All-Star Cheer Safety And A Recent Fatal Accident At Cheerleading

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think there are tests and certifications? Honestly I think the solution will be a combo of changes at the top and education at the bottom.

If things were how people that they should be this would be a dead topic. Since it isn't I assume people desire more so I'm asking if anyone is taking any action to get us where they think we should be.

If things were how people that they should be this would be a dead topic. Since it isn't I assume people desire more so I'm asking if anyone is taking any action to get us where they think we should be.

I think they like direction and a leader. Interest is there. But who knows how to get this done?

@Andre - There is a required certification, but there is no required "course". I actually like going to camp and being forced to sit in "coaches meetings" and learning of new rules and regulations, having discussions etc. etc. My point is that there should be a REQUIRED attendance to at least ONE meeting of this sort. There are tons of conferences offered and so many options (yes I attend multiple) and I just think there should be a specific course that covers important safety topics and be again, REQUIRED!

@Andre - There is a required certification, but there is no required "course". I actually like going to camp and being forced to sit in "coaches meetings" and learning of new rules and regulations, having discussions etc. etc. My point is that there should be a REQUIRED attendance to at least ONE meeting of this sort. There are tons of conferences offered and so many options (yes I attend multiple) and I just think there should be a specific course that covers important safety topics and be again, REQUIRED!

I'll take care of the course if you take care of making it required.

I see a lot of gyms hire great ex-cheerleaders or tumblers but they have no real experience in spotting or teaching. Gyms don't want to pay for someone who has a degree in kinesiology (sp?) or sports medicine. It is sad that as parents we don't demand it. Many of us are trusting and paying coaches that have not had any formal training.

I see a lot of gyms hire great ex-cheerleaders or tumblers but they have no real experience in spotting or teaching. Gyms don't want to pay for someone who has a degree in kinesiology (sp?) or sports medicine. It is sad that as parents we don't demand it. Many of us are trusting and paying coaches that have not had any formal training.
AMEN AMEN AMEN!!!!

The sad thing is that there are still coaches out there that don't take the "no basket tosses on a hard surface" rule seriously even in the United States. High School programs especially. I feel like this article should be printed out and handed to every coach at summer cheer camps (NCA/UCA/USA etc.) with a discussion on safety. I know there's a little schpeel on safety and lots of "perfection before progression" but maybe it would get coaches out of the "it will never happen to me" mindset and into the reality of "hey! it can happen to anyone! real people have had this happen!".

The high school my daughter goes to actually allowed a tuck toss on the gym floor last season. The girl has since graduated and now they allow baskets. My CP is a flyer, but I will not allow her to do it. It makes for tension between the coach and I, but being her parent trumps being the coach when it comes to my child's safety.

There seems to be woeful indifference to a lack of supervision and organization for safety. Athletic directors don't want to be bothered and the states have no one to turn to because our industry does not have a governing body due to different companies fighting over who should control it. We need to have a non profit governing board with no employees of the major brands on it.

There seems to be woeful indifference to a lack of supervision and organization for safety. Athletic directors don't want to be bothered and the states have no one to turn to because our industry does not have a governing body due to different companies fighting over who should control it. We need to have a non profit governing board with no employees of the major brands on it.

Shimmy times 10,000... I love this <3

The high school my daughter goes to actually allowed a tuck toss on the gym floor last season. The girl has since graduated and now they allow baskets. My CP is a flyer, but I will not allow her to do it. It makes for tension between the coach and I, but being her parent trumps being the coach when it comes to my child's safety.
Ask the coach if she will push your daughter's wheel chair for next 40 years if anything goes wrong.

Back