All-Star Champions League 2015

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

But, we would have spent that anyway, whether there was prize money or not. (I went to UCA last year and wasn't in line to win any prize money. I went to CL last year and our team didn't win any prize money there).

I do understand those saying the prize money is a tax write off for the EP's because it does go to charity. So, people would have been happier had the money gone to the gym? I'm asking honestly , because I don't remember this same conversation when TGLC won the grand prize last year. (And maybe it was and I missed it).
I don't really have an issue with the money going to charity, but it really is the parent's money that the EP is using as a tax write off, and that does cause me to side eye a little. At this point in the season I could use some charity from the EPs myself lol. The thing that bothered me about CL this year is that last year, the athletes decided they wanted to donate to charity instead of getting prizes for winning. I thought that was a great thing. This year the winners got prizes - kind of defeated the principal of giving to charity.

But, we would have spent that anyway, whether there was prize money or not. (I went to UCA last year and wasn't in line to win any prize money. I went to CL last year and our team didn't win any prize money there).

I do understand those saying the prize money is a tax write off for the EP's because it does go to charity. So, people would have been happier had the money gone to the gym? I'm asking honestly , because I don't remember this same conversation when TGLC won the grand prize last year. (And maybe it was and I missed it).
I guess because CL this year was a much more costly trip than it was for you last year (or UCA) for that matter simply because of the location.

I don't recall any discussion about the tax write off for the EP last year either when TGLC won.

Last year's though seemed more like competition first, movie second whereas from what I've read this year seemed more about the movie first.

since I brought it up I'll comment. I didn't mention it last year because again I figured people would think I was anti-charity.. but I thought it. This has nothing to do with SE since all 3 winners at CL got money and I think top 3 of TC won money, as well.

My suggestion was just lowering the overall cost to participate and save the parents money, not give it to the gym at all.

Those are valid arguments. I can definitely see it from that standpoint. And I wasn't insinuating the charity thing was an issue because it was us who won. It was an honest question because I don't remember reading about it last year. (But I'm old, and I forget things....lol)

As far as the team winning prizes that is news to me. But as you know @quitthedrama I felt very uninformed from before we left until the morning we flew out! It wasn't a TM/gym not passing info down. I believe she asked many times for more information, there was just none coming.

I felt like the different ticket prices meant nothing.

I really enjoyed the buses and thought those worked beautifully. I sat outside the hotel a lot of Saturday and never saw teams or parents waiting more than 10 minutes to be picked up. At the end of the night they were all lined up out front waiting to take you back. That part worked without a hitch!

I have a lot more to say but ...... Haven't decided what I want to hold back or share yet. Lmao.

Last edited:
I feel that the lack of information and/or the misinformation provided impacted this event in a big way. My CP was competing on a
Level 3 team so I have no opinion on the Prom and transportation etc. But, the fact that you couldn't trust the information provided on the CL website was an issue for me. I can understand some things changing with an event like this where you change location every year. However, schedules and venues shouldn't be changing days before the event takes place.

The issues surrounding the filming and athletes tickets was a fiasco. CL handled that very poorly in my opinion. I paid a lot for seats that were no better than the Onyx seating. And there were so many empty seats. They had to shift people down from upper seats just to have one full section for filming purposes. Our entire section had only seven rows filled. The rest was empty. Had they filled the venue with athletes their filming would have been improved and they would have sold additional tickets to parents. It was great seeing so many top notch teams all at one event. But with the filming things went slowly which wouldn't have been a big deal except we had an early meet time Sunday.

I saw a lot of good sportsmanship amongst the athletes. But, was a little disappointed in the sportsmanship exhibited during the Sunday awards by some of the parents at a few gyms.

And, what's up with the posting of scores and then removing them ....hmmm.

I agree with the lack of info and misinformation. It's so frustrating as a parent spending literally thousands of dollars for my family to attend a one day/one performance competition (J5) I would have really liked to know what was going on. We did the same thing last year and I felt getting information was difficult, but this was worse. From my athlete's perspective the first CL was definitely more organized. But she did say that competing as a J5, they definitely felt like they actually mattered this time vs last time. However, we still don't know if they're getting jackets for winning or when.

