Can't Set On Round Off Bhs Tucks!!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 30, 2012
My tuck is horrible :( I have it by myself but it is pretty low and I throw my chest back when I set so I go directly back, I get far off the ground but I go straight back. I do alot of Sets onto my bed but it's not helping very much... My coach has plenty of new exercises to do tomorrow for it but I just can't wait!! Please help :(

**Will try anything!! First comp is October :) I want to better it by then!!

I don't know if this will work for you, but when I was learning standing BHS tucks and also layouts on the tumble trampoline, I would have to spot the wall in front of me when setting so that I wouldn't throw my head back.

I believe the fortheloveoftumbling website has conditioning specifically for backtucks as well, which you could look into. Just remember that you should be rebounding and then bringing your toes up to you in the tuck to rotate, not throwing your head back and then just tucking the knees.

Setting for a back tuck can be a tricky concept to grasp when first learning the skill, but it is imperative to progress later on to a layout and eventually a full.

I would be willing to bet that your difficulty setting is due in part to your back handspring. In my experience, a lot of people who whip their head back in a tuck to attempt to rotate because they come out of their BHS with their chest down.

Remember, your upper body should not be the primary force of rotation, but instead should act to gain height while simultaneously allowing the body to rotate backwards. This happens when you punch the ground out of a BHS with your chest tall. squeezing your core tight, and keeping an "open shoulder angle(arms fully extended by, or slightly behind, your ears.)" Your lower body should initiate your rotation as you begin to tuck and drive your shins, knees, and toes over your head. (much like the rotation of a backwards roll.)

In other words, focus on "standing up" out of your back handspring. Really snap hard and concentrate on squeezing your core, keeping your head in, and riding your tuck up like you would a rebound. At the top, be aggressive when tucking because it might feel weird the first few times you rotate correctly. It might even feel slower, or like you are beginning to stall since you are used to your head leading the rotation, which used the bounce from the floor to rotate right away.

Have a trained instructor spot you the first few times so you can focus on the correction and not be afraid to make the changes out of fear of injury. If you learn visually, a visual cue like watching the wall might help you keep your head in like "cheerforeverever" said earlier. Or if your prefer have a coach shout a verbal cue like "squeeze" or "stand up" to remind you while your going for it.

Hope this helps,
Coach Matt

I don't know if this will work for you, but when I was learning standing BHS tucks and also layouts on the tumble trampoline, I would have to spot the wall in front of me when setting so that I wouldn't throw my head back.

I believe the fortheloveoftumbling website has conditioning specifically for backtucks as well, which you could look into. Just remember that you should be rebounding and then bringing your toes up to you in the tuck to rotate, not throwing your head back and then just tucking the knees.
Thanks! Yesterday I did plenty of back handspring to tucks (with coaches spot) and eventually learned not to throw my chest back and to lift it up first :) Thanks again! :)

Setting for a back tuck can be a tricky concept to grasp when first learning the skill, but it is imperative to progress later on to a layout and eventually a full.

I would be willing to bet that your difficulty setting is due in part to your back handspring. In my experience, a lot of people who whip their head back in a tuck to attempt to rotate because they come out of their BHS with their chest down.

Remember, your upper body should not be the primary force of rotation, but instead should act to gain height while simultaneously allowing the body to rotate backwards. This happens when you punch the ground out of a BHS with your chest tall. squeezing your core tight, and keeping an "open shoulder angle(arms fully extended by, or slightly behind, your ears.)" Your lower body should initiate your rotation as you begin to tuck and drive your shins, knees, and toes over your head. (much like the rotation of a backwards roll.)

In other words, focus on "standing up" out of your back handspring. Really snap hard and concentrate on squeezing your core, keeping your head in, and riding your tuck up like you would a rebound. At the top, be aggressive when tucking because it might feel weird the first few times you rotate correctly. It might even feel slower, or like you are beginning to stall since you are used to your head leading the rotation, which used the bounce from the floor to rotate right away.

Have a trained instructor spot you the first few times so you can focus on the correction and not be afraid to make the changes out of fear of injury. If you learn visually, a visual cue like watching the wall might help you keep your head in like "cheerforeverever" said earlier. Or if your prefer have a coach shout a verbal cue like "squeeze" or "stand up" to remind you while your going for it.

Hope this helps,
Coach Matt
Thanks! I never thought of it that way!! I don't still quite have an "ideal set" but this really helped get me higher and not throw my chest back!! Thanks! :)

Summer I know you have it! My tip is that you should punch the ground to go super heigh, like mine are. Keep on working on it. I know you can do it.chillpill.

Back