All-Star Cnn Cea Youtbe Link

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

how was CEA selected as the team to 'follow'? did CNN contact them? or did they (CEA) know someone at CNN? it is a rather random/obsure topic for CNN to cover imo. not being negative, but really who outside the cheer world really cares about cheer? LOL

They followed Orange and for a bit Smoke as well at Rays. In the end I think they offered the easiest and more entertaining to follow story. While we have some girls who stand out for their talent on our teams, there are none with the 'celebrity' of Maddie. And, from a producer standpoint, their story was overall better. The point flyer gets hurt, competes no matter an injury, ends up falling for her signature stunt (which as discussed before didn't make a difference to placements) but overall gave a wonderful portrayal of cheer of the ups and downs. It wasn't overall happy. It wasn't sunshine and rainbows. It was real.

When we watch things on TV about cheerleading most of the time we assume it is for us. Worlds broadcast is for us. It is selling products targeted to the cheer demographic while the show is playing (we don't see Buick Le Sabre commercials during Worlds). So yes, I want the focus of Worlds (or NCA UCA CHEERSPORT if it ever gets on TV) to be more centered on cheerleaders.

But the CNN show was not for us.

I thought the show was put together beautifully, demonstrated what cheer really means to those involved, showed the hard work and dedication so many of us put in to what we do and did an excellent job showing that we don't just "jump up and down yelling". Many impressive skills were highlighted, the athletiscism and precision that cheer requires were emphasized and the difficulties we know were noted, as well. I thought the program was wonderful and Maddie was a fantastic representative of the all-star cheer world as a whole.

The responses from our OWN community, however, have been nothing short of disgusting. The comments thrown around by her "friends", "teammates" and supposed "friendly competitors" who always "wish each other the best" have been absolutely HIDEOUS. I have never ever been so disappointed in our cheer community and hope that there are just as many supporters of the program and what Maddie did as there are haters...but perhaps they are just less vocal.

As for those of you who are offended about the focus of the program, I suppose you are forgetting who made Maddie a star in the first place...

I thought the show was put together beautifully, demonstrated what cheer really means to those involved, showed the hard work and dedication so many of us put in to what we do and did an excellent job showing that we don't just "jump up and down yelling". Many impressive skills were highlighted, the athletiscism and precision that cheer requires were emphasized and the difficulties we know were noted, as well. I thought the program was wonderful and Maddie was a fantastic representative of the all-star cheer world as a whole.

The responses from our OWN community, however, have been nothing short of disgusting. The comments thrown around by her "friends", "teammates" and supposed "friendly competitors" who always "wish each other the best" have been absolutely HIDEOUS. I have never ever been so disappointed in our cheer community and hope that there are just as many supporters of the program and what Maddie did as there are haters...but perhaps they are just less vocal.

As for those of you who are offended about the focus of the program, I suppose you are forgetting who made Maddie a star in the first place...

ahh, touche (about making the star).

And, for the record, I hate wishing other people luck before a comp while your team walks by theirs. It feels very contrived (aka forced) and looks like bad sportsmanship if you don't do it while you walk by someone. When I was competing so many times I was more focussed on myself and what I had to do the world around me disappears. So, in short, not wishing someone good luck before they compete is NOT bad karma or selfish! Save it for the times you really mean it and it will count for more.

After watching that whole segment, I think anyone who simply sees it as "The Maddie Show" needs to open their eyes. Yes, she was the one focused on, but if you couldn't hear the agony in her voice as she tried to keep it together or see in her face the pain and anger she felt with herself, then you only heard and saw what you wanted to see. This was a reality tv piece done by people who know zero about cheer. They probably pick CEA because they are the most well-known and/or talked about team in this sport. Maddie was spotlighted because of the same reason. They represent an ideal that 99% of the people in this sport wish to attain. I honestly felt horrible for Maddie at the end, hearing her speak right after Worlds. I've said it before and I'll say it again-imagine how you would feel if your whole world just saw your biggest mistake. She composed herself better then I think anyone I know could have in that position. I am not a "teal army" follower or whatever. I call them as I see it. I saw a little girl who placed the weight of the world on her shoulders, and we helped. God forbid we realize she is actually human.

I just have one comment to say...there were alot of posts whether on here or on facebook, that I was disappointed in. All of us have complained that 'people' don't take cheerleading seriously and alot of you kids hate the stereotypes that are associated with cheerleaders...well I saw alot of those 'stereotypes' come to life last night...and that is truly sad!!!! A pretty decent report by CNN that gave the outside community a real look but not good enough, still bashers out there. I guess some of you want them to continue reporting on 'Fab 5' types instead of the positive of cheerleading. Go figure :confused:

I thought it was great for a general view. The only thing I didn't like was in the intro when the commentator said, "its called allstar cheerleading. It's as demand and athletic as any sport", but she said it in a way that made it seem like allstar cheerleading was not a sport, but it is still demanding and athletic...maybe I'm too sensitive, but thats how I took it...

I thought it was great for a general view. The only thing I didn't like was in the intro when the commentator said, "its called allstar cheerleading. It's as demand and athletic as any sport", but she said it in a way that made it seem like allstar cheerleading was not a sport, but it is still demanding and athletic...maybe I'm too sensitive, but thats how I took it...
You're too sensitive.

Back