All-Star Coaches: How Do You Work In A Tumbling Private?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

F!ERCE

Cheer Parent
Mar 23, 2010
Do you ask the athlete what they would like to work on that day? Or do you dictate the game plan?

I don't necessarily mean letting an athlete w/ a BHS work fulls if they want. I mean if an athlete comes in, do you ask if they'd want to work mostly on standing tumbling or a certain specialty pass? Or do you tell them "we're going to do X Y and Z"?

And would this change if the athlete weren't cheering for a team in your gym? If they were just an athlete tumbling for fun, would you let them just do what they wanted?

I mostly coach little kids who are already on one of my teams so I know what they specifically need to get for the routine and we work on that.

I do privates for girls who cheer on rec teams. I have guidelines that I like to follow in terms of progression and what I would like them to get first. I do however ask what they want. Perhaps they are in the routine for a standing BHS and not a running, or standing tuck and not a layout. Whatever the case may be, as long as I feel it is safe for them, then they get to dictate what they work on.

I have guidelines that I like to follow in terms of progression and what I would like them to get first. I do however ask what they want. Perhaps they are in the routine for a standing BHS and not a running, or standing tuck and not a layout. Whatever the case may be, as long as I feel it is safe for them, then they get to dictate what they work on.

ditto... I ask them what they'd like to work on and then suggest what I think they should work on and then we do both.... I find kids are more productive when they have some input

When I schedule a private I tell the coach what I would like to see my CP work on- sometimes its jumps, tumbling or a dance move she is struggling with that she mentioned to me at home. The coach makes sure she spends some time on my request and then does what she thinks is needed since she is her coach.

Do you ask the athlete what they would like to work on that day? Or do you dictate the game plan?

I don't necessarily mean letting an athlete w/ a BHS work fulls if they want. I mean if an athlete comes in, do you ask if they'd want to work mostly on standing tumbling or a certain specialty pass? Or do you tell them "we're going to do X Y and Z"?

And would this change if the athlete weren't cheering for a team in your gym? If they were just an athlete tumbling for fun, would you let them just do what they wanted?

My basic rule is they work what they need for their routine first. Then they work what can add value to that routine next ie specialty passes, etc. Then we work on other skills that may be on the next higher sequence or level - unique combinations, drills, technique, tumble track - where ever we need to. Then I work on what I want. This holds true regardless to if they cheer for our gym or not.

I communicate with both the parent and athlete as to their goals and desires and find a way to integrate it into the private somehow. I also follow up at the end of the private to explain what we did, how it went, what we can improve and if there is anything they can do at home SAFELY to help the process. My regulars we have usually already discussed what comes next at the end of the last private so we are already in sync with what needs to happen. I keep goal sheets for my regulars so I can refer to them whenever I need to and can followup with a more informed answer for a parent if they need it.

I lesson plan out my lessons and leave some "open" time so that they can work on fun stuff or they can continue with a skill that they had some momentum on that day. The key for me is making the skills they need to be fun and and exciting.

Progressions need to be followed, and as the coach you should ask the kid to show you as many skills as they can in addition to what they want to work on. When I set up a private with a student, they write what they want to work on, and what skills they do have.... So it should be simple. If a kid doesn't have a strong handstand, or basic skills, Then you need to re-evaluate...

Back