All-Star Cheersport 2013 Sportsmanship

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My team placed 3rd in our division... Saturday night and through Monday, I had a group text with people from the 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 8th placing teams in our division. It started as us trying to figure out placements after day 1, and transformed into wishing each other good luck, supporting each other's teams in warmups and when we competed, and congratulating each other during awards. Although I did witness some bad sportsmanship at Cheersport, I know that the majority of the front-runners in my division were awesome sports.

a4uqedeq.jpg
the base is on lites the flyer is point on cells
yzaby9ug.jpg
World Twister CelluLites (the left flyer, middle base and right bases are on cells the rest are on lites ). Starlites are a really sweet group of girls to be around :)

We had an overwhelmingly positive weekend. The Stingray Green and SOT JuCo kids are now calling themselves SpiritRays. Someone got a great picture of them with their arms entwined waiting for awards to be announced and my cp has been chatting with several of them every day since! Other than the annoying people with their iPads, I have nothing bad to say about Cheersport.

my 8yr old was giving people from other teams in their division high fives and telling them they did a great job.

we got emails telling us that our gym prides itself on being good sports and that booing or any other poor sportsmanship would not be tolerated at all.

losing does suck, but there are teachable moments here for the athletes (kids). it is up to the parents to teach their kids how to deal with failure with grace. there is a time to win and a time to lose. there are positives in both. it is how you grow as a person.

on behalf of the parents who behaved like jerks, i want to apologize for their behavior and for them turning what should have been a positive experience into one with negative memories. i am truly sorry that happened.

congrats on your child's team's first place. they should be very proud of their win. and to any parent who is reading this and who participated in that negative behavior, get over yourself. in 10 years, no one will care who got whatever place in any division at this or any competition. but they will care if your child grows up to be a jerk because they learned negative behaviors like this from their parents.

Almost forgot the Fame cheerleader handing out Mardi Gras beads as we entered the awards hall and the team from Hawaii that gave shell necklaces to the kids on the awards stage. So sorry everyone's experience was not as good.

and the team from Hawaii that gave shell necklaces to the kids on the awards stage. So sorry everyone's experience was not as good.
We got them as well and took a picture with them. Such sweet girls! They were from Cheer808.

I forgot to add one thing... On Sunday, I carried my sister through the competition after she got hurt on stage, before we took her to the ER. I wish I knew the names of all the people who asked if she was okay, let her sit down on the nice chairs when waiting for the car, etc. So if you're one of those people or you know who they are.... A huuuuge thank you from me.

ChoreographyInTheBack is she ok?

The only issues I had were mainly the iPads. My favorite was the team with 9 people standing shoulder to shoulder with them. Then, there was a huge sign with the gym name at the front corner of the stage. I was in the seats on the far left facing the stage, so really didn't get to see the team.

My major complaint this weekend was the co-Ed team in level 4 who's family and fans were mainly sitting in the front rows on the left of the stage. Unfortunately they didn't do well. However, they spent the next 3 routines standing up crying and the next few after that walking up and down the isle while teams were performing. People asked them to sit down and one parent turned around and screamed, "they're upset. F*ck you." Then proceeded to give the finger to anyone who caught her eye.

I felt badly for the team initially because I'm sure they worked hard. They started out strong then just fell apart. I wasn't so sympathetic after witnessing their behavior.

But my favorite moment was when 2 teams joined in with cp's team in the awards room and danced and played games. They were having so much fun.

a4uqedeq.jpg
the base is on lites the flyer is point on cells
yzaby9ug.jpg
World Twister CelluLites (the left flyer, middle base and right bases are on cells the rest are on lites ). Starlites are a really sweet group of girls to be around :)
LOVE this. The center base is one of our closest friends daughter!!! This is what cheer is all about. Can't wait to see them at NCA

Back