While I agree with whoever said as the 2nd time of an event there are bound to be some hiccups, hasn't aloha productions been around a while? Shouldn't they know how to put on an event by now?

Part of what makes this event different also makes it much harder to run efficiently. Generally, decisions are made by a consensus of gym owners in a democratic fashion. There is much to love about a democratic process, but it doesn't lend itself to being able to make quick, nimble decisions. The movie is also a really cool addition, but the production of it comes with a price. Shooting a movie throws all kinds of monkey wrenches into things.'

Above all, producing an event is MUCH harder than people realize.

I agree with the lack of info and misinformation. It's so frustrating as a parent spending literally thousands of dollars for my family to attend a one day/one performance competition (J5) I would have really liked to know what was going on. We did the same thing last year and I felt getting information was difficult, but this was worse. From my athlete's perspective the first CL was definitely more organized. But she did say that competing as a J5, they definitely felt like they actually mattered this time vs last time. However, we still don't know if they're getting jackets for winning or when.

While I agree with whoever said as the 2nd time of an event there are bound to be some hiccups, hasn't aloha productions been around a while? Shouldn't they know how to put on an event by now?
The division winners for the lower level teams competing 2 days at CL are getting jackets. The jackets are getting the team name embossed and then they're being shipped to them. I'm sure that they'll be doing the same for J5, wouldn't you think ? It wasn't until following awards that we even knew they got jackets. We had no idea whether they got anything.

While I can appreciate the difficulties associated with an event such as this, it doesn't justify the extent of misinformation.

I wonder who's responsible for what. GSSA has been around for a long time, so putting on a competition isn't new to them, but its not a GSSA event. CL is their own entity and maybe that's who's responsible for getting the info out there

Either way sounds like something needs to be done, besides the movie I don't really see the point of this competition, seems pretty expensive.

The division winners for the lower level teams competing 2 days at CL are getting jackets. The jackets are getting the team name embossed and then they're being shipped to them. I'm sure that they'll be doing the same for J5, wouldn't you think ? It wasn't until following awards that we even knew they got jackets. We had no idea whether they got anything.

While I can appreciate the difficulties associated with an event such as this, it doesn't justify the extent of misinformation.

We actually got an email regarding jackets last night!

That being said, my thought is, if the information isn't available because they're still working on a solution, could no one just say that? I also find it hard to believe that a fleet of school buses to shuttle people from hotel to event and tiny little cards with a map of the shuttle stops printed on them were all arranged, paid for and printed less than a week before the event (when we found out about them). That took some preplanning. I'm not saying we need a map, but "don't worry, shuttles will be circulating to and from both venues and all stay to play hotels" from the start would have been nice.

I do think that the types of personalities with the "big" ideas in cheer are typically not type A people. So, it's probably not super important or even on their minds to think of the details. its also easy for them to think type A's are overreacting and just need to calm down and it'll all work out.

I wonder who's responsible for what. GSSA has been around for a long time, so putting on a competition isn't new to them, but its not a GSSA event. CL is their own entity and maybe that's who's responsible for getting the info out there

Either way sounds like something needs to be done, besides the movie I don't really see the point of this competition, seems pretty expensive.

I wondered some of the same questions.

I get that running a competition is hard, heck running any business is hard as I learn everyday managing our firm. But when you open the doors to any new endeavor you better know what you are doing or make adjustments quickly. I don't pretend to be a fan of the "invite-only" competitions but if it's what the public wants then who am I to complain. However, don't start a competition/event if you don't have experience in it just as I wouldn't open a coffee shop, or a retail store, or even a cheer gym tomorrow without making sure I had all my ducks in a row. Things happen in the opening of any business but by year two things should be better not worse.

Am I the only one that doesn't think CL needs to "cover their tracks" at all?

With different judging panels, it isn't equitable to use just scores compared side by side to determine a Grand Champion. That is why you allow judges to collaborate an determine who they (as a consensus) feel was the best overall.

The only way to use JUST scores is to have the whole thing judged by the same people, which really isn't being very nice to your judges.

Back