All-Star Coaches Conduct

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'll say it....I just don't like it. I know they're adults but there's not one other sport/hobby/activity that my kid is involved (and she does quite a lot) that the coaches/advisors drink while on overnight trips, or rather they don't drink while in any type public area. Maybe they go back to their rooms and have a drink, I don't know but not anywhere where my child would see them. I asked her soccer coach one time if there was a rule against it and she said "No, I just don't feel comfortable drinking in front of the kids". That said a lot to me. It just wasn't that important to her.

AND I'm not uptight trying to put my beliefs onto others. I like a glass of wine or a beer here or there just like many do. There's just a time and place for it.

I think we make excuses for some cheer coaches because we need to justify their behavior. You know you've ALL seen it! When going by the hotel bars at cheer comps I see lots of coaches passing shots around, loud "drunk" obnoxious behavior, and even being helped or carried out of the bar. Heck you'd think the Omni bar at Cheersport on Saturday night was a coaches gone wild party. This isn't the random, young, brand new cheer coach that doesn't know better but the "who's who" of cheer coaches drinking all night before they coach in the morning. I don't want my kid seeing that whether the coach is in charge or not at the moment.

I also agree that there's plenty of parents that do this as well but that doesn't mean what the coaches are doing is ok. I think they are all wrong and poor role models. If you pressed me I'd probably say yea sure, a glass of wine or two at dinner isn't an issue but I don't really want to get into how much is enough or too much. I just don't see why it has to be so important when they are there for a job.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Also to add, I think it's interesting how much this has changed. Five years ago on these boards the overwhelming response would have been that coaches shouldn't drink while at comps.

I'll say it....I just don't like it. I know they're adults but there's not one other sport/hobby/activity that my kid is involved (and she does quite a lot) that the coaches/advisors drink while on overnight trips, or rather they don't drink while in any type public area. Maybe they go back to their rooms and have a drink, I don't know but not anywhere where my child would see them. I asked her soccer coach one time if there was a rule against it and she said "No, I just don't feel comfortable drinking in front of the kids". That said a lot to me. It just wasn't that important to her.

AND I'm not uptight trying to put my beliefs onto others. I like a glass of wine or a beer here or there just like many do. There's just a time and place for it.

I think we make excuses for some cheer coaches because we need to justify their behavior. You know you've ALL seen it! When going by the hotel bars at cheer comps I see lots of coaches passing shots around, loud "drunk" obnoxious behavior, and even being helped or carried out of the bar. Heck you'd think the Omni bar at Cheersport on Saturday night was a coaches gone wild party. This isn't the random, young, brand new cheer coach that doesn't know better but the "who's who" of cheer coaches drinking all night before they coach in the morning. I don't want my kid seeing that whether the coach is in charge or not at the moment.

I also agree that there's plenty of parents that do this as well but that doesn't mean what the coaches are doing is ok. I think they are all wrong and poor role models. If you pressed me I'd probably say yea sure, a glass of wine or two at dinner isn't an issue but I don't really want to get into how much is enough or too much. I just don't see why it has to be so important when they are there for a job.

I do see where you're coming from, how you wouldn't want your child to SEE it happening. And I can agree with that. I'd probably feel awkward if 7 year old little suzie saw me taking a shot at a bar.

But...Most people saying that don't see a problem with responsible drinking. I wouldn't consider the wild party going on at cheersport responsible lol.

And I don't think having a few drinks after a competition is "important". But I sure know that having a couple glasses of wine after any long, stressful day at ANY job sure takes the edge off. And if a cheerleading competition isn't a long, stressful day, I don't know what is. :p

And personally, I'm a 24 year old coach who actually has never had a drink at an overnight competition. Not because I'm not allowed or would get side eyed, but because after Day 1, I can barely make it to my pillow without falling asleep as it is without alcohol :D

So your choice would to NOT be at a gym where the coaches drink at competitions and maybe even fraternize with the kids if they are drinking or potentially putting the kids into a less than moral/ethical situation?

I can see your point as well but think if leading by example and being responsible about the choices there is not a big issue. I would have a big conflict if the coaches were getting hammered with the kids around. I personally have drank with staff while my CP was around but in no way would I want CP alone with a coach while they drank. That is a big no.

