Cheer Dad Looking For Help For My Daughter

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

And what do you do when your High School coach does not allow your daughter to go to these clinics/camps because they have team practice? Seems like they are the same time
Make the tough call and decide what will be better for your cp.

IMHO doing a year of all stars with the chance of learning coed stunting is way more valuable that a year of sideline cheer.

Please send more money

I think doing a year of competitive allstar cheer would be better for her for learning to coed stunt & tumble better & life lessons than a year of sideline cheering. I've done sideline & competitive & it's worked out in the past but differs by each coach/coaches.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Try and work with the High School coach from the get go to see what can be compromised.
Your daughter will have to prioritize and negotiate. This also goes for allstar teams, should that be something your family is interested in....you will have to work with both coaches hand in hand to make the dual schedules work. Compromise is KEY & it starts even before the tryout meetings. Communicate often and let your schedule be clear to all FAR in advance to avoid last minute conflicts.

Remember:
-Many of the kids competing for a college spot are allstar kids. Since you mentioned above that your daughter's HS team does not stunt much (and high schools cannot legally double down from stunts anymore), I would be thinking of how to get her that experience of doing elite skills that may be asked of her at tryouts. For example, as you mentioned Rutgers above:
"There are no set skill requirements to try out for the Rutgers Cheerleading Teams. However, the current All Girl team can do full ups, double down dismounts from multiple body positions, & transition stunts. The current Small Coed team can perform full ups, tick tocks, & many stunt positions. The Tumbling skill set for both teams includes standing back tucks, handspring tucks, and round off back handspring tucks. "
What they are really saying is : We can't require any specific skills, but the people that make the team typically have these skills MINIMUM.
As you can see, that is pretty true : Rutgers All Girl Send-off 2013 - YouTube

So overall, I would say:
-Get your child into stunting privates at a reputable cheer gym
(coed stunting + working on elite skills (full up, tick tocs, double downs, etc.))
-Get her into 1-2 years of Allstar cheer if possible to really polish those skills (taking it to the next level per say)
-Make sure her standing tuck is solid & be working those roundoff BHS tucks/layouts/fulls with good technique
-Understand that sideline is important as well (colleges like to see that you have that experience, strong motion technique, etc.), but on a whole, the skills are not on the same level as allstar cheer. You WILL be fighting against allstar kids for a college spot and it is up to you to hang skill wise, whether that be through private lessons or allstar experience or both :shaka:.

Last edited:
Thank You, this is already helping us, we live in North West NJ, right on the PA line in the Lehigh Valley.

If you are in Warren County, you have Valley Elite and World Cup Phoenix very close nearby. Both are in Easton and both have Worlds teams.

I know that Rutgers holds cheer clinics. There is a three day one at the end of July (up to age 18) and then I think there is a highschool one for possible students in the fall.

Last edited:
Hello,
I don't really know where to start, I am new to this forum and I will be searching and reading through posts to help educate myself on cheerleading.

I was hoping some of you experienced people can help me. My daughter is going to be a Junior in High School next year, she has been a varsity cheerleader (flyer) her freshman and sophmore year. She has been involved in cheerleading since she was 4 and has always been a flyer. She loves it and wants to cheer in college. I am told by others that she is very good (i think so too) but I am not one of those parents that want anything handed to my kids, you have to earn it. Anyway the reason for my post is I do not know how to help her get to the next level. Her high school team is not very good but she loves her school. Her bases are young so they do not stunt that much. My daughter has much of her tumbling accomplished, does strength and conditioning, her flying and stunting ability is far beyond her team. So what do I do to get her to be able to be at her fullest potential? And help her get prepared for college?

Thank You, I hope this makes sense. I look forward to your advise.
This is likely an unrelated comment, but I just want to thank you for being one of the few parents that actually tries to educate themselves about cheerleading. Most parents wouldn't understand (or care) how skilled their child is.

Last edited:
This is likely an unrelated comment, but I just want to thank you for being one of the few parents that actually tries to educate yourself about cheerleading. Most parents wouldn't understand how skilled their child is.

Not really intentionally knocking the OP, but I wonder how Susie has felt for the last 12 years she's been cheering but now that college is looming close, it's interesting for dad...

my kid is no where near close to college age (although I'm already saving!) but I would definitely recommend the co-ed stunting at an all star gym. in previous years we have had girls getting ready for college try outs come in to take stunting privates. most of the male coaches cheered college so they might have some insider advice as well. as for the clinics, if the schools she is interested in are hosting clinics then I would definitely make sure she is there for them. that way she can get to know the coaches a little before she actually gets evaluated.

also, I didn't read this yet but CheerMad just posted an article relating to college cheer so you might want to check it out...Making The Transition From Allstars And High School Cheer To College | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer

my kid is no where near close to college age (although I'm already saving!) but I would definitely recommend the co-ed stunting at an all star gym. in previous years we have had girls getting ready for college try outs come in to take stunting privates. most of the male coaches cheered college so they might have some insider advice as well. as for the clinics, if the schools she is interested in are hosting clinics then I would definitely make sure she is there for them. that way she can get to know the coaches a little before she actually gets evaluated.

also, I didn't read this yet but CheerMad just posted an article relating to college cheer so you might want to check it out...Making The Transition From Allstars And High School Cheer To College | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer
Looks like jist of the article is hire PC brands to help your kid get recruited.

