All-Star Coed Stunting Saga...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I wasn't talking about 12 year old who possess the level 5 skills...I am referring to small flyers who are brought up and trained level 5 for the sole purpose of coed stunting while the larger flyers are either taught to base or not put on the team...I am totally for putting kids on who have all the skills, trust me, my daughter was 12 and on senior 5 but she had the skills...I am seeing itty bits coming on teams with little skills and being taught....to each is own, I am just giving my opinion as to what I like to see.
Speaking as the mother of one of those "fetus flyers" or "itty bits" you described, I think that it is important the team uses what it can to max out the score sheet. If next year my daughter is too big to fly, then I would expect her to base if this is what was best for the team. That is the point of all this right? To build the strongest team? I think the coaches of your daughter's team are wiser than you seem to think.

I think the problem is that the boys who have been tumbling since the age of four dont get the spot, the football players do.
Also, Im in the gym 5 days a week and I can barely punch front through to full. Tumbling is different for EVERY person.

Im just saying that the standards in cheer are MUCH higher for guys. When you see a boy on a team you expect him to be the best one on the team. Period.

My team is half guys and I don't expect them to be the best ones on the team by any stretch of the imagination. Half of them are a bunch of meat heads that we don't even make jump or dance. The other half tumble and assist.

You have to be good at one or the other to make the team, if you've been cheering since you were 4 and can't tumble or stunt level appropriately, you won't make the team. If that football player can't be taught to coed stunt (because that's obviously the role he's expected to play) then he won't remain on the team very long.

Same thing with girls. If that "fetus flyer" can't coed stunt then she won't stay on the team very long. We might see our coed teams have small flyers, but those bigger flyers are still needed on all girl teams. College cheerleading has been dealing with this for years. There's a place for everyone, but if you're not a little flyer, it might not be on a coed team, unless your other skills (tumbling or jumps or dancing) bring something extra to the team.

I can imagine feeling frustrated when you've worked very hard to be where you are, only to be replaced by 'the next best thing',or what your coach HOPES is going to be 'the next best thing', even if they can't quite earn it yet. Just because it's what's best for the team, doesn't mean it's an easy pill to swallow. I can understand watching some flier brought up for her size struggling with a stunt and thinking 'I could SO hit that' but not being able to because you're needed elsewhere. I've seen similar things in other sports. My brother's dealing a bit with the first part right now (he's a senior, and the coach is screwing around this season because he thinks his junior class is 'super awesome' and really only wants to prep them for next season), and the frustration and sadness is painful.

OK, here's my question - If fetus can't keep herself up in the stunt (maybe she's wobbly, struggling with the new skill and looking new) in what way is that "better for the team" than having the larger girl, who hits every time, in the air..hitting...every time, looking like a beautiful, experienced flyer?

ETA: lv1212 tagging you just because your post used those words, not that anyone can't answer...

Mamarazzi I know that if I were coaching I wouldn't bring up a "fetus" if the stunts were hitting perfect with their normal sized girl. I wouldn't bring up a mob of feti (I so hope that's the plural, because that would be amazing) if they weren't needed to hit a stunt. Is this a common problem?

Mamarazzi I know that if I were coaching I wouldn't bring up a "fetus" if the stunts were hitting perfect with their normal sized girl. I wouldn't bring up a mob of feti (I so hope that's the plural, because that would be amazing) if they weren't needed to hit a stunt. Is this a common problem?

I'm not sure how "common" common is, but what I see is bases not being pushed to get stronger, therefore the only option left is the fetus. Once you've run through all the fetuses (I think fetuses is correct, even though I really like feti,) you have nothing left that the bases can base. So, rather than pushing the bases to get stronger, you end up with younger and younger, inexperienced dorito chips.
ETA (I'm loving this feature today, apparently): You might not know whether a normal-sized girl's stunt will hit or not until further into the season. So, for tryouts, do you put the fetus or the normal girl in the air?

I'm not sure how "common" common is, but what I see is bases not being pushed to get stronger, therefore the only option left is the fetus. Once you've run through all the fetuses (I think fetuses is correct, even though I really like feti,) you have nothing left that the bases can base. So, rather than pushing the bases to get stronger, you end up with younger and younger, inexperienced dorito chips.
ETA (I'm loving this feature today, apparently): You might not know whether a normal-sized girl's stunt will hit or not until further into the season. So, for tryouts, do you put the fetus or the normal girl in the air?

