All-Star Cheer Hair

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nikki Moore

Cheer Parent
Mar 23, 2016
Last year CP's team only required a ponytail (which I can actually do)
This year they requested:
The hair is to be in a braid across the front top going from right to left (if looking at the front of the cheerleader) with a high ponytail.

CP doesn't have long hair this year and it only goes to her shoulders - we were figuring she'd have to do a half-up this year instead of the high ponytail. I kind of understand the braid but I'm not sure how I will do a high pony tail with it.

Does anyone know of any videos to do that style with shorter hair? I'm not even really sure what to search for.
Thanks!

If it's only shoulder length you'd probably be better with half up half down! Usually if you try to force it but the end of the day pieces will be falling out the back and look like a hot mess. But I think the braid with half up half down is super cute!

Rock your hair guy said to only add hair to the side of the braid by the face.

Last edited:
The only difference with the high pony and the half up/half down is whether all the hair, or some of the hair goes into a pony. For the braid, choose 3 strands at the scalp of the side part, right by the forehead. Begin your french braid with these three. Add a little more hair to the braid as you guide it across the top of her head and around the temple and over the ear. The braid should not be too thick but should still be able to be seen from a distance. My side braids are usually about an inch to an inch and half wide. Braid the piece all the way to the end of the hair and then do the high pony or the half up/half down. Once the hair has been secured, unbraid the piece that doesn't need to be braided (the pieces hanging out of the pony tail). This will also help hold the side braid in place. Bobby pin the braid at the back, by the ear and close to forehead to keep it from moving.

Just go to youtube and type in "braid into ponytail" and you will get a million hits. I prefer a dutch braid (braiding under versus over). I think it gives it a little something extra. For my daughter, it also holds better and allows fewer stray hairs to come out. (her hair is super thick and curly).

Here's one with long hair. But I'm sure you can just do it with a half up half down instead of full pony.

Eta: I'm too tired to find one with short hair lol.

Thanks! I tried last night and it looked okay - I was able to get it up in a full pony tail - would just need to spray the crud out of the back since she has a tiny bit that won't make it all the way up. But not any worse than what I had to do last year - she's never had super long hair which makes doing her hair a pain ;)

Just had her last comp this past weekend and I think I'm actually sad that it'll be a while before we have to do her hair again. I think I did my best braid ever for this last one. CP recorded a time lapse of it. I like it cuz it looks like I braid super fast.

Back