All-Star Cnn Cea Youtbe Link

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This goes along with the argument that no one should jump up and be excited when they announce 2nd place and a team has known they won. We can say it is the fault of the community, but I haven't seen any remorse from the ones in the community who have reacted negatively (this is a generality obviously). So scolding OR self realization that someone over reacted isn't happening. If the same situation were to happen again do you think people would react the same way?
True, true...and just sad at the same time.
It is funny how probably just a few little changes in the commentary would have changed the whole vibe - such as not saying Maddies team or asking her team questions instead of *I* questions. They are such little tiny subtle things.

Having been in cheerleading for a very long time, this special was simply amazing. I have already watched it 5 times and truly love CEA, Courtny, CEA staff and Madi very much. You always hear about a program, but its different actually watching them day in and day out. I actually enjoyed that they picked one girl for the special. It really helped you feel what she was feeling. I don't see how anyone can view the story as negative in any light. It was very well put together and it made all star cheerleading as a whole look awesome. I loved how Madi pushed through pain and made it look like a sport.

True, true...and just sad at the same time.
It is funny how probably just a few little changes in the commentary would have changed the whole vibe - such as not saying Maddies team or asking her team questions instead of *I* questions. They are such little tiny subtle things.

Yes they are. But at the same time shows the pride and passion of our sport. The athletes truly look at it as a group effort and that no one person 'wins' a competition. (this all goes back to an earlier thread I had asked if there was 'Are there individual parts of cheer?". Overwhelmingly everyone seemed to agree that even though an individual can practice tumbling... in no way shape or form can an individual win. All parts require teamwork to win. Maybe to such a point that if one person is perceived (meaning she didn't really but it came off that way) as to thinking they are the team people get rather upset.

I have learned a good bit form all this for coaching. Athletes take a lot of pride in their contribution to a team, more so than I had realized. So much that if one person is looked at carrying the responsibility of the entire team its a bit disheartening to everyone else.

I agree with most of what has been said here.. but I think that what shocked me most were tweets and other posts from people that KNOW Maddie. Girls on her team and other teams in the division. I don't even care if they don't like her or whatever but that is going to cause quite a bit of tension.. The little amount of respect they have for each other is shocking to me.

I wonder whats going to go down at the next practice. Most of the worst tweets/messages were from her own team mates...I wonder how/if they'll deal with it.

Yes they are. But at the same time shows the pride and passion of our sport. The athletes truly look at it as a group effort and that no one person 'wins' a competition. (this all goes back to an earlier thread I had asked if there was 'Are there individual parts of cheer?". Overwhelmingly everyone seemed to agree that even though an individual can practice tumbling... in no way shape or form can an individual win. All parts require teamwork to win. Maybe to such a point that if one person is perceived (meaning she didn't really but it came off that way) as to thinking they are the team people get rather upset.

I have learned a good bit form all this for coaching. Athletes take a lot of pride in their contribution to a team, more so than I had realized. So much that if one person is looked at carrying the responsibility of the entire team its a bit disheartening to everyone else.

I think a lot of it comes to age and maturity as well.
Obviously no cheerleader has the power over CNN to MAKE them say/cover/edit the way they want them to.
I also think this is the part of cheer that irks me on a daily basis - no matter if it is local gyms, far away gyms, athletes on different teams, athletes on the same team -- they all want it to be honored as a real sport - I understand the competition is there but why isn't it healthy competition instead of horrible competition - they are supposed to be a community, a gym, a team and be there and support and back eachother up - NOT cutting eachothers throats. That is something I hope my CP keeps TIGHT hold of no matter what level she ends up.

Anyone who is a long time Simpsons watcher remember the episode where he stole the Venus de Milo gummy? And then had the interview on Rock Bottom? This whole thing reminds me a bit of that.

I wonder whats going to go down at the next practice. Most of the worst tweets/messages were from her own team mates...I wonder how/if they'll deal with it.
I didn't see any tweets/messages I have only heard the gist of it being bad.... I must not be in the "loop".

But, that is horrible

It is extremely important to understand 'why' everyone reacted the way they did so a similar situation does not happen in the future. Saying everyone reacted poorly and should know better will not change how people handle themselves in the future. Knowing the community and how everyone takes news is very important.

A quote I always try to remember when dealing with people and not not expect more out of them than they are: A cobra will bite you whether you call it cobra or Mr. Cobra.
I agree to a point.....TV is a business and they go for the catch....public will "attach" to a single thing more than a "team"....they can "relate".....I think the TV gods needed a sympathetic character to evolve around...grab their audience.....either way...It was far better than anything cheer ever gets on prime time...so I loved it...I also think she did an amazing job and was the best sport considering her worst moment is now out there forever

I think a lot of it comes to age and maturity as well.
Obviously no cheerleader has the power over CNN to MAKE them say/cover/edit the way they want them to.
I also think this is the part of cheer that irks me on a daily basis - no matter if it is local gyms, far away gyms, athletes on different teams, athletes on the same team -- they all want it to be honored as a real sport - I understand the competition is there but why isn't it healthy competition instead of horrible competition - they are supposed to be a community, a gym, a team and be there and support and back eachother up - NOT cutting eachothers throats. That is something I hope my CP keeps TIGHT hold of no matter what level she ends up.

Agreed. As a parent you can only focus on your kid. As a coach you just try to avoid contentious situations.

I didn't see any tweets/messages I have only heard the gist of it being bad.... I must not be in the "loop".

But, that is horrible
Basically just a bunch of bitter, outspoken girls who are upset that they did not receive any credit for their involvement on the team.

I agree to a point.....TV is a business and they go for the catch....public will "attach" to a single thing more than a "team"....they can "relate".....I think the TV gods needed a sympathetic character to evolve around...grab their audience.....either way...It was far better than anything cheer ever gets on prime time...so I loved it...I also think she did an amazing job and was the best sport considering her worst moment is now out there forever

Know that I am approaching this form an inside angle. I overall liked the special. Thought it was positive and very real. It made it more poignant that it wasn't a winning situation. When you are winning it is very easy to be all smiles and cupcakes and paint a rosy picture. That is a heckuva situation to have to go through and then have it on national television, but it truly showed how hard this all is. So understand from a cheer to the rest of the world view, it was a win.

From a within cheer point of view, it was not. I am trying to figure out why, and wondering if there is something we can do in the future to prevent such a thing.

But, that is horrible
Basically just a bunch of bitter, outspoken girls who are upset that they did not receive any credit for their involvement on the team.

yeah. that part of it wasn't the greatest.

From a within cheer point of view, it was not. I am trying to figure out why, and wondering if there is something we can do in the future to prevent such a thing.

Can I say - not knowing you at all - that I think it is awesome that you are trying to figure what happened and fix the situation. I love how outspoken you are and how instead of just complaining about things you actually look for the fix and try to make it happen. All of the cheer world will benefit from that!

Can I say - not knowing you at all - that I think it is awesome that you are trying to figure what happened and fix the situation. I love how outspoken you are and how instead of just complaining about things you actually look for the fix and try to make it happen. All of the cheer world will benefit from that!

hah, well thanks. I am not sure what good it will do, but I do know that lots of people read this board (on the higher up side). So hopefully through us all doing a bit of self realization and discovery we come out of this smarter.

Back