High School Cheer Practice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Who choreographed them?
Who knows? I think some have been passed down over the years. It is a new school for my cps which make it harder.

Our old school had a lot of the same cheers for middle school/junior high and high school. They used the same cheers year after year without adding many new ones.

I don't know if the feeder school teaches the same cheers, but I don't think so because none of the freshmen know them. A few of the girls just mouth words because they are afraid of saying the wrong ones.

My oldest is a junior, but isn't treated as such because it is her first year there. She was the loudest, most spirited at our old school and is at this one too. She has had students comment on it-she is in front of the band and student section.

The captain tries to get other people to call cheers because she is so quiet and doesn't like to yell it. She keeps trying to get the girl that was the team's choice for captain to do it and the girl tells her it is not her job because she isn't captain.

Good times.

Who knows? I think some have been passed down over the years. It is a new school for my cps which make it harder.

Our old school had a lot of the same cheers for middle school/junior high and high school. They used the same cheers year after year without adding many new ones.

I don't know if the feeder school teaches the same cheers, but I don't think so because none of the freshmen know them. A few of the girls just mouth words because they are afraid of saying the wrong ones.

My oldest is a junior, but isn't treated as such because it is her first year there. She was the loudest, most spirited at our old school and is at this one too. She has had students comment on it-she is in front of the band and student section.

The captain tries to get other people to call cheers because she is so quiet and doesn't like to yell it. She keeps trying to get the girl that was the team's choice for captain to do it and the girl tells her it is not her job because she isn't captain.

Good times.

I have to say that my squad has about 75 sidelines that they learn. Some have been around for decades, some I brought from my old cheer days, and some we've adopted from camp or YouTube. In addition, we have 8 floor cheers that the girls have to learn for basketball season, 3 team dances, school song, 2 sideline dances, and a boy/girl dance. Sometimes I wonder how they remember it all. lol

Somewhat off topic but since this thread is about high school cheer can someone tell me if artificial turf is an acceptable surface for basket tosses? The rules state grass or rubberized track so I am assuming not but would like confirmation.

Somewhat off topic but since this thread is about high school cheer can someone tell me if artificial turf is an acceptable surface for basket tosses? The rules state grass or rubberized track so I am assuming not but would like confirmation.
I would imagine it might depend what is underneath the artificial turf. You might try contacting AACCA or your state organization.

I would imagine it might depend what is underneath the artificial turf. You might try contacting AACCA or your state organization.
Thank you. The AACCA rule is pretty clear and our state organization is not helpful. I would think a coach would err on the side of caution if at an away game and she had no way of knowing what the turf surface was made of, but she demanded the team do basket tosses this weekend (my CP refused). Just wanted to see if anyone had any definite knowledge of the rule.

My rule is when in doubt, don't do it. Err on the side of safety and caution. I think she was wise. Did she get in trouble?

@quitthedrama
I agree completely!! She said the coach was mad. She has tried to have her do illegal things before (i.e. high to high tic toc) so my CP knows not to do something if she is not comfortable with it no matter what the consequences.

I agree completely!! She said the coach was mad. She has tried to have her do illegal things before (i.e. high to high tic toc) so my CP knows not to do something if she is not comfortable with it no matter what the consequences.
Yeah, our previous coach would practice basket tosses in the basketball gym with no mats. She closed practices when I told her that was illegal and she told the girls to "just do a small one".

Thank you. The AACCA rule is pretty clear and our state organization is not helpful. I would think a coach would err on the side of caution if at an away game and she had no way of knowing what the turf surface was made of, but she demanded the team do basket tosses this weekend (my CP refused). Just wanted to see if anyone had any definite knowledge of the rule.

I am very impressed your CP is able to speak up like that! She sounds like a great leader/role model. I worry if my CP's were in that position they would feel uncomfortable/awkward, but still follow the Coach.

I guess that would depend on the turf. Quite a few of the turf fields around here have the black rubber pebble stuff in them. I assume that it's ok for baskets on those because I've been to quite a few UCA camps that are held on fields like that where baskets are taught. I've also been on turf fields where it is fake grass looking stuff on top of concrete, while that is less common here, I would imagine baskets would NOT be allowed on that surface.

My favorite is seeing high school kids on school coach instagrams doing back tuck baskets.

Um.

My college team posted a video of a tuck basket on our team FB page...a high school coach then shared the video to her HS teams FB page saying "we have so girls we could do this basket" and then tagged some of the girls...ILLEGAL

Back