All-Star Coaching Who Can Tumble Or Not

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

MzLyn23

Cheer Parent
Sep 16, 2014
just noticed a post on another thread and it got me thinking

Do you think someone who has never tumbled at least not power tumbled, can coach tumbling/cheering if they get the right certifications and does the training etc... or do you think its better or more beneficial when some has personal experience with physically being a tumbler and then just went and got the extra training??

I'm gonna post this too in the coaches forum to get different opinions as well!!

(btw just curious... not trying to cause a huge debate or scandalous behavior.... lol)

I've had tumbling coaches who've never tumbled and coaches with solid level five skills and I've never even noticed a difference. As an athlete, I definitely think you can teach tumbling without having the skill yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never been a good tumbler, so I don't coach it. I have someone hired for that and she is always there at practice to help me. I feel like a tumbler always has an extra tip to give to my girls that I wouldn't be able to give just with some tumbling coaching classes. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.

However, I feel more than comfortable with every other aspect of cheer because of my experience and my certifications.

Does that make me an untrustable coach? I don't think so.

I agree with the above reply from @vannahlexis , I think those that actually CAN tumble probably could offer better TIPS to make it better because theyve actually perfromed the skill.. but I also think you can teach the skill even if you cant.

DDs had both coaches who used to be gymnasts/tumblers and coaches who had other backgrounds and moved into tumbling. There really isn't a significant difference between the two - some kids appreciate a coach who can demonstrate the skill, but really I don't think it makes that much difference. CPs best gym coach ever grew up as a competitive swimmer.

IMO it is more important that a coach understands how to break down skills and train the different muscles of the body to be able to complete a skill successfully. For example, I have passed SPARC (the main sports body in New Zealand) level 1 coaching course in which we all, regardless of background had to demonstrate coaching proficiency by teaching a randomly selected class of 7 and 8 year old school children the basics of touch rugby. Have I played touch rugby before, yes maybe a few times as a child. Had I been trained in basic anatomy, biomechanics and how to break down a skill into subparts- yes. Not to toot my own horn, more just as an example, I passed with the highest grade possible, a 1, whilst others in my class who played touch rugby at a reasonably high level were graded lower as they struggled with the actual "teaching" component.

I don't know how to tumble but I taught my daughter her BHS and set her foundation for her back tuck. I have a good enough eye and been around long enough that I can tell her what she's doing wrong and what she needs to do to correct it. So I'm of the opinion that with the proper training, you can teach tumbling and not be able to throw a single skill.

I never got past BHS myself, but I do have a BS in Exercise Physiology. I can definitely pinpoint technique errors in learning tucks and beyond. My mind sees the body as a machine, and I have a good eye for power, setting, rotation, etc. I don't need to be able to front punch to see that you're opening too early and arching your back and that's why you fell on your butt.

I know of a head coach at a local gymnastics centre who has never tumbled a day in his life but has coached Olympians. I definitely think it is possible to coach successfully without being able to do the skills yourself. As someone who can't tumble though I can definitely see how it would be beneficial to know how the skill feels in your own body to pass that knowledge onto someone else

Another perspective is that just because you've done it (tumbled, been a flyer, etc.) that doesn't automatically make you a good coach. As a number of people are mentioning, it's about understanding the movement, the progressions, etc. but also about being able to communicate that to the athletes in a way they understand so that they can execute that information.

They can both coach well, but the one who's been there and done it is able to explain certain "feelings" during the skill that other coaches can't. Personally, to me that's huge! For others, they don't need that and so they can learn just fine. Assuming their certifications are all up to par I'd say it's up to the athlete really.

I think having tumbling experience helps coaching tumbling because you have had the same problems, and can give advice from experience. However, just because you have tumbling experience that doesn't mean you necessary are a good spotter.

Back