Captain Or No Captain

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 19, 2012
We're debating on whether or not we really need a captain for our cheer squad. It seems to create too much drama. We are a small, private school. Our squad is usually no larger than 12-14 girls. No tryouts--everyone that wants to participate can.

I'd like to hear from others who don't have squad captains and how they handle the responsibilities the squad captain would normally take care of.

Thanks!
Paige

My high school team did not use captains this year. We had 4 seniors though, so the coach basically gave them duties that a captain would have, without giving them the title. I think depending on the year and the people on the squad it can either be a good idea or bad idea to choose captains. It really kept the drama to a minimum; seniors were allowed more of a voice than the rest of us, but without a captain title there was no worry of captains feeling like they should dictate everything the rest of us do.

We're debating on whether or not we really need a captain for our cheer squad. It seems to create too much drama. We are a small, private school. Our squad is usually no larger than 12-14 girls. No tryouts--everyone that wants to participate can.

I'd like to hear from others who don't have squad captains and how they handle the responsibilities the squad captain would normally take care of.

Thanks!
Paige
I cheered my freshman year on JV. We didn't have captains simply because our coaches believed that having captains made them think they were in charge more than the coaches. We had a rules system and a demerit system and the whole team was punished for acts, not just the person, to keep the order on the team. to be honest...I didn't really have much fun, having grown up an allstar cheerleader since I was 6, but there was order and we were clean. :)

I actually believe that you should have captains. They are the ones the new cheerleaders look up to for help or advice! Not the coaches!

Back