Cheer In College?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 16, 2012
I need some help and advice... I got accepted in my dream college in my country and the cheer team on it is the best of all the country and won worlds twice and I wanna try out for it, the thing is that (maybe some of you saw it) I made a threat a few time ago talking about my mom not letting me cheer, well she still won't let me and I feel really down, I keep stretching and trying my jumps at home so I want to join this team which is level 5 and that scares me a lot, they can help me with all my skills before competing with them so there is no problem but the thing is that what should I do if I get on the team (which is pretty probably because they said there is no problem if I don't have any real cheer experience) but my mom doesn't support me? Should I keep doing what I love or obey my mom? help and sorry for keep talking about this.:(

Do what you love -- once you're 18, your parents don't really have a say and they'll get over it.

My parents told me to quit cheerleading my whole life (so did my doctor), because of the injuries. I never stopped and cheered through college, until I fractured my spine (snowboarding of course). Now I coach.

Anyway, back to the point. Do what you love.

I agree with Cheer Coach above, however, if your parents are paying for your education they kind of have a say in what you do while there. If it doesn't affect your grades then it shouldn't matter. Maybe you can make a deal, guarantee them it won't affect your grades, but if it does be prepared to accept the consequences. Good luck.

Back