Coed Stunting

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 22, 2014
Is coed stunting hard? I'm trying out for my college team and I'm a really good tumbler but I've never done stunting. The first time I'll ever do it will be at the clinics and I'm kinda scared haha

Is coed stunting hard? I'm trying out for my college team and I'm a really good tumbler but I've never done stunting. The first time I'll ever do it will be at the clinics and I'm kinda scared haha

Have you done any flying? I don't think it's that hard, but it's very different. You'll be scared at first. Is there an all-star gym near you where you can do some coed stunting before the clinic?

I haven't ever really coed stunted, because I am on all girl senior one, but I do stunting privates with the level six boys, and it is quite different. I have done level two and three stunts with them, and one of the major differences I see is that some flyers might see it to be awkward if they have to grab a place that would be weird outside of cheerleading (personally I don't care it's cheerleading it's how it is) but they have a lot of power as well. The only thing scary I really noticed about partner stunting was the fear of falling backwards or sideways since there is only one base. I was also nervous for the height but it really isn't bad after a few times.

I think coed stunting is easier to learn as a new flyer than all girl.

If you've flown all girl before, it will take some getting used to because there are some major differences. When you're flying coed, you're supposed to fly with your shoulders rolled back and tail tucked under, as opposed to all girl where your shoulders are more forward. Body control and awareness is really important -- you have to understand that "fighting for stunts" means that you basically stand still and squeeze.

Have you done any flying? I don't think it's that hard, but it's very different. You'll be scared at first. Is there an all-star gym near you where you can do some coed stunting before the clinic?
I have a gym but I don't have a stunt partner :(

I think coed stunting is easier to learn as a new flyer than all girl.

If you've flown all girl before, it will take some getting used to because there are some major differences. When you're flying coed, you're supposed to fly with your shoulders rolled back and tail tucked under, as opposed to all girl where your shoulders are more forward. Body control and awareness is really important -- you have to understand that "fighting for stunts" means that you basically stand still and squeeze.
I've never flown at all. I've done tumbling and gymnastics but never cheer. I don't think it will be too hard, I just think it will be scary being thrown in the air for the first few times. Hopefully I can land a spot on the team with my tumbling :)

Your tumbling skills will help you in the fact that you have decent body control and you know where you are in the air. Other than that, its gonna be all new. Somethings will be weird and seem strange but the "science" behind coed stunting makes it so all the weird things make everything easier.

As for finding a stunt partner, go to open gym and find some guys stunts. Walk over, introduce yourself and say to them, I've never stunted before but would love to learn and get some practice. No guy will or should say no, unless they are in the middle of a private lesson. They'll give ya some tips and tricks and you will struggle at first, but keep at it. Some people it clicks right away for, others it takes multiple times to "get" it. Keep at it, and keep going in the air, there is no substitute for air time!

Back