All-Star Cnn Cea Youtbe Link

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I liked the piece, of course there were parts that were iffy towards me, but overall I am glad they did a piece that left out the drama and actually focused on the athletes and their skills.

The things that I didn't care for were that like others have mentioned is that her stunt did not win them the gold in 2010 and they shouldn't have made it out like it did and that maybe they should have combined and did the SSX and the Senior Elite into a bigger single piece. I can see where others on the team and in the gym can get upset by some of the things that were said (the 2010 stunt winning them gold), but the nasty comments I cringe reading. It is sad that they were teammates for years and can turn so nasty with the blink of an eye, but Maddie has to keep her head up and know that she was chosen for a reason and that the nastiness of others shouldn't get her down.

I am not a CEA fan but I cannot deny their talent and what they have done for the cheer industry. They picked the perfect person to get the message across. Maddie came off as very professional and intelligent instead of the stereotypical ditsy cheerleader. I can honestly say that this piece was the best spotlight cheer has gotten in a long time. I was not a fan of Jersey Cheer or the other one about the mini team, but this one was actually done with class. Kudos to CNN and CEA for a great piece we should be proud of.

Know that I am approaching this form an inside angle. I overall liked the special. Thought it was positive and very real. It made it more poignant that it wasn't a winning situation. When you are winning it is very easy to be all smiles and cupcakes and paint a rosy picture. That is a heckuva situation to have to go through and then have it on national television, but it truly showed how hard this all is. So understand from a cheer to the rest of the world view, it was a win.

From a within cheer point of view, it was not. I am trying to figure out why, and wondering if there is something we can do in the future to prevent such a thing.
I see what you are saying...but at the end of the day...because of the nature of the beast....I do not think it is possible to be a total possitive from the "inside" cheer point....the posts proved that....never is it even close to pleasing everyone....and I think the smile and cupcakes thing is a massive misconception of cheer in general....IMO

I see what you are saying...but at the end of the day...because of the nature of the beast....I do not think it is possible to be a total possitive from the "inside" cheer point....the posts proved that....never is it even close to pleasing everyone....and I think the smile and cupcakes thing is a massive misconception of cheer in general....IMO
Much more blood sweat and tears than smiles & cupcakes!

sigh.... and I really do enjoy a good cupcake too.

I will say that I agree with the few people who mentioned not showing any coed teams. It makes me sad because personally I enjoy watching coed teams more so then all girl, but also because coed lately has really been taking a backseat to all girl when it comes to the media and attention. You have STUNT and NCATA (i think i got that right) in the spotlight making all girl cheer a sport, Jersey Cheer was an all girl team, and both CNN segments were all girl teams. I feel that the media is showing the female side, but why not give those amazing coed teams some spotlight? They work just as hard as any other team but get to sit in the backseat while the girls get all the attention. Now I do understand it is about entertainment value and how those outside of cheer are probably more drawn to female cheerleaders, but I know the people outside of cheer (that I know) that have watched competitions on TV are more wowed at the boys throwing up stunts and shocked that most are just high school boys. Maybe the next show or segment can be on a coed team for a change.

Also beware of the TV curse that I think looms around cheerleadings teams that do TV shows, just ask UK and UCF if they would want a camera crew following them around again.

Aaaarrrggghhhh...I SWORE I wouldn't touch this thread with a 10 foot pole, but I just can't help it. I've followed this whole thread (and the first one that was locked) since the special first aired. And I've held my tongue, because I think most people are aware I'm definitely no member of the teal army.

The only thing I want to touch on is this: I find it very interesting that everyone is so adamant in saying that Maddie is just a teenager and people should remember that, but no one has mentioned that SO ARE HER TEAMMATES. No one seems to remember that this is a group of 35 other girls who are also still young, and at this age emotions are hard to keep a reign on.

Basically just a bunch of bitter, outspoken girls who are upset that they did not receive any credit for their involvement on the team.

You say this like it's the most awful thing in the world. Of course they're bitter and upset they didn't receive any credit for their involvement. Do they not practice just as much as she does? Did they not help win Worlds in 2010? Do they not show up with injuries and work through them? So yes, I think TEENAGE GIRLS might be hurt that they were brushed aside like back-up dancers in Maddie's show - "Maddie and her Senior Elites". Is it necessarily Maddie's fault? I have no idea - I don't know the girl, but I'm inclined to think in this case, no, not her fault. I think about 99.9% of the people on here don't know her, so none of us are really qualified to say whether or not she actually feels any particular way.

I would imagine that this is a group of 35 young ladies who've spent YEARS in Maddie's shadow. 35 young ladies who are just as much Senior Elite as she is. So instead of everyone acting so shocked that they reacted this way, and trying to figure out ways to make them not feel something that is perfectly reasonable and logical to feel...why not look into the fact that they've probably felt this way FOREVER...and this was just the straw that broke the camel's back for many of them. I sincerely doubt this is the first time they've had to deal with being made to feel like extras in a movie about Maddie. It has to be frustrating and horrible on a teenager's self esteem to know that no matter how hard you work, and no matter what you do you'll always just be on "Maddie's team". I don't think she has any control over any of this...but I think it's reprehensible for everyone on here to say these girls are horrible for expressing feelings that they've probably had bottled up for awhile now.

