OT College Help!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Apr 20, 2010
I need some outside advice and figured you guys would be the perfect people to turn to. Im going into my senior year of HS, so needless to say, college searching is in full swing. For the past 11 or 12 years I have known I wanted to be teacher, and already know I will love it. I am applying to alot of out of state schools like Clemson, Auburn, University of South Carolina, University of Delaware and about 5 others. I realize the student debt I will be in is crazy, but I know I will be un happy at a local school. My parents have been trying to convince me to major in something else, like hospitality. I understand teaching is a low paying, common degree that I can get anyway. I am truly stuck on what to do at this point. Do I change my major so that way Im not struggling down the line? If not switching my major from education to hospitality, what can I do to increase my salary as a teacher, other than special ed which is what I will already be studying. Thank you so much in advice, Im sure you guys can sense my anxiousness over this considering this is one, long, rambling post. THANKS!

I have heard nothing but great things about Auburn. It is definitely a college town! If you need any more details on the environment there, PM and I'd be happy to help. Same goes for anything related to Special Ed.. I know quite a bit about that as well if you need any help with that!

As an Alabama fan .....Eww to Auburn. But Clemson is like my dream school! I'm kind of in the same boat. I want to go out of state and down south, but I relly don't think I can afford all the crazy debt I would be in. If you love teaching, and have wanted to do it forever, I wouldn;t change it. Good luck!

If being a teacher is something you have always wanted to do I would definitely consider sticking to that. There is nothing worse than sitting in school working towards something you don't really care about. Also know that you do not have to know what you want to do when you apply for or begin college. If you first declare an education major and decide that is not the best for you, you can change it to hospitality, and then back to teaching if thats what you want. I am going into my sophomore year of college with only a small idea of what I want to do and am still on track to graduate in four years. You can also talk to your advisor at school (high school or when you get to college) and they may be able to help. In my opinion if teaching is always what you have wanted to do and still what you would like to do, I would stick with that..at least until you go to school and may realize that you would rather do something else. Although its low paying, IMO I would rather be doing something I love for a little less money than dread going to work every morning. Sorry for the novel haha but good luck with everything :)

You should do what makes you happy, but need to be realistic too. I wouldn't change my major to please my parents, but maybe look at local schools. I just read an article on "cnn money" about people with student loan debt and low paying jobs. Some of them are facing monthly payments over $1000 for their student loans.

Just FYI, you can always change your major after starting college, but you will still be responsible for completing the new major's lower division prerequisites, as well as the upper division classes. This may add time to complete your education, which means more costs.

My daughter changed her major and was fortunate that her advisor allowed some of her business classes to work for her new major, which just happens to be Recreation, Tourism Management. She still has a few lower division classes to take as a senior. She will be graduating on time, even with taking off a semester, but is going to summer school and will be taking a lot of classes the next two semesters, and still needs to complete two internships.

parents like to try and tell their kids what to do when it comes to college, it's just in their very nature. they worry. not only are you making a big step in your life, but that choice is going to effect alot of your future big steps, so they're just trying to make sure you take the right one. No one can tell you what YOU want to do. can they give their opinion, try and convince you otherwise? absolutely. but if deep down in your heart this is what you want to do, then go for it. is it going to be easy? absolutely not. but let me tell you a secret. no matter what you choose to go to school for, its not going to be easy, that's just the nature of college, the nature of life. but why spend four years studying something you don't want to do, and then be stuck doing it for the rest of your life? that will not do. why purposely make yourself unhappy? it's not about the money. its about you. yes, student loans and debt suck. but also the very nature of college. and it's not like they're just going to hunt you down and tell you to give them all that money back right on the spot. you set up a payment plan of how much you pay per month based on your salary. so maybe instead of having some extra spending money for you time, it'll be going toward student loans. and maybe it'll take you a little longer than the classmate that decided to be a heart surgeon. but i think that's a small price to pay to be doing something you love.
You have to make sure you realize what you're going into too. teaching is always a popular major, but then it's normally ten times more demanding in regards to getting a job. you really have to fight for it. make sure you're doing all the right steps to get yourself ahead.
I know it sounds ideal to go to school out of state, get away from home, etc. but apply to some schools closer to home. even if you don't necessarily plan to go there, it will put your parents at ease a bit. but really look into some schools closer to home. let me tell you that out of state tuition is a MAJOR setback. that may change your mind real fast. and make sure you're looking at schools that are really good for your major. that's great if it's your dream school, but if their teaching program sucks, what's the point?
also, when it comes to undergrad, it doesn't mean much these days.... and undergrad degree is now equivalent to having a high school degree. companies want to see more. so why waste all your loan money on your undergrad going out of state? grad school is a great thing, and will offer plenty the opportunities. although that is quite down the line for you :)

