All-Star Choreography Spots

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

T

thebowqueen

If you (or cp) have had choreography already this year - if not, last year?

Are you usually in the front? Middle, Back for jumps, opening, cheer, dance, stunt?

Are you happy with your placements?

Do you think coaches played favorites with spots?

I ask because our routines usually keep a flow where the same few people wind up being front and center. The best standing tumbling pass keeps the point for the opening going into that pass and moves into the point or front stunt and then gets to be one of the last running passes going into jumps/cheer etc. We try to spread it out but there are always a few kids that are in the back for most of the routine.

Some parents get upset at this when its obvious thier susie belongs in the back. Thoughts?

I don't think any parent is happy when their Suzie is in the back for the whole routine. If a photographer can take 400 photos in 2.5 minutes and Suzie only appears in 1 or 2 (or none!!I I think they might have a right to be upset. They pay the same as everyone else on the team. I've seen kids who love the sport be pulled after choreography because they are in the back for the whole routine and their parents don't want them to nugget. I've seen kids whose family doesn't bother to come watch them since they can't see them at all...

last year I was in the front for most of the routine it is pretty much how @thebowqueen explained it there are always a few kids that are in the back for most of the routine as well in the front.

I think every person on the team, must have at least one great skill. Otherwise, why aren't the coaches working with them more? And in that case, I think they should be rotated towards the front: possibly 2nd row or on the outside edge of a formation. I am not saying point dancer, but in a more visible position.

I don't think any parent is happy when their Suzie is in the back for the whole routine. If a photographer can take 400 photos in 2.5 minutes and Suzie only appears in 1 or 2 (or none!!I I think they might have a right to be upset. They pay the same as everyone else on the team. I've seen kids who love the sport be pulled after choreography because they are in the back for the whole routine and their parents don't want them to nugget. I've seen kids whose family doesn't bother to come watch them since they can't see them at all...
AGREED

Im on two teams...sr 5 and sr 2....for sr 2 im in the front for everything becuase i can do the tumbling...for sr 5 im in the back for jumps becuase i cant jump to tuck, but for the dance i share center in some spots and am in the front for the rest....id say all our routines are done fairly...every memeber on the team has a strength along with a weakness....so at some point EVERYONE gets the front.

Um. Im in the back. For everything. For the fourth year in a row.

I was also always in the back. For everything. Until my high school competed with 12 and I was in the second row. Woo hoo.

I always had the skill I think but the way our routines were organzied it just wound up with me being in the back. Never really bothered me I was really comfortable back there and I think it helped me perform better. I was always an uncoordinated dancer so I tell the kids in the back to be the best back row dancer they can by hitting all the motions sharp on count lol.

Just because you're in the back in August doesn't mean it's your permanent spot forever. One season I was in the verry back row for dance (we learned it pretty late too) and by less than halfway through comp season I was right off of point.

Coaches do have favorites that they will put in the front. But that happens! They wont Put them their if they dont deserve it or it will lower the score. Im normally back rows for jumps and i accept that! Thats my weak point. I think everyone should be seen though during the routine. I love when coaches put different people in the front for the opening or dance. Alot of parents freak out cause their kid is in the back but sometimes thats just how it needs to be for a transition to work! It may not be something the cheerleader wants, but in the end it will benefit the team!!

I'm in the middle kind of towards the front for most the routine! I'm in the back for the beginning of the dance, but then I end in the front :)

I was actually really exited about my spots for choreography! Last year was my first year on this team so I was kinda shy at first and because of that I was put in the back for most of the dance because my coaches assumed I wasn't too good at dancing. Not to be a Susie or anything, but I'm a pretty good dancer and once I get on the floor, I'm not shy at all! My coaches really noticed that last year, and this year I'm point dancer :)

I was point dancer for almost every routine at my old gym. Our coach definitely played favorites and always put me front and center for dance. I ended up having to quit and it's so weird being on the edge of the second row for my high school team now. I miss being able to make up a new part for myself in the dance for every comp :(

We have a great choreographer this year and he is coming up with some great ideas on how to keep the kids like me with little to no tumbling from being in the back and nuggeting the whole time. I don't have any tumbling, but since my gym only has one senior team (senior 4) I am still on. I actually am in the middle for opening, middle for cheer/motions, back for jumps and tumbling (but I completely understand that) and I am usually relatively close to the front for dance. Our choreographer is making sure everyone gets some of the spotlight. He even put one of our "star athletes" in the back for some things. We switch our flyers for different stunts so everyone gets to showcase what they can do. Everyone is visible throughout the entire routine & everyone gets to participate! And the routine still looks great! That's why I'm loving choreographers like this who know that everyone deserves the spotlight and that you shouldn't play favorites. Yay!

we don't have our choreo yet for this year so for last year i was in the back that tumbled to the front for the opening, front for jumps, front for cheer, middle for dance, & our stunt formation was in a line but i've been almost everywhere since when someone was missing & they needed someone i would switch to that group but the majority of the time i was on the left side (facing the mat).

yes i am happy with my placements i work really hard so i can get them. i don't think there are "favorites" there are a good amount of people who have around the same areas for the whole routine but they always deserve to be there (it's not like someone in the middle for jumps will have better jumps then point) & if someone who typically isn't in the front for 1 thing doesn't mean they won't be for another they try to switch it up & i like that.

Back