All-Star Classy Vs Unclassy

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

MzLyn23

Cheer Parent
Sep 16, 2014
I felt like writing this for a few reasons.... 1) to see what other opinions are regarding gyms vs gyms etc, 2) to see if views are similar or different regarding what is "classy" behavior and what isn't...

So recently I was speaking to someone about gyms in my area and so forth and the topic of class came up. This person had overheard another conversation where a person stated: the difference between gym A and gym B is that B is classier.

So of course this got me thinking... In the cheer world, honestly what does one consider to be class or classy behavior? The way an entire gym presents itself at an event including fans/parents/etc? The way coaches behave during event/warm up/performance/and after? The way athletes behave on and off the mat... Including social media??

If this is the case, then I would think the line is very thin and comparing one gym to the next would be extremely biased or one sided, especially if you're not immersed in the cheer world completely.

Here's what I consider classy:

Gyms compete but during and after comps athletes coaches and fans/parents are enthusiastic not just about their own teams/themselves as athletes but enthusiastic about the opportunity being presented; of attending some of the most prestigious competitions in the country. I know the idea of poor sportsmanship comes to mind but to me poor sportsmanship is a different topic completely. At local or smaller comps I see the same enthusiasm from an entire gym. Locals are not just "small comps" but also an opportunity for gyms to showcase talent to the local area, to share the competition experience with friends and family who can't attend the bigger prestigious ones for many reasons. Cheering for winners from other teams and showing respect for all teams by waiting until the end, until the final award is given.

This is classy, treating every comp the same... Athletes Behaving appropriately with your competitors... Where coaches respect each other during all parts of a competition and even off the mat.

So now comes the thought well what's not classy.... If I went into detail I might be cast off so Unclassy behavior can be left to someone's own interpretation.
However social media is an enemy when it comes to class because posts, tweets, and the like can be misconstrued and can or will offend many in the cheer world. I'm not innocent of this but I am very careful or at least try to be careful with wording so as not to offend others.

I just feel that for Susie's mom/sister/aunt (whatever) to say that gym b is classier than gym a, and Susie attends gym c just shows that the eyes see what they want to see.

With this I've taught the following to my CP:
1- never be rude to anyone including those from other gyms (former gyms included)
2- never post anything belittling condescending or insulting on social media (cheer or non cheer related)
3- always be polite to everyone because just like it's said be careful what you say cause anyone can be listening, be careful how you behave because you wear a uniform and it can and will come back to you.
4- never speak ill of your coaches even if your mad because they made the team condition more or run more or whatever. (You are just upset and you will get over it)
5- always be a role model to those younger than you and have a mutual respect with other teammates and teams.

I think I'm ok for now telling her these things and there's probably a few I've left out. As of now she has displayed this exact behavior which I do see from many athletes at her gym and other gyms. If this isn't classy behavior then the cheer world in my mind is doomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Class is relative.

However, I look at OWNERSHIP and STAFF actions when determining class moreso than kids, because kids are kids.

For example, if coaches are dropping F bombs and just ripping kids apart after performances, that is not classy.

If coaches and owners act as if they own a venue and are rude to event staff when asked not to do something, that is not classy.

If coaches and owners behave like teenagers on social media re: results/placements, that is not class.

Things I've seen at comps that come off as unclassy:

1. Parents and kids all decked out in clothing plastered w/ the gym name standing up in the seats having full conversations, blocking everyone else's view becuase, as you know, if it's not a team from their gym or a serious rival from another big gym performing, no one else cares to watch them. I was at a big comp last year where every time a parent or kid was standing up and blocking views it they had on this teams apparel.

2. Crowding the entry to the parent viewing area so much that parents from other teams can't even get in to watch their kid w/o fighting through the crowd. Then not caring at all when you realize that the order was off and all these other parents need to get in to see their kid - you aren't budging cause you have a good spot for the team that's on after this small irrelevant gym that nobody cares about.

3. Singing along as a team very loudly to somewhat sexually explicit lyrics (exageratting the noises if that makes sense) in a pop song that happens to be on the radio of the competition's parking shuttle in spite of there being some much younger kids from other gyms on the bus (just cause you are taking up 3/4 of the bus w/ your 14+ year old team doesn't mean that you should act like there aren't kids around).

