All-Star Cancel Cheersport?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It's nice of your gym to completely disregard people's safety, jobs, and the kids' school. :rolleyes:

If you were planning on flying on Friday morning, are you supposed to just "make other plans" and miss 2 days of work that you didn't ask for? I don't know about other people, but I'd get fired if I informed my job on Tuesday that I had to leave on Wednesday/Thursday for a cheerleading competition! Just curious if these gyms ever think about the fact that some people have to work to pay for cheer (and other less important things, like a mortgage)

*OK, bring on the negative ratings!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Okay let me clarify. Our original instructions were to be there no later than Midnight Thursday, as teams have practice Friday late morning. The gym isn't really asking people to leave earlier, just to make other arrangements. I'd say about 99% of our families were on Thursday morning flights anyways, so while it sucks for them to have to spend 12 hours in a car when they had planned on flying, there isn't really a need to leave much earlier because we were already instructed to arrive early. I don't think what they're asking is unreasonable.

Okay let me clarify. Our original instructions were to be there no later than Midnight Thursday, as teams have practice Friday late morning. The gym isn't really asking people to leave earlier, just to make other arrangements. I'd say about 99% of our families were on Thursday morning flights anyways, so while it sucks for them to have to spend 12 hours in a car when they had planned on flying, there isn't really a need to leave much earlier because we were already instructed to arrive early. I don't think what they're asking is unreasonable.

Makes a lot more sense.

(Fwiw I still think sometimes gym owners do not understand jobs, but that's one of the reasons we're not in cheer anymore. Different strokes I guess - I know more than one mom that's been fired over a cheer-related thing... I would NOT lose my job for cheer, ever.)

Were in South Carolina and getting the same weather as Atlanta. It's sucks and were all stuck inside, but with over a thousand teams I don't think they would. That would also interfere with other competitions too if they rescheduled. Just a question, has the power ever gone out at a competition before? Praying safe travels for all!

i can't imagine a big convention center wouldn't have some sort of bak-up plan like a generator!! :)

pittsburgh poison is comin through your area, causin mass hysteria!

Were in South Carolina and getting the same weather as Atlanta. It's sucks and were all stuck inside, but with over a thousand teams I don't think they would. That would also interfere with other competitions too if they rescheduled. Just a question, has the power ever gone out at a competition before? Praying safe travels for all!

Worlds 2011...Maryland Marlins Tsunami. LOVE (and miss) THEM!! Now I must go watch that video again.

I live in the atl area and the road is covered in ice but tomorrow will be over freezing so some of it will melt tommorow

i can't imagine a big convention center wouldn't have some sort of bak-up plan like a generator!! :)

pittsburgh poison is comin through your area, causin mass hysteria!

But a generator is not made to power stage lighting and music etc. It's just made to power necessary things like general lighting (enough to see, not full lighting) and heat. I would hope they wouldn't use that much fuel to power enough generators to run lights and music for a cheer competition with thousands of people without heat in the surrounding area. Generators are usually used for safety.

But a generator is not made to power stage lighting and music etc. It's just made to power necessary things like general lighting (enough to see, not full lighting) and heat. I would hope they wouldn't use that much fuel to power enough generators to run lights and music for a cheer competition with thousands of people without heat in the surrounding area. Generators are usually used for safety.

There is also the issue of the hospitals being full and needing any power the city has to keep going. Generators only last so long and if they get iced or flooded they give out. As much as we are all "cheer crazy" the rest of the state/country is not. I think Varsity would get a hearty laugh from city planning if they asked for power to run the competition.
I'm just glad I'm not in anyone's shoes having to deal with this because I doubt I would be driving 14 hours into a storm for cheer.

There is also the issue of the hospitals being full and needing any power the city has to keep going. Generators only last so long and if they get iced or flooded they give out. As much as we are all "cheer crazy" the rest of the state/country is not. I think Varsity would get a hearty laugh from city planning if they asked for power to run the competition.
I'm just glad I'm not in anyone's shoes having to deal with this because I doubt I would be driving 14 hours into a storm for cheer.
Look what happened when former Mayor Bloomberg wanted to bring in all those generators to power the lights for the NYC Marathon the week after Sandy...he wound up having to cancel the marathon because of the magnitutde of backlash from the whole city - how dare he bring in generators for the marathon when so many people were without power and water and had lost their homes. And that was a world-known, international event, not a cheer comp.
I think if people will wait out their travel and get there late on Friday (if possible), things will be a lot easier for them overall.

Last edited:
Look what happened when former Mayor Bloomsberg wanted to bring in all those generators to power the lights for the NYC Marathon the week after Sandy...he wound up having to cancel the marathon because of the magnitutde of backlash from the whole city - how dare he bring in generators for the marathon when so many people were without power and water and had lost their homes. And that was a world-known, international event, not a cheer comp.
I think if people will wait out their travel and get there late on Friday (if possible), things will be a lot easier for them overall.
Ooooooh don't even get me started on Bloomberg and that catastrophe..

On the plus, tons of runners/potential spectators donated time/food/energy to make sure people were fed, clothed, and the hospitals had all the supplies they might need for accidents.

Charlotte is looking like Atlanta two weeks ago.

I think the event itself won't be impacted as far as Saturday or Sunday are concerned.
What does worry me are the teams coming in from the NE US, Canada, and UK and how that will impact them.
The show will go on but to everyone commuting in.....PLEASE BE SAFE!!
We are only 2 hours away with bad traffic but I am exercising as much caution as possible. Atlanta traffic can be bad even in the best of circumstances.

Meanwhile, in Raleigh...
This was on the news. It wasn't photoshopped...
1920543_10152192564303431_259801825_n.jpg

Back