All-Star Cheerleaders Season 2!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I thought she went to Cali to attend college
She went to the University of Tampa and was said to be on TGLC. She transferred back home after fall semester, I believe. Not sure of her current plans if she's now going to Cali for school.

That isn't true. Our tryout dates had been known for several weeks before the announcement about Angel Rice.

But a Smoed coach announced on twitter at least 2 weeks before tryouts even happened that Angel, Kyle and Gabi had already made Smoed 2014?

3 spots already gone to these kids before other kids have even had the opportunity to try out?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

But a Smoed coach announced on twitter at least 2 weeks before tryouts even happened that Angel, Kyle and Gabi had already made Smoed 2014?

3 spots already gone to these kids before other kids have even had the opportunity to try out?

I seriously doubt they'd cut their point flyer...not that anyone's spot is "safe" so to speak, but come on now.

I seriously doubt they'd cut their point flyer...not that anyone's spot is "safe" so to speak, but come on now.

Oh I 100% know that. All 3 aforementioned athletes would have no doubt made Smoed, it's just the announcing (esp the head coach of the team) it before tryouts have even begun thing that some people are finding a little iffy.

The poster stated the announcement about Angel making the team happened before tryouts were even announced. I replied that that was not the case.

Yes, the announcement was made before tryouts actually happened but not before tryout dates and times were set.

As far as Gabi and Kyle, that doesn't surprise me that it would be known they the team beforehand. Gabi is a sure thing and with all four boys leaving, Kyle would be an obvious choice, to me, having previously been on the team and still age eligible.

Oh I 100% know that. All 3 aforementioned athletes would have no doubt made Smoed, it's just the announcing (esp the head coach of the team) it before tryouts have even begun thing that some people are finding a little iffy.

some people are just going to make the team beforehand and arent going to have much or any, dare i say, competition. we're talking about a very prominent power tumbler (angel), flyer (gabi) and power tumbler that was on smoed since the very beginning for every year except this past year (kyle). and just because someone was given a spot doesnt mean that it is permanent. athletes can be replaced by someone better at tryouts or after tryouts.

these coaches have been around the block for a very long time, and a good coach knows when they see an exceptional athlete that they know very few other athletes can touch. ive seen examples of this in olympian (gymnastics) documentaries. the coach will usually say something like "i knew from an early age that there was something special about her. she wasn't like the others." good coaches can identify exceptional athletes. that's why i dont blame them for giving a spot to an athlete before formal tryouts begin (private tryouts were actually going on as early as march, from what i saw was posted an on out-of-stater's, who made smoed, instagram).

i could just quote myself from a month ago, but instead i will repeat... if they didn't take your personal spot on SMOED, move on and get over it.

do i love that they announced some people on the roster beforehand? no, not really. it could have been kept quiet until the rest of the gym tried out. but really. people from the gym have said how small the gym actually is.. Orby coaches snipers, which would be the pool of kids next in line. he sees them every week and knows their skills, progress, work ethic, etc. the coaches also know who they are losing and what spots are open. is there a chance a stellar kid could walk in the day of tryouts and they not have space left on the team? maybe, but i doubt it.

I'd be interested to see the numbers for out-of-town athletes on TGLC this year... Everyone and their grandma seemed to have made the team and, at least when it comes to the guys, I'd be VERY surprised if even half were actually from Top Gun. Bit of a double standard. I've always thought Top Gun was the biggest "culprit" (for lack of a better word) in regards to out-of-town athletes, but it's Top Gun, so it's not a big deal apparently.
Oh no, it was a big deal for AGES- Smoed is just the new one because it's not just the guys. I always felt like the girls were props on TG until their were guy restrictions. Not that they weren't capable of contributing, but they didn't because TG was flying in guys. My question, however, was never answered. Of those boys who come/came down: how many of them stick with it after the year? How many just drop cheer all together?

Smoed is bringing in girls AND guys, and not just that random dude who doesn't have a strong Worlds contender team in his area. We're in a whole new ball game.

Do you know specifically of kids (not asking for names) who are in our gym who were going to be put on Smoed by the coaches but are not now because of someone from another location coming in?
No but I got the general idea as kids are graduating out, other younger counterparts are looked at to replace the graduating kids. Am I making sense? My brains running on overload so if that isn't super clear what I'm saying, let me know.

College minimesters aren't fun :(

Tryouts are all year long. No in-house athlete is going to come to tryouts with brand new, already consistent skills that the coach hasn't already seen. That's why it doesn't really bother me that they're accepting people prior to tryouts.

Plus, there's only one worlds team at that location. If there were multiple, I feel like the announcements prior to tryouts would be different. Why would Gabi or Kyle not make Smoed? It's a no brainier to put athletes with specialties to double & consistent stunting skills, whom you already trust on your only worlds team.

No but I got the general idea as kids are graduating out, other younger counterparts are looked at to replace the graduating kids. Am I making sense? My brains running on overload so if that isn't super clear what I'm saying, let me know.

College minimesters aren't fun :(

And there are kids within the gym that have moved up to Smoed. :)

Good luck with college!

I can only say that Eddie and Orby are very hands on in the gym. They already know the skills of the CALI athletes at the Ventura gym. They've been coaching them all year. And I'm sure they also get assessments from the tumbling coaches.

The poster stated the announcement about Angel making the team happened before tryouts were even announced. I replied that that was not the case.

Yes, the announcement was made before tryouts actually happened but not before tryout dates and times were set.

As far as Gabi and Kyle, that doesn't surprise me that it would be known they the team beforehand. Gabi is a sure thing and with all four boys leaving, Kyle would be an obvious choice, to me, having previously been on the team and still age eligible.
I think it's safe to say that the coaches are well aware of the top cheer talent within the U.S. It comes as no surprise that they would readily agree to Angel Rice becoming a SMO, even prior to tryouts. Her tumbling is among the best out there. How many can compete against her skills ? I'm sure they had in mind what they were looking for and when they had the opportunity for Angel to join, it was likely a no brainer. Some may feel she received preferential treatment. I don't. I think the coaches just know what they want. There were spots remaining available at tryouts for individuals wishing to try out.

No doubt, it's hard for the CALI athletes to compete against some of the best athletes in the industry. But many do and succeed. The alternative would be to limit tryouts to CALI athletes exclusively and that wouldn't be right. Everyone should be able to share in the opportunity to be a member of SMOED. If the success of SMOED means a deep pool of talent shows up for them to chose amongst, that's simply the nature of the business. It's not about fair or not fair. And there is no fault involved. Likewise if a CALI athlete wanted to leave for greater opportunity elsewhere, there would be no ill will from CALI.

Back