4. Running around the comp so wildly that you knock over a big section of those velvet rope type of barrier things (that seperate things off), actually hitting some people w/ the rope as it falls and just laughing and cackling and leaving it down on the floor as you and your friends run off to whatever more important place you need to be - heck, someone else can pick it up cause you don't have time for that.

Being the same gym doing all 4 of these things! What makes it even worse is when another large gym from your same geographic area is also at this comp and doesn't act this way AT ALL...

Class is relative.

However, I look at OWNERSHIP and STAFF actions when determining class moreso than kids, because kids are kids.

For example, if coaches are dropping F bombs and just ripping kids apart after performances, that is not classy.

If coaches and owners act as if they own a venue and are rude to event staff when asked not to do something, that is not classy.

If coaches and owners behave like teenagers on social media re: results/placements, that is not class.

I agree with this a lot.

To add, I think choreography also plays a role in what I find to be a classy versus unclassy program. If your kids are twerking, being overtly sexual...etc, especially at younger levels, I'm gonna find that to be classless.

Yes, yes and yes to coaches/staff/owners being the #1 determining factor in "class."

While I fully believe that coaches should encourage their kids to polite and have good sportsmanship, they can only control them so much. Coaches and owners need to set the example.

I think we all know that parents can get out of hand. That says more to their own class and less to the gym's.

@MzLyn23 , I must say and admit, I judge classy by everything in this order- Owners, Coaches and Parents. I believe if these 3 entities behave accordingly, the athletes tend to act with class. Since my daughter is no longer performing, I will rehash some heartwarming moments that speak volumes on these 2 gyms' class.

My daughter's 1st year doing AS cheer(5years ago) and we were at CJA. The gym was performing at Spirit Fest and Team Gunz had finished performing and we were all getting ready to leave the VIP section, but this small gym from Va came on the stage with no supporters in the VIP area, at that time, everyone from CJA turned around and started cheering, so hard for this squad. I could never forget the huge smiles those athletes had on their faces while they were performing... Now, that was a classy move...

2nd heartwarming moment, occurred last year in RI, the WC family really showed support for teams from Canada. Many of the Canada teams came without a of lot supporters for their VIP area, so WC Parents and athletes cheered so hard for these teams. Touch`e CJA and WC, both CLASSY organizations!

Last edited:
I agree with this a lot.

To add, I think choreography also plays a role in what I find to be a classy versus unclassy program. If your kids are twerking, being overtly sexual...etc, especially at younger levels, I'm gonna find that to be classless.
A to the MEN.

Things I've seen at comps that come off as unclassy:

1. Parents and kids all decked out in clothing plastered w/ the gym name standing up in the seats having full conversations, blocking everyone else's view becuase, as you know, if it's not a team from their gym or a serious rival from another big gym performing, no one else cares to watch them. I was at a big comp last year where every time a parent or kid was standing up and blocking views it they had on this teams apparel.

2. Crowding the entry to the parent viewing area so much that parents from other teams can't even get in to watch their kid w/o fighting through the crowd. Then not caring at all when you realize that the order was off and all these other parents need to get in to see their kid - you aren't budging cause you have a good spot for the team that's on after this small irrelevant gym that nobody cares about.

3. Singing along as a team very loudly to somewhat sexually explicit lyrics (exageratting the noises if that makes sense) in a pop song that happens to be on the radio of the competition's parking shuttle in spite of there being some much younger kids from other gyms on the bus (just cause you are taking up 3/4 of the bus w/ your 14+ year old team doesn't mean that you should act like there aren't kids around).

4. Running around the comp so wildly that you knock over a big section of those velvet rope type of barrier things (that seperate things off), actually hitting some people w/ the rope as it falls and just laughing and cackling and leaving it down on the floor as you and your friends run off to whatever more important place you need to be - heck, someone else can pick it up cause you don't have time for that.

Being the same gym doing all 4 of these things! What makes it even worse is when another large gym from your same geographic area is also at this comp and doesn't act this way AT ALL...
#3.... Good Lord.

@MzLyn23 , I must say and admit, I judge classy by everything in this order- Owners, Coaches and Parents. I believe if these 3 entities behave accordingly, the athletes tend to act with class. Since my daughter is no longer performing, I will rehash some heartwarming moments that speak volumes on these 2 gyms' class.