Was Twitter the best place for this venting of feelings? Of course not...but that's what teenage girls DO. They blast their feelings all over the internet first, think about the repurcussions second.

Aaaarrrggghhhh...I SWORE I wouldn't touch this thread with a 10 foot pole, but I just can't help it. I've followed this whole thread (and the first one that was locked) since the special first aired. And I've held my tongue, because I think most people are aware I'm definitely no member of the teal army.

The only thing I want to touch on is this: I find it very interesting that everyone is so adamant in saying that Maddie is just a teenager and people should remember that, but no one has mentioned that SO ARE HER TEAMMATES. No one seems to remember that this is a group of 35 other girls who are also still young, and at this age emotions are hard to keep a reign on.

You say this like it's the most awful thing in the world. Of course they're bitter and upset they didn't receive any credit for their involvement. Do they not practice just as much as she does? Did they not help win Worlds in 2010? Do they not show up with injuries and work through them? So yes, I think TEENAGE GIRLS might be hurt that they were brushed aside like back-up dancers in Maddie's show - "Maddie and her Senior Elites". Is it necessarily Maddie's fault? I have no idea - I don't know the girl, but I'm inclined to think in this case, no, not her fault. I think about 99.9% of the people on here don't know her, so none of us are really qualified to say whether or not she actually feels any particular way.

I would imagine that this is a group of 35 young ladies who've spent YEARS in Maddie's shadow. 35 young ladies who are just as much Senior Elite as she is. So instead of everyone acting so shocked that they reacted this way, and trying to figure out ways to make them not feel something that is perfectly reasonable and logical to feel...why not look into the fact that they've probably felt this way FOREVER...and this was just the straw that broke the camel's back for many of them. I sincerely doubt this is the first time they've had to deal with being made to feel like extras in a movie about Maddie. It has to be frustrating and horrible on a teenager's self esteem to know that no matter how hard you work, and no matter what you do you'll always just be on "Maddie's team". I don't think she has any control over any of this...but I think it's reprehensible for everyone on here to say these girls are horrible for expressing feelings that they've probably had bottled up for awhile now.

Was Twitter the best place for this venting of feelings? Of course not...but that's what teenage girls DO. They blast their feelings all over the internet first, think about the repurcussions second.

I agree...but taking it out on HER isn't the answer and learning to be respectful of themselves, their community, their gym and other athletes is a MUST.

I get "the maddie show" aspect...but I can honestly say that....as a mom of a cp who is about to watch her daughter be fortunate enough to have Kiara Nowlin on her team...the team is MORE than fortunate to have such a cheerlebrity....if the choice is Kiara or no Kiara...I choose Kiara....that being said...Kiara makes our situation amazing...she is thee most humble, kind, hard working athlete....another thing is the way the coaches handle it....everyone is important on this team and the way the "media" chooses to portray it...the kids live it and our coaches are amazing at handling it...Maddie in the spotlight was gracious and not at all arrogant...it is never maddie OR kiaras fault they get the spotlight...I tell my CP's....they worked hard and the deserve anything they get!!! IMO

I definitely agree with all of that.. I mean I am a teenage girl. But I can honestly say that I think before I post a status or anything like that on facebook. And I don't have thousands of facebook friends or followers on twitter. I get posting one thing but having full conversations about this via twitter where EVERYONE can read it? Text eachother..

I think they totally have the right to be bitter. But by posting their opinions everywhere they are not only making themselves look bad, but they are a reflection of their parents, coaches, team, gym, and the entire allstar community.

I definitely agree with all of that.. I mean I am a teenage girl. But I can honestly say that I think before I post a status or anything like that on facebook. And I don't have thousands of facebook friends or followers on twitter. I get posting one thing but having full conversations about this via twitter where EVERYONE can read it? Text eachother..

I think they totally have the right to be bitter. But by posting their opinions everywhere they are not only making themselves look bad, but they are a reflection of their parents, coaches, team, gym, and the entire allstar community.
I think we need to relay to them that bitterness only hurts them...if we look around and focus on "envy" we could go mad....better to lift someone up and be thankful for what we have then look around for what's missing....a better lesson to teach our kids.....cuz at the end of the day....we are blessed

you are brillant!!! and it's not a bash on maddie, but i think this is a HUGELY accurate representation of what happened! i only hope that they team mates will work through this very awkward turn of events, BTW i ddn't see the tweets, but i have a teenage girl with friends so i can see this happening very easily, and they will gain some understanding and life lessons from this.

I think we need to relay to them that bitterness only hurts them...if we look around and focus on "envy" we could go mad....better to lift someone up and be thankful for what we have then look around for what's missing....a better lesson to teach our kids.....cuz at the end of the day....we are blessed
BEST POST EVER on the subject :chestbump:

Back