All-Star Cheer Pet Peeves

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

sorry, that wasnt directed at you! it was more of a general statement! some people take it waaay too far (not talking about in this thread), but my intention was to just commend them for finding a way to say positively! and i agree, your response wasn't rude, and i didnt intend for mine to be either!

Yours wasn't rude ! Haha just wanted to make sure mine didn't come off as rude so I explained myself that's all ! Sorry

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I thought that term was in reference to their size and ability at that level. I mean, I spot the 5 or so girls who are half the size of the rest of the team and think 'flyer'. Then I follow them through the routine. If they can do all the jumps, tumbling, stunting and don't look like a full body heave in the dance, they are flyers. If they have zero tumbling, jumps lower than their mommas, and squat during the dance they are prematurely placed on that team: fetus. Let them cook a little longer on a lower team and get to full term.
It's not just about size but skill level also. Guess that's why the term doesn't offend me. Meh.

i dont get offended because to me "fetus flyers" mean solely flyers that are more meant for a youth or junior team, but are on senior. I've never looked at teams with smaller flyers and thought "wow that team has fetus flyers" but i have known teams that purposefully put girls that JUST meet the age requirements on senior teams ONLY because they're small and easy to lift, and thats what i consider "fetus flyers". i think its really respectable when gyms have the natural age progression and keep the younger athletes in their age group until they age out of it. thats just my opinion and hopefully i didn't offend anyone :)

I think what's offensive is the ASSUMPTION that a flyer is only there because they're small and the ASSUMPTION that they're under aged. There are plenty of tiny flyers that are age appropriate and hold their own/have the skills. Calling all small flyers fetus flyers is offensive to those who are highly skilled and age appropriate.

I think what's offensive is the ASSUMPTION that a flyer is only there because they're small and the ASSUMPTION that they're under aged. There are plenty of tiny flyers that are age appropriate and hold their own/have the skills. Calling all small flyers fetus flyers is offensive to those who are highly skilled and age appropriate.

Your daughter might be older then mine but smaller but in no way had I ever looked at the j4 team last year and thought your kid was only on there for flying.

To be in the front of jumps to have a tumbling pass with whips and punch fronts that doesn't just end in a layout.

And to be the smallest flyer but yet she is hitting every difficult part of the stunt... Not the flyer who cheats the full ups and tick tocks.

I don't care for all these remarks about small flyers because for every gym doing it wrong and bumping these girls up where they shouldn't be there is a gym doing it right!!

I know when she is worlds eligible and she gets put on that worlds team very soon because of her height people are going to pre-judge but once they see her hit her stuff they will be singing her praises. People crack me up and they need to get over it!

I think everyone here can agree we hate little kids who can just fly and not do nothing else but why don't we say we hate big girls who aren't good for nothing but backing and can't get off the ground in their jumps and can't tumble that level? I haven't heard anyone say that

Why is it only flyers we pick on..??

Can we agree that we just don't like kids who don't have ALL AROUND skills for that level ?

Umm really? Well that's your first problem. I see you're new here but it's kinda common sense to read a thread before you post. Some people find that phrase offensive because it can be derogatory. There are much better ways to say that, you could just say "small flyers". No need to be rude...
I wasn't being rude. Just showing something. I'm not stupid I did read most of the posts. I am a flyer and I flew level 5 when I was 12, I'm not at all upset by the word. People are entitled to their own opinions.

Don't worry, not everyone find the term offensive. I have used it for years and will continue to use it as I see fit. It is a good idea though to read through a whole thread before posting, especially since you are new to the boards.
THANK YOU!! I read through most of it. I didn't mean to offend anyone. But honestly, I don't see how the term offends anyone. Didn't offend me even when it was about me lol.

i dont get offended because to me "fetus flyers" mean solely flyers that are more meant for a youth or junior team, but are on senior. I've never looked at teams with smaller flyers and thought "wow that team has fetus flyers" but i have known teams that purposefully put girls that JUST meet the age requirements on senior teams ONLY because they're small and easy to lift, and thats what i consider "fetus flyers". i think its really respectable when gyms have the natural age progression and keep the younger athletes in their age group until they age out of it. thats just my opinion and hopefully i didn't offend anyone :)
I agree with you. I think it was in the twinkle documentary that they talked about putting kids on older teams. If I remember correctly it was Mrs. Pascale who said that as a coach you are responsible for the cps emotional and social development as well (I am pretty sure that was what she said). I think its fine a line to walk. you have girls who have the level 5 skills (for example) and are only 12 years old but they have no teams to work those level 5 skills and its hard for a cp to be stunted in their activities. But as a parent, I would have to really think about putting my 12 year old on a team with 17 or 18 year olds but it really depends on the child.

I hate when people who know nothing about cheer try to act like they do. Or pretend and lie about having certain skills. I know one girl who swore she had a double full for a whole year and when it came time for tryouts she only threw a janky bhs with a two person spot.

The term fetus flyer is making me laugh. My flyer was a 20 yr old who was 4'8" and weighed 80 lbs! I just tweeted her and changed her contact info to fetus flyer!

This post is verified by Chad Mulkey!

Your daughter might be older then mine but smaller but in no way had I ever looked at the j4 team last year and thought your kid was only on there for flying.

To be in the front of jumps to have a tumbling pass with whips and punch fronts that doesn't just end in a layout.

And to be the smallest flyer but yet she is hitting every difficult part of the stunt... Not the flyer who cheats the full ups and tick tocks.

I don't care for all these remarks about small flyers because for every gym doing it wrong and bumping these girls up where they shouldn't be there is a gym doing it right!!

I know when she is worlds eligible and she gets put on that worlds team very soon because of her height people are going to pre-judge but once they see her hit her stuff they will be singing her praises. People crack me up and they need to get over it!

I think everyone here can agree we hate little kids who can just fly and not do nothing else but why don't we say we hate big girls who aren't good for nothing but backing and can't get off the ground in their jumps and can't tumble that level? I haven't heard anyone say that

Why is it only flyers we pick on..??

Can we agree that we just don't like kids who don't have ALL AROUND skills for that level ?

I never had all around skills for any team I was on. I have been told I am an amazing back spot and base. I don't think people hated me for it. As long as the girl has something to bring to the table I don't think it's a big deal to not be "all around" at the team level. Some girls will never tumble. I have been working on my bhs for six years now and still can't get past my mental block! My teams didn't have full team skills, but we were able to do well with what we had.

Back