Cheer Pet Peeves?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

- Flyers that don't stretch.
- Anyone that doesn't stretch - sweetie your hurdler should be closer to your head, not the floor.
- When little girls are based by like 4 body builders and are called AMAZING.
- Hair being different. I don't care if you look dumb with all your hair pulled back, we all have to do it, so do it!
- High schools doing college level stunts, seriously you're going to injure someone.
- Knees bent in arabesques.
- How can fishing or darts be called a sport and cheerleading isn't. Like what?? How does that even work?

• That small group of girls on the team that practically refuse to wear makeup to competitions and have everyone else do it for them at the very last minute. You want to be a part of a sport that doesn't wear makeup? Go play softball.

OH. MY. GOD. Softball players. I was in a class with a few softball girls last semester and one said that cheerleading isn't a sport because "all we do is kick." I wanted to yell "WELL ALL YOU DO IS THROW A BALL. I THROW PEOPLE." and then I went on a huge rant in class. This is also after they saw us hit two 1-1-1's at a game when they were right in front of us. REALLY?! I'd like to see your fat (expletive) stack each other three people high.

Not that I have anything against other softball players - just these few.

• When you get a new stunt group and your bases don't want to stunt you so they give zero effort and blame it all on you. i'm pulling up, staying tight. keeping my butt and chest in, not toeing, not heeling, and you usually hold a flyer 2x my size. Obviously you aren't trying.
  • Visible tattoos
  • When bases are more flexible than their flyer
Does it bother u that the flyers arent as flexible or the bases are stretching for no reason? I think it is cause the flyers need to take it seriously, but that's just me :) in my profile pic I have a dorito scorp :p but thats because that was last year when I first started and had 0 flexibility lol now i'm a base but have almost got a perfect needle :) It just bugs me....

What are some of your cheer pet peeves?
Here are mine...

-When flyers aren't felxible enough to hold the bottom of their foot on a heelstretch, but instead hold their ankle.
-Jumps that have flexed feet and land their legs a mile wide apart.
-Slow tumblers.
-Walking into a competition arena and teams are walking around in their spankys and sports bra.
-Slow award ceremonies.
-Sloppy hair and makeup looks like its been thrown on at the last second.
-When flyers stick their elbows out on full downs/double downs.
-Bad and slow music.
-Not being ready (hair down, makeup not on, uniform off) when you get to the arena.
-Cowboyed out back tucks.
-Girls walking around with their uniform unzipped and skirts unbuttoned after the routine.
-Inconsiderate teams that walk infront of you in the middle of watching someones routine.
-Teams that take forever to get off the warm up mat.

Anyone else have pet peeves that are cheer related? :)

I want to answer this question, but i don't know what pet peeves are.
Can you tell me?:)

Also crazy cheer moms who try to pull strings to get their kids in the air when
a. The child doesn't even want to be a flyer, and/or
b. The child CLEARLY doesn't have the body type/flexibility to be a flyer
SO many moms are obsessed with their daughter flying!! I just don't understand what the big deal is??

I hear you! Personally this mom loved it when her daughter's feet stay on the ground:)

So I know I already posted a huge rant, but I just realized something that has been getting under my skin for ages.

In every single news video about all star cheerleading it's always introduced saying something like "You won't find them on the sidelines with pom poms!" I feel like it makes high school or college cheer seem how it was in the 60's where all they did was stand on the sideline and cheer teams on. Nowadays, school cheerleading is so much harder and time consuming and has been downcast by the media in the shadow of all star cheer. There was Cheerleader Nation six years ago, but now I feel that it's been washed out and forgotten.

I'm not blaming all star cheer, and I do realize there are high school teams that do just cheer on sidelines, but coming from a competitive college team that fights discrimination on a daily basis, it's incredibly frustrating.

Mine is where cheerleaders wear spankies as pants! I understand that they're comfortable and all, but I always thought they're meant to be worn under something.

Mine is where cheerleaders wear spankies as pants! I understand that they're comfortable and all, but I always thought they're meant to be worn under something.

Do you mean spankies as in the underwear-cut type or shorts type like Nike Pros? Because Nike Pros alone are the most comfortable thing I've ever put on my body.

-When people say "Cheer is my life." and hardly even show up to practice weekly
-Tucks that arent set up
-Cowboy backhandsprings
-bad attitudes at practices and ESPECIALLY competitions.

Do you mean spankies as in the underwear-cut type or shorts type like Nike Pros? Because Nike Pros alone are the most comfortable thing I've ever put on my body.

The sparkly type ones that people would usually wear under their uniforms at competitions. I think they're designed more as underwear. Nike Pros are designed as shorts, so they're fine (I actually really like them, I wish we could buy them in New Zealand!)

Back