All-Star Champions League 2015

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

She was there watching the show. She sat right in front of us.

I'm so jealous. She plays one of my fave. characters on GH! I tweeted about how if I was there I would've freaked because of that character and not Bring it On and she favorited it. I was speechless.

I can only speak for Woodlands Elite, but we do not attend Champions League to "thumb our noses at Varsity". We attend because it is another chance to compete against pretty amazing competition. I am fairly certain most of the other programs that attend Champions League attend quite a few Varsity events each year as well.

Yeah, all YALL saying there was a heat wave, I must respectfully disagree. [emoji23]
They predicted warmer temperatures for the competition days but in the end the warmer temps never showed up. You're right, nice in the afternoon but kinda cool otherwise. However, there's a heat advisery for this week if you'd like to return to LA. The beaches should be 85 degrees.

I can only speak for SE but our charity is the Brenner Children's Hospital in Winston Salem NC. (Maybe 15 minutes from our gym). As a program we do a lot to support this organization, not just throw money their way. I will close with , in the last 8 days SE has won $14,000 worth of prize money for Brenner's. That's something to be proud of! Perspective I guess.
I wonder though if you actually calculated how much was spent between the travel and hotels and practicewear for the comps how much more was actually spent than $14,000.....I think it is a wonderful thing that you are able to give it back to a local children's hospital who I am sure appreciates every cent and then some, and I do not question the sincerity and love that it is donated by SE, but I do question the authenticity of the EP's giving prize money to charity.

I wonder though if you actually calculated how much was spent between the travel and hotels and practicewear for the comps how much more was actually spent than $14,000.....I think it is a wonderful thing that you are able to give it back to a local children's hospital who I am sure appreciates every cent and then some, and I do not question the sincerity and love that it is donated by SE, but I do question the authenticity of the EP's giving prize money to charity.

But, we would have spent that anyway, whether there was prize money or not. (I went to UCA last year and wasn't in line to win any prize money. I went to CL last year and our team didn't win any prize money there).

I do understand those saying the prize money is a tax write off for the EP's because it does go to charity. So, people would have been happier had the money gone to the gym? I'm asking honestly , because I don't remember this same conversation when TGLC won the grand prize last year. (And maybe it was and I missed it).

Just back from CL and while I enjoyed the competition, some things happened that just "tainted" it IMO.
Here are my observations and information:
1) The athletes enjoyed the prom immensely.
2) Our athletes DID get the Onyx seats that we were told we would receive.
3) I was impressed with the amount of busses at the venues ready to take athletes/parents where they needed to go.
4) Saw lots of good sportsmanship this weekend. Athletes cheering each other on.
5) Saw lots of good sportsmanship between the parents as well!
6) Should have just bought the Onyx seats. In this venue, the Onyx seats were just a little farther away and pretty good.
The best seats in the house (lower level center) seemed to be reserved for the athletes. Which is fine with me, but
the difference in the price was not worth it.
7) There needs to be more parent/adult supervision. For the most part, the athletes were well behaved. That being said
there were reports of drinking etc. both Friday night and Saturday night (after competition). I know there will ALWAYS
be those few that break the rules. I think because of the cost of this event, there were less parents attending, therefore
less supervision than normal.
8) I will say that I had no problems with the "placements" of the teams. Some were so close that I could not have chosen
a clear winner and thank goodness I didn't have to LOL. That being said, I was confused (at first) about the Grand
Champion and how the awards were being presented. I think SE did a wonderful job Saturday night but was surprised
when they were announced GC. I was even more surprised when I saw the scores. The scores that I saw, were in line with
what I expected them to be. IMO I thought BSB would have been named GC.
9) The reports that the Grand Champion would be "judges choice" is confusing to me. I understand that there were different
panels judging divisions, but this way of choosing is just too subjective. There were reports that the coaches knew this. I
would LOVE to know when they "knew" this. Was this discussed with ALL coaches/owners prior to the event? I feel certain
that most of the athletes and parents did not know this. This includes athletes/parents on the top scoring teams. I think that
to avoid this type of situation in the future, we either name GC in both Coed and AG OR dispel with GC altogether at this
type of event. I include Worlds in this situation, as we ALL know the scoring there is ALL over the place LOL.
10) I will be interested in seeing how this scoring/awards affect next year's competition. I feel certain parents will be less
inclined to want this on the schedule after this occurrence. I am hoping the EP's will change this particular part of the
competition.
11) All in all it was a positive experience from most of the people I spoke to. VERY expensive for the east coast people, but
since we have most of the "big comps" in this area, it seemed only fair for the West teams to get a break.

Running an event is not nearly as easy as it seems. I wasn't at CL, so I can't directly speak to any issues that happened, however, Varsity and it's sub-companies have hosted thousands of events over the last 40 years. This was the second-ever CL event. Some growing pains are to be expected.
I can understand that. But I would also say, the flipside to that, is look how much there was to learn what not to do. When you have the opportunity to do something different from the ground up, I'd think you'd want to have all your ducks in a row. Regardless of whether it has anything competitively to do with Varsity (I'm just speculating), it's still a new competition that you would want to show you've paid attention to the details.

To be fair, I've never attended either CL event, and I'm just going by the quibbles people are posting about here. I'm not pro Varsity either, and would be happy to see an alternative product, if nothing else to spur change in the industry.

I don't remember if this has been answered, but is the prize money for charity raised through the athlete cost to participate and the spectator ticket costs? While the charity donations are honorable it just seems like so much money for parents to shell out, especially when most had to buy a plane ticket to the other side of the country, kids had to miss even more school, and there was the whole prom, that while a cool idea, costs money also unless you borrow something to wear. I felt awful for all the money my parents were spending on my cheering and we took one plane trip a year. I also feel bad for the other kids in these families that have siblings traveling by plane to 5+ competitions. My younger brother resented the fact that the only vacations we ever took revolved around cheering and that some of the trips we took he couldn't go on since It would be too expensive. Cheering, like these big teams are doing it, has got to be becoming unaffordable for middle class, two income families and that is sad. Gyms are going to start alienating their customer base. I'm feeling like CSP has the right idea more than ever now. Hopefully many gyms decide to scale back a little bit next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back