Stop laughing, I'm serious. Please send more money

I'd say put her in all-star. The same thing happened to my baby sister, but at a pop-warner level. All-star cheer is an expense, but I promise it will push your child to new heights both as an athlete and as an overall individual.

Something you may be interested in :)

Proud to bring College Fest to South Jersey Storm! College Fest is open to all cheerleaders entering 9th grade or above! Collegiate stunt couples, stunt groups and coaches from Universities around the east coast area and a select few from other top notch cheer universities will be in attendance to instruct camp and answer questions! College information tables will also be set up with representatives for athletes to gain knowledge for their future college endeavors. The camp will include the following: stunting, tumbling, college info and much more. College Fest is only for students in the 9th grade and above. This camp is open to the public!
PRICE: $200
DATES/TIMES: 8/22 6:00-9:00pm, 8/23 9:00-4:00pm, 8/24 9:00-4:00pm
OPEN TO: Public, 9th grade and older

I do all star cheering and school cheer. with the collage thing my mom and dad takes me to clinics. Like I'm intreated in the university of Delaware and they have this amazing coed stunt clinic that I go to twice a year to help me work on it and they show you things you need to be able to do to make the team and it helps a lot.

Here's a list of gyms in New Jersey, some of them are better than others so do your research.
New Jersey
All American Allstars (Fairfield)
All Star One (Egg Harbor Township)
Castle Cheer Factory (Middletown)
CC Champs (Waldwick)
Central Jersey Allstars (Kenilworth)
Cheer Gym Riptides (West Creek)
Cheer Pride Allstars (Whippany)
Cheer University (Millstone Township)
Diamond Athletics (Southampton)
Envision Vortex (Eastampton)
Evolution Allstars (Bridgewater)
Fantasy Xtreme (Rio Grande)
Gems Cheer Stars (Randolph)
Jersey Athletics (Lawrenceville)
Jersey Allstars (Lakewood)
Jersey Elite (Manasquan)
JuST Cheer Allstars (Fairfield)
Katz Allstars (Ocean View)
Liberty All Stars (Jersey City)
Magic Cheerleading (Voorhees)
New Jersey Spirit Explosion (Cinnaminson)
Northern Elite (Flanders)
Premier Allstars of New Jersey (Newark)
Rams All Star Cheer (Hackensack)
Rising Stars Cheer and Dance (Millville)
South Jersey Storm (Sewell)
Spirit Factory (Toms River)
Star Athletics (Boonton)
The Cheer House Allstars (Garfield)
TNT Allstars (Maple Shade)
Top Flight Gymnastics and Cheerleading Academy (Millington)
World Cup Allstars (Freehold)
You said you live right next to the PA line, so maybe some good gyms in PA would be closer than the best gyms in NJ

Pennsylvania
Arcadia Aces Allstars (Beaver Falls)
Big Cats (Lancaster)
Cheer Excel (Downingtown)
Cheer FX(Sinking Spring)
Cheer Supreme Tiger Allstars
Cheer Tyme (Mechanicsburg, Greencastle)
Coyotes Cheer and Dance (Coraopolis)
Dazzle U (Harrisburg)
Diamond Cheer Allstarrs (Downingtown)
Encore ELite Wildcatz
FCA Gems (Sarver)
Fire and Ice Allstars (Allison Park, West Mifflin)
Full Throttle Cheer (Lancaster)
Harrisburg Fuzion (Harrisburg)
Hempfield Competition Team (Lancaster)
HotCheer Allstars (Elizabeth, Greensburg)
Hydro Force Allstarz
Kehlers Allstars (Broomall)
KX Athletics (West Grove)
Lancaster Athletics (Lancaster)
Legacy (Allison Park)
Millcreek Cheer and Dance (Erie)
MT Extreme(Lancaster)
Nittany Allstar Cheerleading (State College)
PA Storm (Washington)
Pittsburgh Fame (Penn Hills, Pittsburgh)
Pittsburgh Poison (Pittsburgh)
Pittsburgh Pride (Canonsburg)
Pittsburgh Superstars (Cranberry Township)
Pryzm Competitive Cheerleading (Waynesboro)
Puma Allstars(Palmyra)
Raiders Starz (Coatsville)
Raiders Xtreme

Raptor Allstars (York)
RocknRolls Allstars (Perryopolis)
Rock Starz Allstars (Newtown)
Spring Valley Heat(Pottstown)
State Allstars (Norristown)
Steel City Allstars (Pittsburgh)
Stellar Allstar Cheer Academy (Manayunk, Philadelphia)
Synergy Elite Cheer(Lancaster)
Tactical Full Force (York)
Titanium Athletics Allstars (New Freedom, Shrewsbury)
Tri-State Cheer Allstars (Havertown)
Twist and Shout Academy (Ford City)
Valley Elite Allstars (Easton)
Viper Allstars (Etters)
Voltage Elite Allstar Cheer (Lancaster)
West Shore Shock
World Cup Allstars Genesis (Olyphant)
World Cup Allstars Phoenix (Easton)
Xcel Allstars (Cranberry Township)
Xtreme Tumble and Cheer (Nottingham)
good luck!

Back