sorry, i kinda rambled.... hope you don't get lost in my words lol best of luck, and if you have anymore questions just ask!

Are you wanting to teach Elementary school or Middle/High school? If you are going to specialize and teach middle or high school maybe it would be best to major in that field (Biology, Chemistry, Math, ect.) and then once you finish that many schools have a 1 year teaching certification program that you can take. That way you have a different major under your belt that may lead to a better job but if teaching is what you want to do you can always fall back on it. That is the route that I am aiming for when I am completely done in August. I wanted to teach for years but the pay and amount of teaching jobs out there makes me shy away from it. With the way I am doing it I will be able to teach if I find a good job or I can work somewhere else using my degree.

Your parents are smart for telling you to open your eyes in regards to a major. I have about 5 or 6 friends who majored in education that graduated May of 2010 and only 2 of them have found jobs. The others have either taken some part time as a sub, which is worth much because I sub all the time you don't need a degree for that, or they have decided to go back to school. On top of that the others have their parents making their loan payments because they don't have a job.

Knowing the cost of student loan payments be wise with your choice because that is a LOT of money to pay back and without a good paying job it makes it that much harder to pay it back.

All of these lovely ladies (and their might be some gents in here too, not sure) have essentially said what I wanted to say. As a girl who got the go-ahead to study ACTING in NYC (my dream job)..I know FIRSTHAND the challenges of convincing your parents of your career choice and school choice. That being said, I have a million and one options outside of this if I needed to make it work, in career related to my career but not necessarily being an 'actress' (Acting coach, teacher, etc). It is EASY to blow off student debt worries because you're young (trust me, I had no idea the impact at your age either, and I'm 21. I'm figuring it out now)..and although I'd like to say 'Ignore it and follow your dreams', I got lucky. My school has/had a BEAUTIFUL student financial aid dept that lavished me with grants (free money!). My schooling was MUCH cheaper than some others..

There's that college scholarship site (can't remember what it's called), but apply for EVERYTHING. You might not get a single one, but it will prove you're determined and your parents might ease up. And believe it or not, some of those loans DO NOT go away if you fall into bankruptcy. That's right, they DO chase you down for that money..keep that in mind. Plus, it gets harder if you have siblings (don't know if you do)..we're in a spot now because it's almost my brothers turn and money gets tight after two 4 year schools lol

I need some outside advice and figured you guys would be the perfect people to turn to. Im going into my senior year of HS, so needless to say, college searching is in full swing. For the past 11 or 12 years I have known I wanted to be teacher, and already know I will love it. I am applying to alot of out of state schools like Clemson, Auburn, University of South Carolina, University of Delaware and about 5 others. I realize the student debt I will be in is crazy, but I know I will be un happy at a local school. My parents have been trying to convince me to major in something else, like hospitality. I understand teaching is a low paying, common degree that I can get anyway. I am truly stuck on what to do at this point. Do I change my major so that way Im not struggling down the line? If not switching my major from education to hospitality, what can I do to increase my salary as a teacher, other than special ed which is what I will already be studying. Thank you so much in advice, Im sure you guys can sense my anxiousness over this considering this is one, long, rambling post. THANKS!

