All-Star Cheer Mashup

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think I am more tired of seeing people complain about Maddie Gardner than I am of Maddie Gardner herself. Maybe I am missing something and please let me know if I am, but from what I have seen/read/watched of her over the years, she seems to be carrying herself well and trying to represent the cheer world positively, unlike many others on social media outlets. Obviously this show is geared toward a younger audience but why is it automatically received so negatively here? Seems to me that CheerChannel has a positive mission and obviously MG attracts a huge amount of the fan base and demographic they are targeting, so why is it annoying?

In my opinion, she is advancing herself professionally while doing something she loves, and she seems to always do it with class and a refusal to respond to negativity.

I am in no way a die-hard Maddie Gardner fan and I hope this post isn't my social ruin on Fierceboard, because it is not written with any malice or aggression. More out of frustration that every time this girl's name is mentioned it always turns into a mock-fest. If it were any other cheerleader, we would just be having a normal conversation about the show and this would be a normal thread like many others.

Again, please let me know if I am missing something here. Just my thoughts!
Couldnt agree with you more :)

tumblr_m030g0LsLz1r0ubl0.gif

No.

Best use of a gif. Ever. You get ALL the awards! I laughed so hard.

It's more that Cheer Channel is using Maddie's fame to bring hype to their 'show' just like they did with Superstars of All Star.. which turned out so well.. :cow:

I don't think people hate Maddie, its more they dislike the cheerlebrity ideal, where the athlete is bigger than the sport or bigger than the team. I'd love to see a magazine cover with 3 awesome girls on the front and the title contain their names with the sub heading "Maddie's bases."

Cheer is and has always been a team sport, people want to see that, not someone taking bows after their routine while the team celebrates..

It's more that Cheer Channel is using Maddie's fame to bring hype to their 'show' just like they did with Superstars of All Star.. which turned out so well.. :cow:

I don't think people hate Maddie, its more they dislike the cheerlebrity ideal, where the athlete is bigger than the sport or bigger than the team. I'd love to see a magazine cover with 3 awesome girls on the front and the title contain their names with the sub heading "Maddie's bases."

Cheer is and has always been a team sport, people want to see that, not someone taking bows after their routine while the team celebrates..

I can understand this and in many ways I agree. But this happens with any sport. Quarterbacks in football get way more recognition and credit than the guys on the line defending him. Forwards who score all the goals in soccer get more credit than the defenders guarding the net. They don't necessarily deserve more credit than others, but it is the way of the sports world. These athletes are also the ones who keep the sport popular and attract more fans, increase ticket sales, etc.

I don't see a problem with the fact that Maddie Gardner (and many others) do this for cheerleading. I also don't see a problem with CheerChannel using Maddie's fame to bring hype to their show. Any sports show, sports magazine, etc would and does do the same exact thing. Sports shows and publications are popular when the athletes they feature are popular.

I just think it's sad that things often get nasty and a girl who is still only a teenager receives so much dislike and negativity when she has done nothing to deserve it.

Again, just my opinion.

I can understand this and in many ways I agree. But this happens with any sport. Quarterbacks in football get way more recognition and credit than the guys on the line defending him. Forwards who score all the goals in soccer get more credit than the defenders guarding the net. They don't necessarily deserve more credit than others, but it is the way of the sports world. These athletes are also the ones who keep the sport popular and attract more fans, increase ticket sales, etc.

I don't see a problem with the fact that Maddie Gardner (and many others) do this for cheerleading. I also don't see a problem with CheerChannel using Maddie's fame to bring hype to their show. Any sports show, sports magazine, etc would and does do the same exact thing. Sports shows and publications are popular when the athletes they feature are popular.

I just think it's sad that things often get nasty and a girl who is still only a teenager receives so much dislike and negativity when she has done nothing to deserve it.

Again, just my opinion.

I think more of the disdain is directed at the channel than the host.

Happy for Maddie, just wondering what this show will be about....Secret life of the American Cheerleader was enough bad cheer for the entire 2012-13 season...

(July 30, 12 Austin, TX) Cheer Channel Inc., the #1 news and entertainment media and production company targeted to the spirit industry, announced today that two-time Worlds gold medal cheerleading champion and member of Cheer Channel's Superstars of All-Stars, Maddie Gardner, has signed on to host her own tele-magazine show. "Cheer Mashup", a cheer-lifestyle format will air beginning October 2012 on Cheerchannel.com as well as Cheer Channel TV's, DISH Satellite Network and mobile platforms.

The show will highlight the latest trends in cheer along with news, fashion, health and fitness as well as special guest stars and appearances by Maddie's friends in all-stars and college.

Maddie, 18, and a freshman at the University of North Carolina, said,

"I'm so excited for this opportunity to provide fans of cheerleading an inside look at what it means to be a cheerleader today, with a glimpse into a sports lifestyle that is fun, unique, entertaining, and informative for cheerleaders of all ages."

"Maddie Gardner is the first athlete that came to mind and she is the perfect host for 'Cheer Mashup' , said Cindy Villarreal, CEO and Founder of the Cheer Channel. "Cheerleaders everywhere will enjoy her bubbly personality and sense of humor, as well as her insights into the cheerleading lifestyle."

Two versions of the show will be available to audiences and participating sponsors; a shorter segment for online networks, and an extended version for television. Segments will include: "What's Hot, What's Not!," "Ask Maddie," "Girls and Guys," "First Cakes," "Best of the Week" "Cheer Follies" and "Makeup Shakeup".

"Cheer Mashup" will consist of 8 original episodes, once per month beginning in October and will shoot in Los Angeles, North Carolina, and at various events and competitions, including some rather surprising and exciting destinations," said Lance H. Robbins, President of CCI and Executive Producer of the show.
She is an adult, doing her thing. As stated, she is going into broadcast journalism and this seemed like a good opportunity to her to begin her career. Now, fire away, she is definitely putting herself out there and can take the criticism and the support, but she plans this to be an entertaining and serious look at cheer. She is being compensated for her time and shooting is planned around her school commitments.

If this is what Maddie wants to do then by all means she should! I look up to her as an inspiration and who knows what this show will be like. We don't know what it is EXACTLY all about so obviously assumptions are going to be made. Hopefully it will be something we all enjoy or at least can say positive things about (which can be hard). In conclusion, good luck to Maddie in her Freshman year with her studies, cheer, and this show. Hope all goes well for her!

She is an adult, doing her thing. As stated, she is going into broadcast journalism and this seemed like a good opportunity to her to begin her career. Now, fire away, she is definitely putting herself out there and can take the criticism and the support, but she plans this to be an entertaining and serious look at cheer. She is being compensated for her time and shooting is planned around her school commitments.
As I stated before, I am happy for Maddie, but skeptical. This is the same channel that told us how great Secret Cheerleader would be and had many of us believing that it would be a show about amazing allstar cheerleaders, when it fact, it was like a bad ABC family show, using talented kids to boost their ratings. If it can be as serious and entertaining as Maddie wants, then in will tune, everytime it's on; however, if it is another show that plays into the stereotypes that cheerleaders get, then they won't have my support. Either way I wish Maddie the best of luck in all of her future endeavors.

I think this is great for Maddie. Its amazing because she wants to be a journalist, and this is semi journalism! (kinda i guess?)
I HATE HOW CHEER CHANNEL IS A WEB CHANNEL! GRRRRR. Seriously though.... Its all on youtube and facebook:confused:

Back