Or you end up with a fetus on the team for 6 years, and they'll end up being extremely talented. I see both sides. I'm 100% neutral. My senior 3 is normal sized girls, and my senior 4 has some babies with a lot of tumbling. It boggles my mind when I see gyms that all levels, all ages have feti. I think a talented fetus is a rarity, and I hardly doubt that those kids earned their spot.

Or you end up with a fetus on the team for 6 years, and they'll end up being extremely talented. I see both sides. I'm 100% neutral. My senior 3 is normal sized girls, and my senior 4 has some babies with a lot of tumbling. It boggles my mind when I see gyms that all levels, all ages have feti. I think a talented fetus is a rarity, and I hardly doubt that those kids earned their spot.

I don't doubt that they earned their spot either, but the truly talented, skilled, experienced fetuses (which in itself is an oxymoron,) are few and far between. I'm not referring to the 9 year-old flyer on J5 who's had her double for a year and a half now and stays so tight in a stunt, she farts diamonds. I'm talking about the 80-pound 12 year-old on the Worlds team who doesn't have the tumbling, but they're "hoping" she gets some, and just doesn't have the look, or experience, of a true senior flyer.

I don't doubt that they earned their spot either, but the truly talented, skilled, experienced fetuses (which in itself is an oxymoron,) are few and far between. I'm not referring to the 9 year-old flyer on J5 who's had her double for a year and a half now and stays so tight in a stunt, she farts diamonds. I'm talking about the 80-pound 12 year-old on the Worlds team who doesn't have the tumbling, but they're "hoping" she gets some, and just doesn't have the look, or experience, of a true senior flyer.

Thank you, I just spit my water out on my desk at work. hahaha

Is true Coed stunting rewarded anyway? I was told ICE Thunder Medium Coed scored a 2 in Coed stunting when they did Ball Up Stretches....
ive heard the same of gymtyme platinum.. they used more coed stunts then anyone and more elite stunts then anyone still doing just as elite skills, but were still outscored (meaning there was no reward).

ive heard the same of gymtyme platinum.. they used more coed stunts then anyone and more elite stunts then anyone still doing just as elite skills, but were still outscored (meaning there was no reward).

I really want to see the COMPLETE breakdown of everything in that division. Execution/Difficulty.
I thought for sure it was going 1. TS 2. GT 3. South Elite. and it could have been switched at the top. Clearly, that didn't happen. Still surprised.

I really want to see the COMPLETE breakdown of everything in that division. Execution/Difficulty.
I thought for sure it was going 1. TS 2. GT 3. South Elite. and it could have been switched at the top. Clearly, that didn't happen. Still surprised.
same here! hahaah how did gymtyme get out tumbled????!!!! crazy

OK, here's my question - If fetus can't keep herself up in the stunt (maybe she's wobbly, struggling with the new skill and looking new) in what way is that "better for the team" than having the larger girl, who hits every time, in the air..hitting...every time, looking like a beautiful, experienced flyer?
You Are absolutely right. If a younger, smaller flyer....personally I don't care for fetus flyer...can't perform the skills they should not replace a flyer who can. But if you have equally skilled flyers and one is significantly larger, wouldn't you want the lighter one in the air. Particularly if your boys are not as strong on the one mans? why are you assuming a less experienced flyer can't do the stunts. Isn't that what tryouts are al about? Pick the best fit for the team. How does a 12 yr old gain experience at level 5 if they are not put on the team? Wouldn't they then be an inexperience 13 yr old next year...then 14...?
ETA: lv1212 tagging you just because your post used those words, not that anyone can't answer...

I personally am more impressed with older/larger girls flying...our team 2 years ago all the flyers were 16/17....this year 3 12 yr olds....one weighs 70 lbs....all different shapes and sized, kinda looks awkward....my original point is that the coaches are picking their team differently now...our coaches always loved tall long leg flyers, now they have to take ones who are easy to throw up and toss around.
That would be really wrong if the new flyers have no flying skills. The 70 pounder can't fly?

Back