All-Star Coaches Conduct

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Ohh don't even get me started about this. It happened several years ago One particular judge was seen out totally wasted til all hours if the night. Next day in the morning we had the great experience of having to deal with him on a legality issue. Could still smell the alcohol on him and he was in a rotten mood.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
That is awful and totally unprofessional but I am not surprised. I hear there is a shortage of judges. Some won't judge this year because of disputes over payment last year.

What's the opinion on coaches drinking in a hotel bar when the entire gym/team is staying at that hotel. Parents are free to walk up and join but kids walking through the lobby can also see.

I'm going to have to trust that my kid's coaches are adult enough to manage alcohol and their private time. My kid can deal with seeing her coach have a couple of drinks. I mean, she sees me having a drink and can manage. It's good to model responsible use of alcohol.

Eta: if they're having drinks at the hotel, they're showing that they are smart enough to not drive after drinking.

What's the opinion on coaches drinking in a hotel bar when the entire gym/team is staying at that hotel. Parents are free to walk up and join but kids walking through the lobby can also see.
If they're 21 and they're not falling over drunk and starting bar fights I'm not sure why we keep asking the same question. They are adults. Just because their job works with kids, if they're not "on the clock" they should be able to be adults. Period. If it crosses the line to when they are supposed to be actively on the clock that's another matter.

I'm just going to come out and say the next thing (and this isn't directed to you, just a good hopping off point from what I've been reading here)...

Some people (for their own reasons) are very anti-alcohol. I have friends who will never let it touch their lips ever because that's just not what they believe. I have others that won't do so because they're recovering alcoholics. Those are both perfectly fine. I respect those points of view. I just don't share them or have reason to.

Just be sure that you're not trying to put your values and standards off on someone else that may not have the same ones. I get the side eye from my non-drinking friends if I order a drink at dinner. That's not cool. You're allowed your opinions, I'm allowed mine. One martini (which is all I order since they are expensive) does not punch my express pass to hell (trust me I've taken care if that in multiple other avenues). It's completely unfair to me if my friends make me feel that way because they have a different set of values. It doesn't make me somehow beneath them so it's not fair to be treated that way.

If your feelings and beliefs are such that you don't want to be associated with anyone who doesn't share the same point of view, that's perfectly cool. There are plenty of gym options out there where the coaching staff and owners believe the same way. I would suggest aligning yourself with people who believe as you do rather than getting upset with or condescending toward others who may feel differently. Because the bottom line is, if they're off the clock, over 21 and being responsible....they're not doing anything legally wrong. If you believe they're morally wrong...you should find another program that agrees with your point of view. Staying where you may be and condescending to people who aren't breaking any laws is not fair to them...and you'll never be able to change them, or be happy with them in that regard anyway, so you're fighting a losing battle.

Open. Fire.

@12stepCheermom I completely agree with everything you said and I'm glad you put it out there for everyone. I was actually asking for the parents views on that particular situation as a coach that does partake in a drink or two after a competition day is complete. Based on what others were saying earlier, it seemed like most people were suggesting at out of sight, out of mind (not in view of everyone else) and don't let it carry over to day 2, ect.

If they're 21 and they're not falling over drunk and starting bar fights I'm not sure why we keep asking the same question. They are adults. Just because their job works with kids, if they're not "on the clock" they should be able to be adults. Period. If it crosses the line to when they are supposed to be actively on the clock that's another matter.

I'm just going to come out and say the next thing (and this isn't directed to you, just a good hopping off point from what I've been reading here)...

Some people (for their own reasons) are very anti-alcohol. I have friends who will never let it touch their lips ever because that's just not what they believe. I have others that won't do so because they're recovering alcoholics. Those are both perfectly fine. I respect those points of view. I just don't share them or have reason to.

Just be sure that you're not trying to put your values and standards off on someone else that may not have the same ones. I get the side eye from my non-drinking friends if I order a drink at dinner. That's not cool. You're allowed your opinions, I'm allowed mine. One martini (which is all I order since they are expensive) does not punch my express pass to hell (trust me I've taken care if that in multiple other avenues). It's completely unfair to me if my friends make me feel that way because they have a different set of values. It doesn't make me somehow beneath them so it's not fair to be treated that way.

If your feelings and beliefs are such that you don't want to be associated with anyone who doesn't share the same point of view, that's perfectly cool. There are plenty of gym options out there where the coaching staff and owners believe the same way. I would suggest aligning yourself with people who believe as you do rather than getting upset with or condescending toward others who may feel differently. Because the bottom line is, if they're off the clock, over 21 and being responsible....they're not doing anything legally wrong. If you believe they're morally wrong...you should find another program that agrees with your point of view. Staying where you may be and condescending to people who aren't breaking any laws is not fair to them...and you'll never be able to change them, or be happy with them in that regard anyway, so you're fighting a losing battle.

