College Cheer Preparation

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 30, 2013
Hi! I'm only a sophomore in highschool, but I've been thinking about what colleges I might want to cheer at in the future. To give an idea about where I stand as far as college, I have started partner stunting regularly and tumbling wise I am working on fulls. I'm a former all star cheerleader, but now I am a UCA style highschool cheerleader. I'm 4'11 also so I fly regularly. What colleges should I look into?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Go where you want to go based on your education. What college feels like the best fit, what program do you want to take, etc. Go to open houses to get an idea. Cheer is important, but you'll get more in life from your degree than you will from cheering a few more years.

In respect to teams, look for one that you want to be a part of, same as any team. Do you want to compete or cheer sideline. What kind of program are the coaches running?? Does that fit with what you want from your cheer experience. But don't pick solely based on their cheer program

Go where you want to go based on your education. What college feels like the best fit, what program do you want to take, etc. Go to open houses to get an idea. Cheer is important, but you'll get more in life from your degree than you will from cheering a few more years.

In respect to teams, look for one that you want to be a part of, same as any team. Do you want to compete or cheer sideline. What kind of program are the coaches running?? Does that fit with what you want from your cheer experience. But don't pick solely based on their cheer program

Thanks for the advice! I'm not choosing schools just because of their cheer programs though. No pass no play, right? I'm just interested in what schools have good academics as well as cheerleading since those two aspects are important to me. Cheerleading has and always will be part of my life which is why that will make an impact on my college decision. Academics will always be imports as well. If a college had the best cheer team in the world, but poor academics, this certainly wouldn't be beneficial after college! Some schools I've thought about are University of Texas, Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, Kentucky, Memphis, and Ole Miss.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I ask my kids these important questions when I help them get recruited by college programs:

1. Do you want to stay in state, or do you want to travel out of state?
2. What size college are you thinking about? Small, Medium, Large, Huge
3. What are you thinking of going into as far as major wise...
4. Are you paying for college yourself? Loans? Parents? Is cost an issue?
5. Are you an NCA or UCA style cheerleader?
6. If I apply, will I be accepted? What ACT/SAT/Class Rank do I need in order to be accepted? (99% of the schools won't let you try out unless you've been accepted)
7. Scholarships?

After we discuss those questions, I have a better idea of how many and which schools would be the best fit based on those answers. Then I narrow the list down by skills. Tumbling, Stunting, and minimum requirements. All it takes is a little research.

Hope that helps! :)

Back