My daughter's 1st year doing AS cheer(5years ago) and we were at CJA. The gym was performing at Spirit Fest and Team Gunz had finished performing and we were all getting ready to leave the VIP section, but this small gym from Va came on the stage with no supporters in the VIP area, at that time, everyone from CJA turned around and started cheering, so hard for this squad. I could never forget the huge smiles those athletes had on their faces while they were performing... Now, that was a classy move...

2nd heartwarming moment, occurred last year in RI, the WC family really showed support for teams from Canada. Many of the Canada teams came without a lot supporters for their VIP area, so WC Parents and athletes cheered so hard for these teams. Touch`e CJA and WC, both CLASSY organizations!
That was our gym from Canada. They still talk about that moment to this day and it meant so much to the girls and the families. So heartwarming!!!!!! It's not a comp we'd ever been to before (I believe we only sent our Y5), and it was a last minute decision so we just had the parents from the team for a fan zone. Definitely classy. WTG WC!

We teach our athletes by leading by example.

As the Program Director, I have meetings with all teams and parents about expected behavior at competitions.

Our teams will stand up and clap for division winners at every competition to show respect for those teams.

Our athletes are taught to let all teams celebrate their placement. If they are lucky enough to win, you let the second place team and their fans celebrate their moment and wait until your name is called. This goes for our parents too.

We lead by example by being friendly with all coaches and programs. Saying good luck, cheering on other teams, clapping for them during their warm ups, etc.

We also nip it in the butt fast if a parent or athlete slips up. I have a personal sit down meeting to discuss any behavior out of line with our values.

It takes a village.

We lead by example by being friendly with all coaches and programs. Saying good luck, cheering on other teams, clapping for them during their warm ups, etc.

Oh man this!!! I must appear like a crazy person sometimes lol. So 1st time at NCA and yes I fully support my CPs gym but I am a cheer fan period. I love love and respect the sport. So getting to see so many AMAZING team was just everything to me (the grown adult who transformed briefly into a 15 yr old) and my CP lol. So when I would see teams walking to arenas or warm ups etc with their coaches and even if I was rushing by to another hall or where ever I would always try to say good luck!! But awesome and classy example is this... Me rushing to arena because I need to see TGLC live. Rush in with hubby and son looking for seats When I hear top gun over the speakers and notice a tg mom and 2 lady jags. I asked the mom is this tglc cause I wasn't sure and she said yes (i then did my best Wayne's world impression - not worthy bow and said omg so much love for your gym and turned to the lady jag who was smiling and I said u guys are fabulous!)
Of course thank you's followed etc
Then I frantically look for seats, can't find any, mom scoots over and offers me space cause she saw I wanted to record them - that right there - class respect and just awesome.
I did end up moving back cause I think I said something to the effect of me screaming too much. When it was done she asked was it worth the wait? My response: oh u have no idea!!! Lol honestly just a great display of sportsmanship between parents and classy behavior. No pushing or shoving.

There are two things I do not like to see or hear from other gyms at competitions- cursing at children of any age and making fun of special needs athletes! Those two things really grind my gears and shows me that you have absolutely NO CLASS. Unfortunately at one of my niece's competitions I heard some unkind things being said by a team sitting behind us because the event had 8 teams in the special athletes division. I reminded a coach that special athletes work just as hard as your team if not harder to do what they love and they deserve to be shown respect.

i havent attended a competition in a few years but i find coaches to have more bad behavior issues then actual athletes, especially now with social media. I mean some coaches, assistant coaches just have no filter, ive seen it from a few programs now.

There are two things I do not like to see or hear from other gyms at competitions- cursing at children of any age and making fun of special needs athletes! Those two things really grind my gears and shows me that you have absolutely NO CLASS. Unfortunately at one of my niece's competitions I heard some unkind things being said by a team sitting behind us because the event had 8 teams in the special athletes division. I reminded a coach that special athletes work just as hard as your team if not harder to do what they love and they deserve to be shown respect.

I have been very lucky to have never seen this up close and personal because God himself would not be able to protect whoever was on the receiving end of my wrath if I saw it.

Latest posts

Back