Open. Fire.
No fire here.

@12stepCheermom I completely agree with everything you said and I'm glad you put it out there for everyone. I was actually asking for the parents views on that particular situation as a coach that does partake in a drink or two after a competition day is complete. Based on what others were saying earlier, it seemed like most people were suggesting at out of sight, out of mind (not in view of everyone else) and don't let it carry over to day 2, ect.
I think you're not required to give up the same adult behavior everyone else is allowed to engage in just because you chose to be a coach. It's a double standard and it's BS.

I have a bigger problem with parents that get drunk and forget they have kids with them than coaches who have some drinks when they DONT have kids with them.

What adult coaches do on their own time is their own business.....until they're a no show in warm-ups when a team is waiting for them I say live and let live! Hubby and I have always taken turns having a cocktail or 2 or whatever.....even at out of town competitions where we might be drinking at the hotel and not having to drive anywhere but we started with 3 CP's doing this and we always wanted 1 of us to always be able to take them to the ER if anything ever happened. It's a policy that works for us. No judgement on families who don't do things that way. LOL

I think you're not required to give up the same adult behavior everyone else is allowed to engage in just because you chose to be a coach. It's a double standard and it's BS.

I have a bigger problem with parents that get drunk and forget they have kids with them than coaches who have some drinks when they DONT have kids with them.

Amen!!

Open. Fire.

I have the same "problem" in reverse. Among my group of friends, I'm the one who tends to drink the least alcohol. Sometimes, I just don't want to have an alcoholic beverage, no particular reason. My close friends understand and have always accepted it. We do laugh a bit when everyone orders a glass of wine and I ask for pineapple juice. I don't mind if they drink, and they don't mind if I don't. But some people seem to think that refusing to drink means being uptight, sick, or whatever. Like "What's wrong ?" or "Oh, come on ! Loosen up a bit, we're here to have fun !". I don't judge them for having a drink, so I get frustrated when they judge me for not wanting one. I've had to explain several times that I'm not holding back or resisting temptation to drink. I genuinely don't want to, and I'll have just as much fun as everyone else with my water/juice/soda. People can get very critical when it comes to choosing to drink or not, when they're not any reason to in my opinion.

I have the same "problem" in reverse. Among my group of friends, I'm the one who tends to drink the least alcohol. Sometimes, I just don't want to have an alcoholic beverage, no particular reason. My close friends understand and have always accepted it. We do laugh a bit when everyone orders a glass of wine and I ask for pineapple juice. I don't mind if they drink, and they don't mind if I don't. But some people seem to think that refusing to drink means being uptight, sick, or whatever. Like "What's wrong ?" or "Oh, come on ! Loosen up a bit, we're here to have fun !". I don't judge them for having a drink, so I get frustrated when they judge me for not wanting one. I've had to explain several times that I'm not holding back or resisting temptation to drink. I genuinely don't want to, and I'll have just as much fun as everyone else with my water/juice/soda. People can get very critical when it comes to choosing to drink or not, when they're not any reason to in my opinion.

Isn't it illegal to NOT drink wine in France? ;)

I'm always happy when one in our gang doesn't drink when I'm out with friends. Designated Driver!

Not to get into the all the legal aspects, but there are reasons why schools and scouting organizations have a no drinking policy when dealing with children on overnight outings whether you are responsible for them full time or part time during that outing. What a person does off the clock is their business, however, when a coach is on the gym owner's tab for traveling the water is much more murky. Most large corporations have a reason for requiring their traveling employees to put it on their own tab and get reimbursed. Gym owner's, if you are putting all the rooms and car rentals of your coaches on your business card, you need to do some serious thinking about drinking policies. What happens in those rooms and with those cars can and will come back to bite you and your business in the arse.

Not to get into the all the legal aspects, but there are reasons why schools and scouting organizations have a no drinking policy when dealing with children on overnight outings whether you are responsible for them full time or part time during that outing. What a person does off the clock is their business, however, when a coach is on the gym owner's tab for traveling the water is much more murky. Most large corporations have a reason for requiring their traveling employees to put it on their own tab and get reimbursed. Gym owner's, if you are putting all the rooms and car rentals of your coaches on your business card, you need to do some serious thinking about drinking policies. What happens in those rooms and with those cars can and will come back to bite you and your business in the arse.
Then it would seem to be up to the gym owner to set forth a policy for their own employees.

Back