OT Cheerleader Turned Yogi?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Nov 3, 2011
I am having an identity crisis
It's really just a major transformational period in my life

I'll try to keep this as short as possible: I cheered competitively in allstars and for my school for 7 years. I just completed my first year of college, where I did not cheer. To say that I felt that there was a hole in my life would be an understatement. I chose my university thinking I would cheer (and didn't apply to others where I couldn't), but after going to multiple open gyms, I was disillusioned from my idea of cheering in college and no longer wanted to be on the sidelines and feel frustrated every practice - It was a love-hate relationship, and I developed a self crippling "mental block" and let this dampen my cheerleading career for the past 4 years.

After realizing that cheerleading was more unhealthy than beneficial for me (which I was not able to fully see as I continued to cheer), I decided to switch paths. I've never felt more liberated and confused. I have set the goal to be a college cheerleader since I was around 6, and I thought cheer would forever be in my life. Now it's gone, and I'm not running back.

After a whole year of self reflection and introspection, I have learned that the fundamentals of cheer have always been in my heart, not necessarily the sport itself (which I still love and support). I love acrobatics, and I've always been enticed by circus performers - another dream I decided not to pursue. Additionally, I am transferring colleges in the fall (where I have heard there is a decent yoga community- App State if that helps anyone), because the school I was at really didn't have much to offer me besides cheer.

For the past few months, I've been learning and practicing yoga. This change has been incredible, and I am following a spiritual path that includes yoga. But, I am still feeling a bit lost or confused (and maybe it's because all that I ever knew and thought changed, and I desire to throw myself into something acrobatic related for the rest of my life). I've tried acro yoga only a few times, but I LOVE it. However, there are not many opportunities for this where I am. I also dearly miss stunting, which was my favorite part of cheer, so I am looking for an outlet that can be similar to this. I take classes at my college's rec center for yoga, but I desire more.

Has anyone transitioned from cheerleading to practicing yoga? Where are you at now? Do you have any advice you can offer me?

A teammate of mine has always liked yoga, so she joined a class at our gym to learn how to be a yoga teacher. She'll be teaching classes starting in fall (as well as being on the cheer team). Maybe teaching yoga could be an option for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stopped cheering when I got to college as well. I started doing exercise classes with a friend last semester and it really filled the void. I did PiYo and Turbo Kick. PiYo was my favorite because it felt soo much like conditioning after a cheer practice. I had a really awesome teacher that I loved, which made it fun too. I'm going to a new gym this week and they have yoga classes and I'm going to try them out! Super excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took a yoga class my last semester and loved it! I'm glad you found something you like to do instead of cheer :) does your school have an organized class (that you get credits or something for) that focuses on yoga? The class I took was very insightful and taught me a lot. The instructor covered a lot of things about it - modifications, what moves you shouldn't do with certain health complications, the flows and the science behind it, etc. maybe you could find something similar?

As far as finding acro yoga places/partners, maybe you could call some local yoga places and ask around? I'm sure the local instructors know many people within the local community and might give you some insight on what the next step is? Maybe you could also "train" under someone there and learn how to lead classes and stuff?

While I'm not familiar enough with yoga to speak to that part of your post, I work quite a bit with athletes transitioning out of their sport, and it can be tough, so know that you're not alone! Figuring out what you love(d) about it and finding ways to fulfill those needs is great! Also, remember that you spent a long time with a certain goal and cheer identity, so it will take time to transition away from that. Continue to focus on where you're at now and what you're enjoying/learning, rather than your past goal. Also remember that goals are adjustable, and sometimes we take large departures from what we originally envisioned. It sounds like you're on a great path!

I was a competitive cheerleader all through high school and then when I graduated did a super senior year and started practicing yoga. My first year without cheer I got really into it and eventually did training to become certified! I went to a new school and was teaching yoga and on a club cheerleading team I think yoga can be extremely beneficial in mental and physcial ways for any type of athelete! I would try to test out a lot of yoga studios in the area, or even look for adult gymnastics classes if you are still wanting to tumble. Let me know if you have any questions.

so the yoga title caught my eye (I've recently started practicing yoga myself) & then I saw that you were transferring to App State :) I might be a little biased but Appalachian State University IS THE BEST!!! I was a student there for five years and I absolutely LOVED IT! Boone is a great town & community. I know there are yoga classes you can take through the university and there is probably some kind of club you could join (or create one) but Im sure there are other options, you might have to do some more research to find classes/places outside of the university. Good luck with your transition! I would also be glad to answer any questions you might have about App!

Have you ever tried Arco gymnastics, it still kind of has "stunts" but is also more yoga like. Just an idea

Thanks everyone for the responses!! I am taking them into consideration... @Meganl arc gymnastics sounds great! But I am not sure if there is anyone around me who practices that..

I have decided to follow a yoga path for now and see where it leads me.. I am taking online classes on yogaglo.com for the summer and will take real classes when I get back in school!

I think the hardest part is transitioning out of something that has been my identity and lifestyle for so long... it's been a year but I still feel lost in some way. I feel that there is a void I need to fill, but I a trying not to be too hard on myself.

THanks again

so the yoga title caught my eye (I've recently started practicing yoga myself) & then I saw that you were transferring to App State :) I might be a little biased but Appalachian State University IS THE BEST!!! I was a student there for five years and I absolutely LOVED IT! Boone is a great town & community. I know there are yoga classes you can take through the university and there is probably some kind of club you could join (or create one) but Im sure there are other options, you might have to do some more research to find classes/places outside of the university. Good luck with your transition! I would also be glad to answer any questions you might have about App!

Ahhh that's awesome! I'm glad you loved App, I'm soo excited to spend the next few years up in Boone. I have found some studios, so I'll have to see what my options are in August. Thanks :)

Back