidence. I should add that my daughter is very sensitive too, and I think this made her more susceptible. She takes everything that is said to her to heart and very personally, so her confidence can made or broken by a simple comment by the right or wrong person.

Last edited:
How long did her longest block last? We are at 4 1/2 months now, and it seems like forever, but I guess in the grand scheme of things, it really isn't that long at all.
19 months. And by block, I mean that she wouldn't go backwards at all without a heavy spot. She said that she tried, but her body just said "na-uh, not gonna happen."

19 months. And by block, I mean that she wouldn't go backwards at all without a heavy spot. She said that she tried, but her body just said "na-uh, not gonna happen."
OH wow! Good for her for not giving up!

@tumbleyoda how long does it usually take you to tell what kind of learners your athletes are?

Honestly it doesn't take me long at all because I look for it because I understand the connection between that and efficiently learning new concepts and skills. The longest I would say would be a month s 4-5 lessons. If it is a private it is usually 2-3. Anyone who is concerned with developing teaching concepts and skills that are greater than the 1 or 2 superstar athletes that every facility has, should be looking for it.

IMO that is one of the true characteristics of a block. Nothing at all works backwards. When they can do a tuck but not a BHS, or can tumble on something soft instead of floor, there are other issues that I look at before just throwing it into the it's a block category.

IMO that is one of the true characteristics of a block. Nothing at all works backwards. When they can do a tuck but not a BHS, or can tumble on something soft instead of floor, there are other issues that I look at before just throwing it into the it's a block category.
What kinds of other issues? My daughter will throw a perfect backhandspring on any soft surface, or even on the floor with a mat beside her (crazy I know!) but not on the floor once she takes a few steps away. I wish I could show you a video of what I mean, but I do not know how. This all started happening the day after she fell very hard on her neck in a completely flukey handspring accident (she bailed when something ran behind her as she was jumping into it).

What kinds of other issues? My daughter will throw a perfect backhandspring on any soft surface, or even on the floor with a mat beside her (crazy I know!) but not on the floor once she takes a few steps away. I wish I could show you a video of what I mean, but I do not know how. This all started happening the day after she fell very hard on her neck in a completely flukey handspring accident (she bailed when something ran behind her as she was jumping into it).

Falling (even if a fluke) is enough to get a block going. I don't like to make assessments without a visual and talking with an athlete, but from reading your posts it sounds like a lot of different things have come together right at an unfortunate time.

My process with athletes like this is to put them in a special mental block class. (If I am not running class for a session I do it in private lessons with a reduced rate) The deal is if they switch to this class, the cheer coaches will get off their back and they won't be harassed (that is often how it sounds to the athlete - you have to remember now the athlete is deep in their own head at this point) for not throwing their skills during team practice. They don't lose their spot on the team - another stress point. I keep this class intentionally small (under 5 athletes max) and at a time that it is a true sacrifice for the athlete and parent to come.

The first class I meet with the parents, give them a handout about challenges, blocks and my process and tell them to let the athlete be. That the skills will come back or they won't, but nothing is worth damaging the parent child relationship. Love that child and the fact that they by showing up to the class are trying to get it back. Again, remember the athlete is in their head and the parent is often dealing with feelings of frustration and failure as well.

From that point on I challenge each athlete in the manner that best fits them. I keep reps at an minimum. I constantly change surfaces and drills so that they never "lock in" to one area. I teach basics and lead up drills if i observe that they were missed and could be a contributing factor. The athletes are taught to only count the reps that they are successful on even if spotted, not the ones they blocked on. In some cases I may adjust their technique in lead up skills or give them a code word to focus on. I even have a graduation ceremony from the class. :)

My success rate is very high, but it is that way because I work in a cheer facility that supports me as a tumbling coach and director. I am not treated like an insignificant part of the program because I am not a cheer coach. We don't have the "anyone one can teach tumbling" mindset that is so prevalent in cheer because trained coaches (like me) are deemed too expensive or are too gymnastics based. They let me do my thing and I stay out their thing. Tumbling is run as a total independent program from our other programs. I write the curriculum, and progress reports for every class. I not only teach my classes but I monitor other classes to catch these issues before they get too full blown. And for us, it works beautifully.

If you have a video, feel free to email it to me at [email protected]. I will be happy to look at them and see what I see.

Falling (even if a fluke) is enough to get a block going. I don't like to make assessments without a visual and talking with an athlete, but from reading your posts it sounds like a lot of different things have come together right at an unfortunate time.

My process with athletes like this is to put them in a special mental block class. (If I am not running class for a session I do it in private lessons with a reduced rate) The deal is if they switch to this class, the cheer coaches will get off their back and they won't be harassed (that is often how it sounds to the athlete - you have to remember now the athlete is deep in their own head at this point) for not throwing their skills during team practice. They don't lose their spot on the team - another stress point. I keep this class intentionally small (under 5 athletes max) and at a time that it is a true sacrifice for the athlete and parent to come.

The first class I meet with the parents, give them a handout about challenges, blocks and my process and tell them to let the athlete be. That the skills will come back or they won't, but nothing is worth damaging the parent child relationship. Love that child and the fact that they by showing up to the class are trying to get it back. Again, remember the athlete is in their head and the parent is often dealing with feelings of frustration and failure as well.

