All-Star Cea Chicago

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have no knowledge of what actually happened, so I can see both sides of this . Many years ago , I was coaching a gymnastics gym , directing their allstar cheer program. In Dec, I was approached by investors that wanted to assist me in opening my own gym. I kept it private long enough to decide if it was the right choice for myself. The first person I told was the owner of the gym in feb, presumming that she would be ok with me finishing out the season. She was not an released me on the spot. I urged the girls to finish the season and they did , 3 months later I opened my doors and had a successful tryout with the least amount of drama possible. I guess what I am saying/asking is is it possible that the new CEA Illinois Director was released due to her announcing her intentions?

I dont feel like opening a gym mid season is a good idea.

I can relate to your story. Many years ago I was employed at a very well known organization who at the time was still in it's infancy. Although the entire cheer staff were volunteers at the time we all were very passionate about what we did so much so that it reflected in our routines that help bring notoriety to the brand name. Because of this I happen to be sought out by another big organization who was interested in hiring me. Although the offer was enticing I declined because of the loyalty I had to my organization I had practically grown up with. I shared this information with another coach and not even 10 minutes later I was terminated by the former owner for simply having someone inquire about me. At the time I thought it was really unfair but had it not happened I would have gone on to do some many wonderful things as a coach.

The general idea that most people have when someone is let go mid-season is that the gym owner must have been out of spite and I'm sure that happens as I've also experienced that as well however it is not the case with this situation at all plus there's always two side to the story. My take on any situation is right is right and wrong is wrong. Apparently the souring of the relationship had been going on for quite a long time. It just so happens that this was all being planned and it came to the light quite possibly a much earlier than planned. Once this new information was announced what gym owner wouldn't automatically think "you see what I mean…point proven"

I can relate to your story. Many years ago I was employed at a very well known organization who at the time was still in it's infancy. Although the entire cheer staff were volunteers at the time we all were very passionate about what we did so much so that it reflected in our routines that help bring notoriety to the brand name. Because of this I happen to be sought out by another big organization who was interested in hiring me. Although the offer was enticing I declined because of the loyalty I had to my organization I had practically grown up with. I shared this information with another coach and not even 10 minutes later I was terminated by the former owner for simply having someone inquire about me. At the time I thought it was really unfair but had it not happened I would have gone on to do some many wonderful things as a coach.

The general idea that most people have when someone is let go mid-season is that the gym owner must have been out of spite and I'm sure that happens as I've also experienced that as well however it is not the case with this situation at all plus there's always two side to the story. My take on any situation is right is right and wrong is wrong. Apparently the souring of the relationship had been going on for quite a long time. It just so happens that this was all being planned and it came to the light quite possibly a much earlier than planned. Once this new information was announced what gym owner wouldn't automatically think "you see what I mean…point proven"
I totally see what you mean. No matter for me, I would of preferred for this gym to open later, any evidence that they plan to open prior to the end of this season besides the parent meeting?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I have a daughter on one of the teams that was coached by the person who will be heading up CEA IL. She is an amazingly talented coach (my opinion). I wish her and CEA IL best of luck! I do not know what happened and I honestly don't need to know. It is what it is and all my CP can do is adapt and move forward. My CP is staying at ICE so no - not all of the kids are leaving! #frostistheboss

Last edited:
Maybe they are opening and doing half year teams?
The cheer season for most Illinois teams is Octoberish through about April, depending on what teams there are and if any bids were awarded. I feel at this point it would be too late to start half year teams since the program isn't already established.

The cheer season for most Illinois teams is Octoberish through about April, depending on what teams there are and if any bids were awarded. I feel at this point it would be too late to start half year teams since the program isn't already established.

Illinois gyms have always had quarter year teams even worlds teams for the hs cheer kids. One team from UA ended up competing in finals last year. Not to shabby of an experience for only competing maybe 2-3 times. I can totally see CEA gathering up kids to attempt this.

Illinois gyms have always had quarter year teams even worlds teams for the hs cheer kids. One team from UA ended up competing in finals last year. Not to shabby of an experience for only competing maybe 2-3 times. I can totally see CEA gathering up kids to attempt this.
But UA is an already opened and established gym. Does CEA have uniform (or even shorts and a t shirt in mind?), do they have a set location that is ready to go including equipment? Is there enough coaches to coach those quarter season teams? Theres more to logistics than just setting up and start working on a routine. UA already has all of that. Other than this gym will be in the Chicago area and who is running it, we know next to nothing. Also, many of the quarter season teams that are made in Illinois are filled with high school athletes, and state isn't for a couple of weeks I believe. I know my high school practiced 4-5 times a week. I'm not sure when the quarter season teams would practice until then, especially those that are traveling far distances to be there. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I believe it would be difficult.

Kind of off topic but I disagree with that comment and am actually kind of offended by it. A branded gyms does not equal winning Worlds, Summit, or even a Nationals competition. I've seen multiple PCM, Cali, CA, CEA teams not place first place. Heck, our teams even beat some of the branded/franchised gyms at PacWest or when we travel to Cali for Nationals. Do we still have a lot of progress to do? Yes - but I don't think we need a branded gym to continue making that progress

Eta I guess I can't speak for Oregon tho BC I don't follow those teams enough to speak for needing help. I'm speaking from a Washington standpoint

No offense intended, I don't think my point came across correctly. I'm not saying a branded gym does equal those things by any means, but I have been involved in cheer in the northwest for the last fourteen years and besides 2008 and 2012 I haven't seen any northwest teams place at any major competition (worlds, NCA, cheersport, etc). The northwest teams are good regionally, but not nationally. I would like to see that change. No offense intended, I would love to see Washington or Oregon or any northwest team do well on the national scene. All I'm saying is nothing has changed in the last fourteen years, why not bring in a branded gym and see if it would make a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6bb1df1f47b656c897a39a817b7785a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maybe this is CEA's solution to the traveling-is-now-a-problem issue that was brought up last season after NCA (and its judging results). open up gyms in different parts of the country, so you don't have to travel too far, and still be able to represent the gym in all parts of the country. hehe.

what ever happened to that "we won't be traveling for the '15-'16 season, because it affects school" thing? is that still a thing, or will they be at NCA? ;)
The only team that I know for certain not planning on attending NCA, at this time, is Senior Elite.

Back