College Club Cheer Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't think there will be the "anyone can join" issue because all of the club sports at my school (Miami of Oh) make cuts. Like literally everything - hockey, soccer, track, swimming...it seems that it's not just a way for high school athletes to continue their sport for fun anymore, but more of a way for those who are good but not good enough for Varsity. They are all really competitive too and have won national titles.

I went through this last year at ECU. It's a lot of work but definitely worth it ! As far as starting up the club you need to contact the university about how to do so for your school. Every university has different rules . It will help a lot if you can show evidence of a strong need/interest from students for a club cheerleading squad. Also having a coach already lined up and possible practice space will help as well. If your able to get the club started my advice is to IMMEDIATELY start fundraising. New clubs receive little to no money their first year. ECU club cheerleading attended the NCA college Nationals in Daytona their first year and believe me it was incredibly hard to fund. Good luck with everything though! It's a lot of fun and starting an organization like this is one of the best experiences I ever had!

Bumping this. I'm looking into the possibility of starting a club at my school and if anyone has any information they could share, it would be much appreciated. In particular, information on how coaching and practice facilities/equipment are handled would be really helpful.

Bumping this. I'm looking into the possibility of starting a club at my school and if anyone has any information they could share, it would be much appreciated. In particular, information on how coaching and practice facilities/equipment are handled would be really helpful.
That's a school by school answer. I'd reach out to your student body organization (whoever controls the clubs) and also your athletic department.

That's a school by school answer. I'd reach out to your student body organization (whoever controls the clubs) and also your athletic department.
I've done a bit of research on the administrative side that comes from my school already. I'm talking in terms of how people go about finding a coach, how often them come in, if people find it works better to buy your own mats or go work out at a gym, etc.

I am an assistant coach for a small University cheerleading squad. We are a club sport. (I am a parent on the boards but also a cheer coach.)

1. I suggest, contacting people around you that are connected to the cheerleading industry and see if anyone is available to coach a team at your University. If you do pitch the club to the university I suggest you come in with a plan and if possible have a potential coach already in mind. Network to find a good coach. Make sure they will be committed to the program and they will be able to handle all the responsibilities. Make sure they are also certified. Another way you could find a coach is by having the University post the open position to the public and see who applies for the job.

2. Remember, this may be a financial commitment for the University. The coach may become apart of the payroll. Uniforms, pom poms and other necessities may need to be purchased to start the club. Be understanding that this may not be in the budget for the current year. However, they could put it in the budget for the following year. Don't loose hope if the University says no in the beginning.

3. Open communication with the University is key. Due to the fact that we are a club sport there are several rules we have to follow. One rule we had last season is that we were NOT allowed to make cuts. This is tough when you are trying to build a competition team. If the University gives you a rule like this and the rule is not working for your club make sure you discuss this with the University. They my bend the rules for you. We discussed with our University that cuts were a necessity and they agreed to allow us to cut at tryouts this upcoming season.

4. As far as fundraising goes...we fund ourselves. Our University this year happened to be very generous and paid for new uniforms and pom poms. However, I know of well established collegiate programs that had to find private funding to purchase their uniforms. Again. this will vary from University to University. I suggest, be prepared to fundraise a lot. Especially if you need mats, equipment and you want to go to camp.

5. Our program is also, just starting out and building it's self. Our funds are tight and we don't have much for equipment. We just have a few blue mats. Therefore, we do outsource our tumbling and go to a local All-star gym. As apart of our package we are allowed to use their space for a period of time to practice. This could be an option for new clubs that are starting out with no where to practice. I don't find it wrong to do it this way. However, I would strive to raise funds so that one day you don't have to outsource anything and you are able to tumble in house. It's always better to practice at your own University as opposed to somewhere else.

6. As I mentioned our club is apart of the Athletics department. Not every cheerleading club will be apart of the AD. Last year was the first time our cheerleaders were considered an "Athletic club" as opposed to just a club around campus. Be prepared to not be considered a part of the "Athletic" program. Even if you plan to compete. However, I would strive to convince the University that you are athletes and you that you would prefer to be apart of the Athletic umbrella.

7. Starting a Club is a lot of work and building a new program is not easy. Be diligent and patient. Years from now the program could be something amazing. It will feel good to know that you were one of the ones that pioneered your school's program. Don't give up. In my opinion even the smallest University benefits from having a cheerleading program, competitive or not.

Good luck and I hope this helps a little.

Back