Coaching Job....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 29, 2014
I really want to start coaching at my cheer gym (/just like a level one,nothing serious) but I'm really nervous to ask the owner/my coach for a job. Would it be wrong for me to email her and ask? I'm just really nervous about the whole thing.....please help!!!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Are you a current cheerleader? As long as you have been cheering at your gym for at least a season then you should ask to help, but I would speak with the owner directly rather than send an email. Often times gyms will not pay athletes to help coach, but may be willing to give tuition discounts in exchange instead. Let your gym owner know that you are interested in coaching and is it possible to help with one of the teams. They may say no (positions may be filled), at which point you can ask to have them keep you in mind if a position opens up, but if you don't ask the answer will always be "no", so go for it! Good luck!

No need to be nervous. If you've never coached before, I would approach it differently than you may be thinking right now. Ask the owner if you can meet with him/her about your future aspirations for cheer. Tell the owner that you're interested in coaching in the future and want to know if you can begin training as a junior coach and get your feet wet a bit. Can you sit in on practices and classes and observe the coaches? Can you assist with a tiny or mini team?

Once he/she says yes, here are some things you should be sure to do:
1. Take it seriously. Practice isn't the time to cuddle the little ones, play with them, pick them up... They'll never respect you if you act like a babysitter instead of a coach. Break time is the perfect time to bond with the little ones. Just show them you mean business when practice is in session.
2. Ask questions. While you're getting comfortable with instructing, ask your coach for confirmation that what you're saying is correct. Avoid stepping on their toes. The first few practices you may want to ask permission to address the team with a correction or thought. You don't really need it, but it shows that you respect the opinion of your coach and that you understand that you don't run the team.
3. Don't be afraid to step up. After you've taken a few practices to get comfortable, jump right in! Don't contradict your coach, but be hands on and show the kids and coaches that you are confident in your coaching abilities.
4. Learn the back side of the sport. Sometimes coaches forget that there's more than just practice. Take the time to study scoresheets and rubrics. Learn the USASF rules for your level inside and out, and have a basic understanding of the other levels as well.

Latest posts

Back