All-Star Coaches Texting Athletes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

i give my # to my kids for privates and lets say they're lost at a competition and dont know where we are i have my phone in hand for some type of directions/map quest guide hehe!

when i give them my number i tell them "DONT GIVE MY NUMBER OUT, AND DONT PRANK CALL ME! & IM NOT KIDDING!"

strictly professional.

i mean i come from 2 different branches. Gymnastics our coaches turned into family. we were there 4-5 days a week for 4-6 hours and we had parties together we traveled together. and they just became like parents, im really close with my first coach we talk and text a lot even when i was younger.
cheerleading i only saw my coaches 2 times a week for 3 hours. so we texted but more about cheer related.
but im a guy and my coaches were guys so its a tad bit different

i think theres a boundy with texting your coach.. i mean yeah we want to have a good relationship with them, being able to depend on them when we need advice and everything, but i find it inappropriate when coaches and athletes text about everything, and hang out, outside of the gym.. i mean if theyre close in age i get that, but the coaches arent there to be our best friends, theyre there to be our coaches, and i think thats the number one thing

we text our kids/parents all the time, fastest way to get a hold of them. I get a response quicker by texting then i would by calling and leaving a voice-mail. I can always find out why they are late, or even to spread the word about an event or activity that we are having. YES for text, if used correctly!

Actually kids today communicate faster and more often than their parents even did. It may not be as much face to face, but the amount of electronic communication you do during the day is probably more than your parents do through work. Kids will be alright.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/gabe_zichermann_how_games_make_kids_smarter.html

Great video talking about how games make kids smarter... and already kids think faster than their parents.
It IS funny, though. I've noticed how awkward my generation is getting about ACTUAL face-time communication. It's like people use their cellphones as a shield during situations because they've stopped remembering how to handle them WITHOUT a device. When you're out with someone and feel awkward, what do you do? Pick up your cell phone. Before cell phones, how on earth did people HANDLE those situations? It's almost like my phone is my crutch..

It IS funny, though. I've noticed how awkward my generation is getting about ACTUAL face-time communication. It's like people use their cellphones as a shield during situations because they've stopped remembering how to handle them WITHOUT a device. When you're out with someone and feel awkward, what do you do? Pick up your cell phone. Before cell phones, how on earth did people HANDLE those situations? It's almost like my phone is my crutch..

I think you find you just dealt with the awkwardness more often there just NOW happens to be a way to avoid it. Cell phones do provide a very quit hit of emotional release as well (that is why twitter is so nasty after a competition).

The World will not implode because everyone is used to electronic communication. In fact people have been using TXT style speak for long time.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=xd8BAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA29&dq=#v=onepage&q&f=false

Change in general makes people uncomfortable and things were always better beforehand (or at least we remember it that way). There are good and bad things to deal with in every situation, it is just that cell phones provide new and different challenges we just have to learn how to handle.

I text my kids and parents all the time, hey its the only way I can be sure they will look it for some of them. I also have them get me if they are going to be late for any reason, on a saturday a lot of our seniors come straight from work and generally miss the first 15 mins but if they are running any later they have to text. Saying that I quite often put my phone on silent before I go into the gym so if they text just before a class they still end up getting a what time do you think this class starts at comment when they walk through the door.
Half of my senior team I also have in my elite acrobatic gymnastic squad so I get a lot of texts from them. I coach then 5 days a week for 3-4 hours each day and spend 2 months of the year being their designated parent as we are away at comps so they feel the need to keep me filled in on anything important to them incase they forget the next day. Today Ive had texts from 4 of them, one to say she was able to do her back tuck again at training tonight after destroying her ankle during the summer, one to tell me she got 80% in her chemistry test (she was struggling a lot last year so this is a big achievement for her), one to say she'd be late tomorrow as she is on a school trip till 5 and the other to say she is going to fail her uni exams next week so she wants to join me in my plans to take over the world.
I love that they feel they can come to me with problems as well, you spend 20 hours a week with a kid they learn quickly if they can trust you or not. They also know however that I am in close contact with their parents and if they come to me with something that I feel they need to know about I will tell them!

we usually text our girls when we have to urgently announce/ask something cheer related, but facebook is mostly enough to communicate these days

well, my moms a coach and my mom is friends with our coach so yeah. but i mean i dont like casually text her like "hey whats up"...yeahh no,

My coach texts us all the time with updates on practice times, what she expects from us at the next practice/competition, videos of our performances. It's the most effective form of communication for her, especially when dealing with 20+ teenage girls. Emails are still sent to the parents, but most girls don't check their email, at least not on a regular basis. For the most part, I don't text my coach; she's the one who texts us. The only time I text her is to ask about practice or let her know if I can't be there/will be late.

Back