From that point on I challenge each athlete in the manner that best fits them. I keep reps at an minimum. I constantly change surfaces and drills so that they never "lock in" to one area. I teach basics and lead up drills if i observe that they were missed and could be a contributing factor. The athletes are taught to only count the reps that they are successful on even if spotted, not the ones they blocked on. In some cases I may adjust their technique in lead up skills or give them a code word to focus on. I even have a graduation ceremony from the class. :)

My success rate is very high, but it is that way because I work in a cheer facility that supports me as a tumbling coach and director. I am not treated like an insignificant part of the program because I am not a cheer coach. We don't have the "anyone one can teach tumbling" mindset that is so prevalent in cheer because trained coaches (like me) are deemed too expensive or are too gymnastics based. They let me do my thing and I stay out their thing. Tumbling is run as a total independent program from our other programs. I write the curriculum, and progress reports for every class. I not only teach my classes but I monitor other classes to catch these issues before they get too full blown. And for us, it works beautifully.

If you have a video, feel free to email it to me at [email protected]. I will be happy to look at them and see what I see.

This is fantastic. You sound amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree! This sounds amazing. Tumbleyoda, I have sent you an email with a video....
Thanks!

Hi everyone, just wanted to give you an update on how things are going. Christmas break allowed her to de-stress significantly. Over the holidays, she attended a clinic at a local gymnastics gym, and loved the coach, and asked me if she could try doing some privates with him. So, she has had 3 privates with this wonderful coach and things are going very well. His approach is that she needs to be associating tumbling with fun again, and things will start to fall into place. His approach also is to not put so much emphasis on the blocked skills and introduce some new ones to build confidence. He taught her how to do an aerial from standing, and has started working on punch fronts with her as well. Because he is not solely focusing on handsprings, she is much more relaxed when they are doing them. She now has consistently had her standing back handspring for almost 3 weeks (yay), and will do her walkover handspring with a shadow spot. She also will do RO BHS on the rod floor into a pit that has a mat over top to make it less soft. Even more exciting is that she landed several standing tucks on the floor this past weekend with no help whatsoever. So, the focus now is to try to get her comfortably connecting again. He says she has too much power in her running tumbling and it scares her, so he is trying to teach her control and to slow down, and is encouraging her to do it from a power hurdle instead of running too much.
As for me, I am keeping out of it, and trusting that between her and this amazing coach, they will sort it out in time. The coach gave her a wonderful compliment too, saying that she is very coachable, applying corrections right away and this this is a big plus for her
Keeping my fingers crossed that things continue to go uphill.....

Hi everyone, just wanted to give you an update on how things are going. Christmas break allowed her to de-stress significantly. Over the holidays, she attended a clinic at a local gymnastics gym, and loved the coach, and asked me if she could try doing some privates with him. So, she has had 3 privates with this wonderful coach and things are going very well. His approach is that she needs to be associating tumbling with fun again, and things will start to fall into place. His approach also is to not put so much emphasis on the blocked skills and introduce some new ones to build confidence. He taught her how to do an aerial from standing, and has started working on punch fronts with her as well. Because he is not solely focusing on handsprings, she is much more relaxed when they are doing them. She now has consistently had her standing back handspring for almost 3 weeks (yay), and will do her walkover handspring with a shadow spot. She also will do RO BHS on the rod floor into a pit that has a mat over top to make it less soft. Even more exciting is that she landed several standing tucks on the floor this past weekend with no help whatsoever. So, the focus now is to try to get her comfortably connecting again. He says she has too much power in her running tumbling and it scares her, so he is trying to teach her control and to slow down, and is encouraging her to do it from a power hurdle instead of running too much.
As for me, I am keeping out of it, and trusting that between her and this amazing coach, they will sort it out in time. The coach gave her a wonderful compliment too, saying that she is very coachable, applying corrections right away and this this is a big plus for her
Keeping my fingers crossed that things continue to go uphill.....

Your daughter sounds exactly like mine!! Coach said the same thing! Tumbling needs to be fun again for her! CP is back doing her standing tumbling. Working on connecting the running. She says she has too much power in her RO too!

Best of luck! Sounds like you are doing the right thing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did great at practice last night, and then went to open gym tonight and was in tears because she was blocking a ton again. Sigh..... Wish I knew what caused this sudden drop in confidence today. Nothing happened to cause it that I am aware of.

I'm late to the post, but I don't believe there's an association with rapid progression and mental blocks. I've seen just as many blocks on standing and running back handsprings, as I've seen blocks on tucks/layouts/fulls. I've also seen rapid gain with not even a hiccup.

The truth is, every athlete is different.

Here's some examples that are all 100% true:

I know someone who was a naturally gifted tumbler who worked her way from nothing, to a full in three or four years. (High school age) One day her handspring was too high, and this lead to a cascade of regression, ultimately culminating in a standing back handspring being her highest skill.

Another athlete gained his skills even more rapidly, from not even a handspring, to full on a deadmat in ten months. No mental block. (Freshman in highschool.)

I hate to use myself as an example, but I started late (college age), and went from a cartwheel to combo to full in just under two years. Of course I had hiccups on the way, but I wouldn't call them blocks. I would throw my standing tuck, but not my two to tuck, so I worked on my two to rebound until it was stronger than it needed to be. I was scared of my full, and for a while I'd throw into a pit, or with a spot, but I was always progressing, and I feel like that helped me to not develop a block.

These varied ages, progression speed, and end results are just examples of what can happen. I have my bag of tricks, just like everyone else, to try to snap someone out of a mental block, but they don't always work.

Back