All-Star Cheer Vs Grades

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Grades are first!!! Honor roll or else....that being said Ive never had a issue and I would try everything else first before I would pull her off her team!

Education first. It has not been a problem in our house though. I would pull other things first IF it ever were to become an issue and then go from there. HOWEVER, if my child were failing classes consistently (I don't mean a grade drops or for one grading period for one class but MULTIPLE) and getting sent to reaassignment school or suspended........ CHEER IS FOREVER GONE! As would any extra curriculiar activity. I know of a couple of girls my cp has dealt w/ at her gym and on her team in the past that both had been failing classes all year long and one was even suspended from school twice. Neither parent took them out of cheer or any other activities. I must say though with all honesty, that if these 2 had been pulled off of cheer by their parents mid-season I don't believe that any of the remaining team would have been let down or upset in the least. Morale probably would have drastically improved.

I guess, in my home, I have to applaud effort more than anything. I would love to see straight As, but I don't. What I have seen this year is my cp struggle with a subject, go in early for extra help, tutoring, etc. and pull a C in the class. I can't find fault with that. This isn't a black and white, right or wrong issue. I think much depends on the child's effort, which can only be measured subjectively.

Now, if she put as much effort into coping with a teacher/subject she doesn't like as she put into getting her full, she'd be at Stanford, with a full ride, in no time...

lol i hear ya!!! We take all on level courses, no pre ap or advance. My oldest would rather maintain an A then struggle in the advance class's to just make a b. So far so good. Im sure high school will be harder and i'll cross that when it comes. thankfully jr high is a breeze.

I must say though with all honesty, that if these 2 had been pulled off of cheer by their parents mid-season I don't believe that any of the remaining team would have been let down or upset in the least. Morale probably would have drastically improved.
Isn't it funny how a child's behavior is what it is regardless where they are? Obviously, those kids don't care too much about doing well in school or cheer, and they're allowed to get away with it...Pattern, people!!

Isn't it funny how a child's behavior is what it is regardless where they are? Obviously, those kids don't care too much about doing well in school or cheer, and they're allowed to get away with it...Pattern, people!!

and that usually starts with Pattern Parents!!!

YESS the war has ended ;) LOL just playing
But YES grades are soo important. I always see kids doing homework in the gym...im so happy my kids aren't their yet. We still have simple mathematic homework..takes 5 minutes to do. Im sure the gym will be our homework spot within the next few years.

y

yep homework is often done at the gym :)

I've even noticed as gyms are opening in bigger (and better...) buildings a LOT of the ones we've looked at are including whole rooms for just homework. It used to be just sit in with the moms (usually on the floor) and try to get what you can done...and now they're all putting in separate rooms. I like it, especially since my girls don't practice on the same night--but they always have to come with me, so they end up sitting there for a couple hours. Keeps them entertained and keeps grades up.

@Mamarazzi I am going through the same thing. I'm getting to where I'm happy with effort. My older one reeeally struggles with math, so I think I'm happy with a C there. I'm looking for effort right now--she stays after school for help, and the grade is going back up...slowly. So I'm not taking cheer out of the picture--since I don't think it's affecting her grades, I don't see any benefit to taking her out of it.

So I'm not taking cheer out of the picture--since I don't think it's affecting her grades, I don't see any benefit to taking her out of it.
That's how I'm looking at it too. Math is the toughest for her and I don't see how she could do any more than she's doing even if she wasn't cheering. For now, I'm letting the "punishment" fit the "crime" - no facebook, no phone, no sleepovers, no life outside the gym and school.

That's how I'm looking at it too. Math is the toughest for her and I don't see how she could do any more than she's doing even if she wasn't cheering. For now, I'm letting the "punishment" fit the "crime" - no facebook, no phone, no sleepovers, no life outside the gym and school.

perfect...I "preach" that in the real world you basically get a job and small vacation every now and then....their school is their job and they are rewarded with cheer....never are they allowed to cheer, dance, soccer,etc...jack of all trades master at none.....I thinki they thrive when they can focus on a few things well...ie family church school cheer....not twenty things....IMO

another question. where i go to school we have an online system to where me or my parents can check my grades anytime. would you take them off the team if there doing bad in the middle of the year or do you wait til the final report card?

I really think it depends on the reason the child is doing poorly in school whether or not they should be pulled. Is something going on outside of school that is making them do poorly? Is it out of their control? I really think the entire situation would need to be evaluated before any action would be taken.

another question. where i go to school we have an online system to where me or my parents can check my grades anytime. would you take them off the team if there doing bad in the middle of the year or do you wait til the final report card?

Weeelll, that's part of the whole thing. Frankly, I've become a bit obsessed with the online system. Expecting perfection all the time is senseless - sets you up for failure. Heck, my work days aren't always the most productive - for instance, I'm on the fierce board right now @ work... If I see a less-than-satisfactory grade, I tend to flip out quickly and present a consequence immediately without looking at the whole picture, so I limit myself. With some subjects, I check the system weekly. Others, only at interims and final grade times.
I haven't taken her off the team at all this year. I'm a stickler for commitment. WE made the commitment for 11 months at a time. And I've struggled with this issue a lot this year because of not wanting to let anyone on her teams suffer for her grades. What we're looking at now is whether or not she can continue next year. School cheer is already not an option. Now she has to work on all star staying around.

This question brings me back to the time when I had my CP write "Dear coach I regret to inform you I must...... because of my grades....." She cried while writing that letter and begged not to have her turn it in to her coach. I held that letter over her head and she figured out real quick how to manage the demands of school/sport/social.

Grades are first - cheer is secondary. I expect all As but will accept Bs on rare occasion - anything below is NOT acceptable. First is my NO WINDOW NO DOOR policy. Windows being cell phone screens, computer screens and TV screens, doors - no front door exit. If they don't pick their grades up - then sorry but depending on where we are at in the season - cheer or any other sport will go. I understand the whole team thing but if I am at my last straw on doing what I can to get his/her grades up that sport will go - her future depends on those grades and I will/cannot let that much time go by.

About an hour ago I was on our school systems online grades. I just sent them all their need improvement/praise text messages. If I see a negative trend week to week and my warning have been ignored, i would take phones/computers/social life away before the sport. If the trend continues then say "Bye Bye". Luckily my kids know better and turn it around...

Back