Cheer Bows

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 11, 2014
Hi everyone!

I'm a 'cheer mom' from the UK and want to start making my daughter some bows for when she goes to cheer. The bows over here are so expensive!! I would like some advice from bow makers :)

1. What is the best type of material?
2. I understand bond glue is used to attach the material to the ribbon but, how do you do it? Do you cut two strips? There are no tutorials on YouTube for this :(

Thanks in advance for any answers :)

Hi and welcome! The bows I've made and bought are made with 3" grosgrain ribbon. If you want to add mystic fabric to it it's usually a heat bond adhesive that's used, and only used on 1 side. Then it's attached to a metal-free elastic.

However, some bows are sewn, and some use grosgrain ribbon in the middle and other fabric on either side. It depends on what you're looking for. It's easiest with the grosgrain, especially when you're starting out.

Hi and welcome! The bows I've made and bought are made with 3" grosgrain ribbon. If you want to add mystic fabric to it it's usually a heat bond adhesive that's used, and only used on 1 side. Then it's attached to a metal-free elastic.

However, some bows are sewn, and some use grosgrain ribbon in the middle and other fabric on either side. It depends on what you're looking for. It's easiest with the grosgrain, especially when you're starting out.

Hiya! Thank you so much for getting back to me! Oh thank you that's so helpful, I'm rubbish with sewing so I think heat bonding is my best bet :).

Just one more question please, when you are covering both sides with material do you cut two sides just a bit bigger then the grosgrain, then attach with the heat n bond on either side and then tuck any overlay under? Or do you use one big bit of fabric? That's what I can't seem to work out as there are no tutorials online! YouTube teaches me most things lol!

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated :)

Usually the border of the grosgrain is showing and the fabric is cut smaller to fit within it. Here's a bow that's grosgrain with fabric heat bonded on 1 side. The grosgrain is white and the fabric is the mystic teal and metallic white, with the grosgrain white showing on the edges.
76E181D9-EC6E-4435-A7F8-EBD15AF2EAB6_zpseixgtxgg.jpg

Hello! When it comes to our competition bows, we order them from specialty bow shops. However, I make all of our game time/special event bows! Here is a helpful YouTube video that helped me begin the bow making process:

Happy bow-making!

Back