All-Star Cheer Safety And A Recent Fatal Accident At Cheerleading

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Are there any penalties for schools that allow athletes to perform stunts, etc., that are against the rules?

I truly wish there were. According to our AD and the coach, we have no rules. We live in PA and they say that PIAA doesn't sanction cheerleading as a sport, so therefore, school rules apply. Trust me, I voice my concerns every single year and they fall on deaf ears. I even gave them copies of the rule book (can't remember right now the acronym) and they still said it didn't apply. So, I guess common sense doesn't apply either. As I stated, I do NOT allow my daughter to do any kind of basket in school. If there were some way for there to be recourse against them, I wish I could turn them in anonymously. Not being cowardly, but I don't want it to reflect on my daughter.

Are there any penalties for schools that allow athletes to perform stunts, etc., that are against the rules?

There are no official governing agencies. What is illegal in one book is legal in another. Some areas follow NFHS, some follow Varsity... No one has their act together. Officially the NFHS rulebook is a recommendation, there is no way to punish because officially no one is in charge unless it is a varsity sport.

MomOf2ThatsMe said:

No, unless a judge gives them a deduction.

CoachDerek said:
There are no official governing agencies. What is illegal in one book is legal in another. Some areas follow NFHS, some follow Varsity... No one has their act together. Officially the NFHS rulebook is a recommendation, there is no way to punish because officially no one is in charge unless it is a varsity sport.

You have provided great insight here. I have been posting these same statements for close to 2 years. The safety information is out there, but leadership in the industry doesn't want it standardized like a true sport.

Unfortunately we have 1 more death of a talented 19 yr old to show for it.

You have provided great insight here. I have been posting these same statements for close to 2 years. The safety information is out there, but leadership in the industry doesn't want it standardized like a true sport.

It is truly sad... I hope that some good can come out of the tragedies. Deaths and hospitalizations led to reform in football as well. I hope and pray reform can come without schools just summarily canceling programs. See all of the positives that come from giving these young ladies an outlet and passion to pursue.

Unbelievable. As time goes on from posting and reading these forums it never ceases to amaze me what people are and are not willing to do in this industry. I feel like the almighty dollar speaks louder than anything :mad:

The most heart-breaking part of this total lack of safety organisation or standardisation is that this is overwhelmingly a sport of underage participation. These kids trust those in authority to look after them, yet not much progress is being made to earn and maintain that trust, but we ask it of them anyway.

No penalties sad to say only injuries that lead to lawsuits. However we are winning lawsuits left and right so that should help push for better safety and future regulation to require training and to follow progressions.

Great news, NCSF is publishing a safety standard for all of cheerleading. I look forward to reading it and hope that the sport will use to improve athlete safety. http://cheermad.com/breaking-news/

Thanks to @cheersafety for putting this together. With a comprehensive standard that is out for all to read, the industry will have a difficult time ignoring the common sense practices that would keep the athletes safer.

This is so sad. We need change thats for sure! A standard that all must follow is a good start. My cp and I have been sheltered by all-star for many years and as I stated in another thread the things I have seen since my daughter has started football cheer make my skin crawl. It's a complete free-for-all. I usually watch these other teams perform(not my daughters) with one eye open, while praying....

Therein lies the problem in our school district. I gave the coach a copy of the NFHS because our school falls under their umbrella, but since cheerleading is not a "sport", there are no repercussions for violating the rules. They stick their heads in the sand and assume that no one will get hurt. It saddens and angers me.

Back