All-Star "cheer Is Not A Sport"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 14, 2011
We all hear that way too often. What do you reply to people who tell you that?

I say "then come and try it" a lot.

i tried to explain why cheer is a sport to my friends teacher and he said cheer, gymnastics, figure skating, etc are not sports b/c they are based solely on one's opinion, and my friend and i said well yes, but for cheer you have to meet certain criteria to get ur points its not just ohh i like ur bows and ur unis (or leos or costumes) so im gonna say u win 1st and he said its still not b/c sports like baseball, football, soccer, basketball, etc have like a place you go during the game to score(home plate, the end zone, the goal, the basket), and by his def cheer wouldnt be considered a sport. so i asked him if he would agree that cheer(as well as gymnastics and figure skating) was athletic and difficult and he said yes... so i kinda guess it just depends on thats person's perspective of what a sport is:/

but hes wrong... cheer is a sport:) my favorite sport<33

Definition of a sport... an active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition
Does cheerleading fit that definition? Well OK then. PS... sports generally involve competing in some type of activity where onlookers can watch and enjoy the competition... again... sounds like a sport to me.

I asked them their definition of a sport. If it doesn't fit their definition, then it's not a sport to them. However I will argue until I'm blue in the face if someone tries to tell me that it doesn't require athletic skill. I honestly don't think certain aspects of cheerleading is a sport (hs noncompetition teams). So it doesn't bother me because the people that are usually saying it's not a sport are the people that are completely unaware of allstar cheerleading.

I asked them their definition of a sport. If it doesn't fit their definition, then it's not a sport to them. However I will argue until I'm blue in the face if someone tries to tell me that it doesn't require athletic skill. I honestly don't think certain aspects of cheerleading is a sport (hs noncompetition teams). So it doesn't bother me because the people that are usually saying it's not a sport are the people that are completely unaware of allstar cheerleading.

ya it really bugs me when i say cheer is a sportand they say no cuz all i do is wave my pom poms around-___-

It really depends on my mood if I wanna put up a fight. Most of my friends and classmates completely agree that competitive cheer is a sport, and most of them came to the conclusion that high school cheerleading isn't a sport. I don't do high school cheer so I can't really speak about that, but as long as they consider comp. cheer is a sport then I am completely okay with that!!!

I don't really care. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. It doesn't bother me unless they belittle it or say it isn't hard.

Well when I hear "cheer isn't a sport" it's almost always immediately followed by "it's so easy" or something. What about that?

This is something my cp wrote:

I have been cheering for 6 years now. I myself believe it is a sport. A lot of people believe it is not a sport. Well sometimes that could just be and opinion. If gymnastics is an Olympic sport, whey can't cheerleading be a sport??? Well I am going to explain to you why cheerleading should be a sport.

"A sport is a physical activity [competition] against/with an opponent, governed by rules and conditions under which a winner is declared, and primary purpose of the competition is a comparision of the relative skills of the participants." With that statement cheerleading follows all those rules, so that makes cheerleading a sport. You have to have a lot of strength and muscle for competitive cheerleading. You have to be able to do a variety of tumbling skills. You also have to be able to hold a girl lighter or about the same size as you to perform stunts. Just like basketball and football, competitive cheerleading also has similar guidelines for competitive play. The cheerleaders have to stay within a certain area of the mat (performance floor) and the whole routine must be under two minutes and thirty seconds long. According to the National Center for Catastrophic Sport Injury Research cheerleading is #1 on their list for their serious sport injuries to women. ER visits for cheerleading are five times the number than for any other sport only because they do not wear protective gear. Many sports have gear to protect them such as hip pads, knee pads, shin guards, or helmets. Cheerleaders are tossed into the air and spiral down into the arms of trusted teammates.

So why do people think cheerleading is not a sport?? It can't be because cheerleaders do not use balls or manipulate objects. Wrestling, swimming, diving, track, cross-country, gymnastics, ice-skating and boxing are recognized sports that do not use balls. People think that cheerleaders are just "flirts in skirts" and their only job is to entertain the crowd. Cheerleaders today compete against other squads around the world and work just as hard as other athletes. Competitive cheerleading is a sport. It is a physical activity that is governed by rules under which a winner can be declared and its primary purpose is to compare the skills of participants. I am hoping one day cheerleading will become a well known sport just like football and basketball, and maybe even appear in the Olympics since cheerleaders are just as athletic and physically fit as those people involved in other more accepted sports.

I say "yup, and we like it that way. If we were a sport we'd have to follow rules made by administrators who have no clue what we do. We'd have limited practice hours and only get 4 years of eligibility in college. I'll take not having the title of sport if it means we can continue to cheer."

Pisses off the hubs when I agree with him too. :) He likes to get me pissy

Anyone who says that cheerleading is not a sport has obviously never ever stepped on a cheer mat or even been to a competition..so why would care what they think anyway?!?

This is kinda funny that this post was written. I'm in the process of writing a persuasive speech for my college public speaking class about this. We had to make a survey asking what they thought and the majority of my class said that it is a sport and should be qualified as one just as football and basketball are sports. When I did the survey at first I thought it would be completely the opposite of my actual results.

Back