Can Learning Skills Too Fast Put You At Risk For Mental Blocks?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Not so much ages as events or types

• Puberty - usually this is the first time we see it. The athlete that tumbles with power all of a sudden gets scared of it. The body changes and now they have to learn how to tumble in their new body.
  • Growth Spurts - center of gravity shifts slightly. This is when tumbling feels weird or different than it used to
  • Injury - The first time an athlete gets injured tumbling there is that realization that they really can be hurt. This often leads towards blocking or altering how they once did things in a means to prevent themselves from getting hurt again.
  • Seeing someone else get hurt - Especially if it is someone that is close to them or someone they look up to tumbling wise. In their mind if ____ got hurt doing it and they are so much better than me, then I can get hurt doing it too. Now it is understood that they can get hurt.
  • Struggling with a skill when previously everything has been learned so quickly or effortlessly. The brain goes into overdrive thinking what is wrong.
  • Things going on at home. Divorce, mom dating a new guy, dad dating a new woman, new brother or sister, finally understanding parents really can't afford it cheer so they athlete feels guilty.
  • Bribes - If I get this skill I will get ______ This rarely works long term and can lead to athlete shutting down
  • Mismatched learning vs teaching styles.
  • Lack of foundation skill sets or shapes. This is the most overlooked area especially in cheer where there is still the scoresheet says we need it so you better throw it type mentality. We still want the result to the point we circumvent the proper process or progressions.
  • OCD or Perfectionist type behavior. In these types once you mention to fix one thing, they are already thinking about everything else that is wrong, usually when there may be nothing else wrong.

Last edited:
I don't have any facts, but I feel like about 11-14 when the child starts to understand fear and danger more. This happened to me, I could do a backbend with a "shadow spot" but not by myself (13).
I definitely agree @purplecheer with your assessment of the age breakdown... Although my daughter has never experienced a mental block, I did noticed her reluctance to learn or attempt certain skills, happened around age 11. When she was younger than 11, she will attempt skills on the grass or anywhere and I will force her to stop and often throw in the "break your neck" warnings... But at 11, she will not do any tumbling but bhs
outside of the gym...

@tumbleyoda Can you elaborate on Mismatched learning vs teaching styles ?

We all have different learning styles. Understanding how athletes learn and then adapting your teaching methodology to maximize that style generally yields the best results. IMO teaching tumbling effectively means learning to adjust your style. When people minimize this by saying teaching tumbling is easy so it don't matter who teaches it or where you learn it, it truly infuriates me because it shows their true lack and understanding of teaching tumbling.
33eqtyg.jpg

Learning vs teaching styles is what I suspect contributed to CP's longest block. More to the point, the frustration the coaches showed both verbally and in their body language, in addition with not changing how the world's most expensive BHS was taught were the biggest contributing factors. This is all based on hindsight, so it might be compete hooey, but it sounds right.

Learning vs teaching styles is what I suspect contributed to CP's longest block. More to the point, the frustration the coaches showed both verbally and in their body language, in addition with not changing how the world's most expensive BHS was taught were the biggest contributing factors. This is all based on hindsight, so it might be compete hooey, but it sounds right.

Yep.

There are kids who need you to really break down what you're trying to have them do and show them.

If they're paired with a "JUST THROW IT" coach who is always frustrated, it isn't going to work.

They're going to stay blocked and hate cheer.

I've known coaches to REFUSE to spot kids who really need a spot, with the idea that they need to "crash and burn" and it doesn't work.

Last edited:
We all have different learning styles. Understanding how athletes learn and then adapting your teaching methodology to maximize that style generally yields the best results. IMO teaching tumbling effectively means learning to adjust your style. When people minimize this by saying teaching tumbling is easy so it don't matter who teaches it or where you learn it, it truly infuriates me because it shows their true lack and understanding of teaching tumbling.
33eqtyg.jpg

I agree with this so much. I'm a visual learner, I gain almost nothing from someone just trying to tell me something (which was exhausting for my parents but whatever). When coaching tumbling, I always keep my phone handy so I can record and actually show the athlete what I'm talking about and how to fix the problem. The slow motion video on the iPhone is the best thing ever for my private lessons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the things we as coaches tend to forget is that the athletes pick up on our frustration and negative body language as well. This can add layers to the issue and make a tumbling challenge or true mental block last much longer. Now add to that a coach that tumbling (if they did tumble) was easy for them or a coach that is pulling their hair out over a scoresheet issue and this athlete is not throwing the skill that they had earlier in the year. Again it makes it worse if you don't understand the dynamics.

I agree with this so much. I'm a visual learner, I gain almost nothing from someone just trying to tell me something (which was exhausting for my parents but whatever). When coaching tumbling, I always keep my phone handy so I can record and actually show the athlete what I'm talking about and how to fix the problem. The slow motion video on the iPhone is the best thing ever for my private lessons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am logical, verbal and solitary. Give me a quiet gym, a whiteboard and a good listener and I am in heaven! Which means I have to get way out of my comfort zone to work with those who are more social or visual learners.

This also happens in school, and that's why some students find it hard to learn. Ex.
Teachers emphasise group work when you are a solitary learner.
Teachers give you a kinaesthetic activity when you are a verbal learner.
This isn't helping you learn, so school is less successful for you.

33eqtyg.jpg
Amen!!! If I had realized this earlier, my CP's training would have been much different. Different coaches have different views, training, ETHICS, temperament, etc. ALL of these should be taken into consideration. Each child is different and respond/thrive/progress differently. It can make all the difference in the world to them. Thank you for this information!!!

How long did her longest block last? We are at 4 1/2 months now, and it seems like forever, but I guess in the grand scheme of things, it really isn't that long at all.

Back