All-Star Cheerleading Worlds 2015 Day 2 (sunday)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

In regards to Intl. vs USA teams at Worlds and who qualifies, I can see both sides. I've been in the position of killing a routine and missing finals at Worlds by a hair (4th our of Canadian teams) and being really frustrated that Intl. teams with half of our score were going on just because they were the only team from their country.

I've also hit beautifully and made finals only to go there knowing were were going to get destroyed by the US teams. It sucks both ways. And Canada is one of the few countries who can hang with the US teams in some divisions (Bangkok is the only other I can think of that can challenge for wins).

But being there is a learning experience. Each time I've gone, my coach has come back with better ideas on how to work the score sheets, what the judges are looking for and what we need to do to get better. And each year we do. Perhaps the Intl. team with 2 BHS as their best tumbling wouldn't be there if they were US, but going to these events shows you what everyone else is doing and begins to motivate you to do better and get these skills.

I've seen young teams who were amazing here go to larger competitions and get the snot kicked out of them. They all cam back wanting to get that higher level of tumbling and stunting so they could be more competitive. And they got those skills fast too. Throw in a lack of Intl. coaches and facilities and it's going to be a slow process, but I notice that every year, FBers are always amazing at the level of Intl. cheer. If they come here with no chance of going on (essentially paying $7000-8000 per person to compete for 2min 30 sec), why bother. I really believe we need this until there is a more level playing field.
In regards to Intl. vs USA teams at Worlds and who qualifies, I can see both sides. I've been in the position of killing a routine and missing finals at Worlds by a hair (4th our of Canadian teams) and being really frustrated that Intl. teams with half of our score were going on just because they were the only team from their country.

I've also hit beautifully and made finals only to go there knowing were were going to get destroyed by the US teams. It sucks both ways. And Canada is one of the few countries who can hang with the US teams in some divisions (Bangkok is the only other I can think of that can challenge for wins).

But being there is a learning experience. Each time I've gone, my coach has come back with better ideas on how to work the score sheets, what the judges are looking for and what we need to do to get better. And each year we do. Perhaps the Intl. team with 2 BHS as their best tumbling wouldn't be there if they were US, but going to these events shows you what everyone else is doing and begins to motivate you to do better and get these skills.

I've seen young teams who were amazing here go to larger competitions and get the snot kicked out of them. They all cam back wanting to get that higher level of tumbling and stunting so they could be more competitive. And they got those skills fast too. Throw in a lack of Intl. coaches and facilities and it's going to be a slow process, but I notice that every year, FBers are always amazing at the level of Intl. cheer. If they come here with no chance of going on (essentially paying $7000-8000 per person to compete for 2min 30 sec), why bother. I really believe we need this until there is a more level playing field.
Exactly. We want to encourage development in international cheer, not discourage teams from even attending. Teams should fly half way around the world and pay thousands of dollars to go out on the floor for 2:30 and that's it? Pretty hefty pill to swallow when most of these teams already know that they will prob not win anything at all or even place . Does it suck for the incredibly talented IOC5 teams that don't make it to finals due to this rule though? Yeah. It's certainly not a perfect system.

Exactly. We want to encourage development in international cheer, not discourage teams from even attending. Teams should fly half way around the world and pay thousands of dollars to go out on the floor for 2:30 and that's it? Pretty hefty pill to swallow when most 9 these teams already know that they will prob not win anything at all or even place . Does it suck for the incredibly talented IOC5 teams that don't make it to finals due to this rule though? Yeah. It's certainly not a perfect system.

I really believe part of the problem is holding Worlds in Florida every year. I do think it's one of the best venues, in terms of the number of athletes, transportation, etc. But it means that probably 95% of athletes are from the US. Moving Worlds around the globe would cut a lot of the US teams who maybe shouldn't be at Worlds (if you're placing mean last in a division of 60-80 teams) who wouldn't want to pay the expense of travelling somewhere for their 2min 30 sec. It would also offer a lot more exposure to the sport around the globe to help improve the level of Intl. cheer. But, I also know that isn't going to happen, probably in my lifetime. :)

Back