So your choice would to NOT be at a gym where the coaches drink at competitions and maybe even fraternize with the kids if they are drinking or potentially putting the kids into a less than moral/ethical situation?

I can see your point as well but think if leading by example and being responsible about the choices there is not a big issue. I would have a big conflict if the coaches were getting hammered with the kids around. I personally have drank with staff while my CP was around but in no way would I want CP alone with a coach while they drank. That is a big no.

Agree 100%. I really think it comes down to differences in lifestyle and the way you look at alcohol use in general. As a parent, if it is high on your priority list, you should probably find a gym with a set policy that aligns with your beliefs. My opinion is that it's up to the parent to be aware and make decisions for their child about what they should or should not be around. As long as that is happening, I see nothing wrong with parents and/or coaches enjoying a drink during an overnight trip as long as all adults act responsibly and appropriately.

Agree 100%. I really think it comes down to differences in lifestyle and the way you look at alcohol use in general. As a parent, if it is high on your priority list, you should probably find a gym with a set policy that aligns with your beliefs. My opinion is that it's up to the parent to be aware and make decisions for their child about what they should or should not be around. As long as that is happening, I see nothing wrong with parents and/or coaches enjoying a drink during an overnight trip as long as all adults act responsibly and appropriately.
there are worse things a coach can do in the presence of or with an athlete.

Kind of a moot point as CP doesn't cheer anymore but yes if she ever went back my preference would be to attend a gym that did not allow staff to drink while at overnight comps. Of course those are few and far between right now. In reality if I knew most coaches really just wanted a drink or two to wind down then there'd probably be no issue. But to imply on here that the excessive drinking is few and far between is way off base.

I'm also not a fan of justifying behaviors because there are worse things that coaches could be done.

Kind of a moot point as CP doesn't cheer anymore but yes if she ever went back my preference would be to attend a gym that did not allow staff to drink while at overnight comps. Of course those are few and far between right now. In reality if I knew most coaches really just wanted a drink or two to wind down then there'd probably be no issue. But to imply on here that the excessive drinking is few and far between is way off base.

I'm also not a fan of justifying behaviors because there are worse things that coaches could be done.
I'm not justifying behavior based on worse things, there are just some things that rank higher on my radar (coach/athlete relations vs drinking) than others. My kid is older so maybe not as big a deal to me for the drinking but I would have to question the morals of a program that allowed or tolerated a relationship between a coach and athlete. That is where i was going

I'm not justifying behavior based on worse things, there are just some things that rank higher on my radar (coach/athlete relations vs drinking) than others. My kid is older so maybe not as big a deal to me for the drinking but I would have to question the morals of a program that allowed or tolerated a relationship between a coach and athlete. That is where i was going
Well, yeah. But, that gets back to legality for me too. 21+ year olds having a drink is legal whereas (obvious morality aside) the second example here is not likely to be legal, basically anywhere.

Agree @12stepCheermom Do I want my kid around a coach getting hammered, no but it is not illegal whereas the other scenario of an improper relationship is not only potentially illegal but definitely not ethical. I would definitely have to side eye a gym that did not condemn that sort of behavior.

When I was younger my parents and their cheer parent friends would all enlist older cheerleaders to babysit us, as we were all staying in the same hotel, and they'd go out for dinner and drinks. It worked perfectly because as a little we loved spending time with the older kids, the older kids got to make money, and parents got to have fun with people their own age. Once I became an older kid, I occasionally would be asked to babysit, and it was fun, we'd go swimming, order pizza, watch movies and make up mini cheer routines. No one was coming back drunk though.

We've been part of gyms where the parents got routinely trashed throughout the day, and gyms where coaches had no qualms about drinking with underage kids. I think everyone has their own comfort level with what kind of atmosphere they want to have themselves and their child involved in, and that should apply to all morals, not just drinking.

ACE allows coaches that are legal age to have a drink or two after coaching duties are done for the day. But they cannot drink while wearing an ACE shirt.

The Fierce Board: If you're gonna be talked about, shouldn't you at least be here to defend yourself?

Back