Get a Masters. Get a Masters plus hours.

Here in South Carolina they don't pay teachers anything (but on the other hand its a small sacrifice if you truly care about helping the US education system and aren't just there for the money). Having a masters immediately bumps you up in the pay scale (not by much, but every little bit helps). Having any continuing education helps as well (going beyond your masters degree, taking more courses). My mom is a speech and language pathologist at a public school and therefore has her masters + 30.

Try looking at something like Library Science. I sort of wanted to go into education after undergrad and went to grad school for Library Science. I am a librarian at a college. I still am able to work in education...and I make more than a teacher...or even a teacher with a masters would make.

You can also get Nationally Board Certified after you've been teaching a few year (assuming they will still be doing that and assuming you can actually pass...imo its a giant crock of......) but it does bump you up in salary assuming you succeed.

Other than 1 person, I don't know of anyone that has struggled to get a teaching job in SC. It may not have been at the school or district that they wanted, but they are still employed

Everyone in here has pretty much covered what I wanted to say as well but Ill put my 2 cents in anyways! AUBURN ALL THE WAY! Im partial because Ill be a freshmen there in the fall so please please please dont hesitate to ask me any questions about it if its somewhere your serious about going. Its an amazing school and Ill be the 3rd generation in my family to go there. The other ones are great schools to though so really weigh your options. The deciding point for me in my college search was the warm, welcoming, school spirited atmosphere at Auburn. It really is true southern hospitality there. On the other hand deciding on a major should naturally be something a little harder. If teaching is what you really want to do and have always wanted to do then I say go for it! Its what YOU have to do for the rest of your life, NOT your parents. Yes teaching doesnt have the greatest salary but if you doing a job that you love it will hardly seem like "working" which is a lot better than dreading going to work everyday for a job you sorta kinda like. If your really still that unsure go into college undecided. Plenty of people do it and itll give you a year or two to figure out exactly what you want and what your truly interested in. Good luck and like I said if you have any questions about AU dont hesitate to PM me! :)

@SandeRae I wont hesitate to ask you about Aurburn! I love it so much! Thanks everyone for the advice! I think I have alot of options to think about.

As a teacher in Texas we are facing layoffs right now. Which means anyone with less than 3 years experience in the district lost their job so right now the market is flooded with teachers. I enjoy my job but the requirements in the classroom are getting more difficult, even in elementary school so much time is spent on testing, gathering data and paperwork for the district. I got into teaching because I love working with kids but unfortunately all the other "junk" is not very much fun or fulfilling. I'm not saying not to go into teaching but be realistic about it. I had a senior student that would come into my room and help out for 3 hours a day. She got a realistic taste of teaching and still wants to do it- so it's up to you.

All of these lovely ladies (and their might be some gents in here too, not sure) have essentially said what I wanted to say. As a girl who got the go-ahead to study ACTING in NYC (my dream job)..I know FIRSTHAND the challenges of convincing your parents of your career choice and school choice. That being said, I have a million and one options outside of this if I needed to make it work, in career related to my career but not necessarily being an 'actress' (Acting coach, teacher, etc). It is EASY to blow off student debt worries because you're young (trust me, I had no idea the impact at your age either, and I'm 21. I'm figuring it out now)..and although I'd like to say 'Ignore it and follow your dreams', I got lucky. My school has/had a BEAUTIFUL student financial aid dept that lavished me with grants (free money!). My schooling was MUCH cheaper than some others..

There's that college scholarship site (can't remember what it's called), but apply for EVERYTHING. You might not get a single one, but it will prove you're determined and your parents might ease up. And believe it or not, some of those loans DO NOT go away if you fall into bankruptcy. That's right, they DO chase you down for that money..keep that in mind. Plus, it gets harder if you have siblings (don't know if you do)..we're in a spot now because it's almost my brothers turn and money gets tight after two 4 year schools lol
Please let me know if you remember the name!

Back