All-Star Cheer Update And Cheer Issues

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 27, 2014
Hi! So at first my mom was so proud that I choose cheer but then she got very sick and had to stop working so I had to quit my high school cheer team and all star team. I didn't want to tell them why I quit because my mom hasn't told anyone why she was sick so I told them my marching band director was failing me for missing band camp and practices. So now she is out of the hospital, not working and currently on dialysis. She also has a tumor in her cheek and has to have a kidney transplant. Since she isn't working the only income we have is from my grandma. Now I can do Allstar but can't pay for. I can probably pay for the monthly tuition but getting to the competitions is another problem. There are 2 gyms in closest to me, Rockstar and Carolina Allstars. So my problem is trying to do Allstar with one income and my mom has applied for disability but haven't got approved letter for it even though we know she is approved. So what should I do, wait another year or still try and do Allstar?

As much as you may not like it, financially your family isn't in the best place to put you back into All Star cheerleading therefore, you need to wait until they are. Or, come to terms with the fact that they may never be able to afford it again. If it's something you're truly passionate about, take this time to find work of some sort---whether it's becoming employeed or doing babysitting/odd jobs...etc, etc and start saving for next season.

Another option that you may want to consider is half-season All Star cheer because the cost is typically significant less as if the commitment, but it'll get you back into a gym and competitions. However, I still think you need to take the time to form a plan on how YOU are going to put yourself back into cheer.

Good luck.

As much as you may not like it, financially your family isn't in the best place to put you back into All Star cheerleading therefore, you need to wait until they are. Or, come to terms with the fact that they may never be able to afford it again. If it's something you're truly passionate about, take this time to find work of some sort---whether it's becoming employeed or doing babysitting/odd jobs...etc, etc and start saving for next season.

Another option that you may want to consider is half-season All Star cheer because the cost is typically significant less as if the commitment, but it'll get you back into a gym and competitions. However, I still think you need to take the time to form a plan on how YOU are going to put yourself back into cheer.

Good luck.
Thanks so much. There are two half year teams at Carolina Allstars but I don't have the tumbling requirements.

You could spend a year working on tumbling and stunting. Some gyms offer scholarships/reduced fees for athletes with outstanding level 5 skills. I'm not sure how quickly you pick up tumbling, but you could progress quite a bit if you put in the work. Tumbling classes will also be less expensive than cheer; it's possible that you could pay for them on your own if you get a part-time job. Good luck to you and I hope your mom gets better. :)

You could spend a year working on tumbling and stunting. Some gyms offer scholarships/reduced fees for athletes with outstanding level 5 skills. I'm not sure how quickly you pick up tumbling, but you could progress quite a bit if you put in the work. Tumbling classes will also be less expensive than cheer; it's possible that you could pay for them on your own if you get a part-time job. Good luck to you and I hope your mom gets better. :)
That's another thing that I thought about doing rockstar for. My stunting is very good. Once I learn how to partner stunt I'm golden

How expensive is your high school team? If costs are not too high, given what's going on health wise and financially with your mom, I'd look into getting back on that for next season and taking a tumbling class in the meantime. It's not just the allstar tuition costs you need to take into consideration but comp fees and travel/hotel fees as well as how you will get to and from the competitions.

How expensive is your high school team? If costs are not too high, given what's going on health wise and financially with your mom, I'd look into getting back on that for next season and taking a tumbling class in the meantime. It's not just the allstar tuition costs you need to take into consideration but comp fees and travel/hotel fees as well as how you will get to and from the competitions.
Me and my mom talked about that as well. The monthly fees are $205(tuition, tumbling & team practices) and the additional fees are $700. I know I can get $205 each month I probably can't pay it when it's due but at least I know I can pay for it. And with my part-time job I can pay for the additional fees increments. Now getting to competitions is the only major problem we see. Most are close to South Carolina. We have family members in most the county's where we compete. So we can probably ask them can we stay the night with them which benefits us because we hardly get to see them. My mom probably wont go to the competitions because she isn't into large crowds of people so she will spend time with the family member. My mom hasn't told me if I can go back to high school cheer because I'm in marching band but if I quit marching band I can have more work days.

Have you talked to the gym owners or coaches?
I like CheerBank's idea of tumbling now to get ready for school cheer. It may be the lower stress option that your family needs right now.

Have you talked to the gym owners or coaches?
I like CheerBank's idea of tumbling now to get ready for school cheer. It may be the lower stress option that your family needs right now.
See I would but my mom don't like my high school cheer program because I got a lot of backlash for quitting. So, I'm waiting for her to tell me if I can. I volunteered to wait another year and do high school with tumbling classes but she says that she wants me to do Allstar because she can tell I really want to.

Me and my mom talked about that as well. The monthly fees are $205(tuition, tumbling & team practices) and the additional fees are $700. I know I can get $205 each month I probably can't pay it when it's due but at least I know I can pay for it. And with my part-time job I can pay for the additional fees increments. Now getting to competitions is the only major problem we see. Most are close to South Carolina. We have family members in most the county's where we compete. So we can probably ask them can we stay the night with them which benefits us because we hardly get to see them. My mom probably wont go to the competitions because she isn't into large crowds of people so she will spend time with the family member. My mom hasn't told me if I can go back to high school cheer because I'm in marching band but if I quit marching band I can have more work days.
I would suggest that you are upfront with the owners from the start about your financial issues and maybe come up with a payment plan and back-up options maybe to work things off at the gym should you find yourself falling behind. I would also discuss transportation to/from comps and where you would stay - being a teen male may severely limit your options for sharing a hotel room.

See I would but my mom don't like my high school cheer program because I got a lot of backlash for quitting. So, I'm waiting for her to tell me if I can. I volunteered to wait another year and do high school with tumbling classes but she says that she wants me to do Allstar because she can tell I really want to.
You may have gotten the backlash because of the way you quit (saying it was for marching band rather than being truthful about your mom's illness). If you decided to give school cheer another try it probably would be best to talk to the coach about why you really left.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck with it!

If you can't pay for it on time than that is no different from not being able to pay for it.

You may have gotten the backlash because of the way you quit (saying it was for marching band rather than being truthful about your mom's illness). If you decided to give school cheer another try it probably would be best to talk to the coach about why you really left.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck with it!

This. Lying about why you quit was honestly your first mistake; regardless of whether or not you go back, I would sit down with your coach and explain what happened. Chances are, he/she likely went to the Marching Band director already and was told you were lying and therefore knows it's not the same reasons. High School coaches/teachers talk.

It sounds like you love cheer, but in all honesty, the logistics aren't looking too great. Whether or not you go back to HS, I think you should tell your coach what really happened. @SL&AM is totally right. Coaches and teachers talk and if one of them thinks you are a liar, it could hurt your reputation for joining other sports/activities. You don't want to be that kid who people think they can't trust. I understand your reason for not telling them though, and they might too considering it's a personal matter. Own up to the fact that you lied and ask for forgiveness.

Back to finances/time management though, you have to ask yourself if this is going to be a huge personal strain for you. You don't want to put yourself under pressure that will ultimately be too overwhelming. Be realistic.

Back