OT College Help!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
As a teacher in Texas we are facing layoffs right now. Which means anyone with less than 3 years experience in the district lost their job so right now the market is flooded with teachers. I enjoy my job but the requirements in the classroom are getting more difficult, even in elementary school so much time is spent on testing, gathering data and paperwork for the district. I got into teaching because I love working with kids but unfortunately all the other "junk" is not very much fun or fulfilling. I'm not saying not to go into teaching but be realistic about it. I had a senior student that would come into my room and help out for 3 hours a day. She got a realistic taste of teaching and still wants to do it- so it's up to you.

That is a good idea. My senior year of high school I interned part of my day with a second grade teacher because that is what I wanted to do. It was fun and I loved it but it helped me realize that it wasn't something I could see myself doing everyday.

I am a Sp. Ed. teacher in Texas. In my area we make the same pay as all the other teachers. I have seen both Regular & Sp. Ed teachers let go this year who have 3 or less years experience. :( You might want to double major. So, you have a back up plan.

I recently found this site, and it's really helpful! It's all reviews on colleges- but written by students. They rank the school, say best/worst things, and so on. It doesn't have some smaller schools, but for the most part has a lot. It's really helpful :)
www.unigo.com

You can also get Nationally Board Certified after you've been teaching a few year (assuming they will still be doing that and assuming you can actually pass...imo its a giant crock of......) but it does bump you up in salary assuming you succeed.

My friend is Nationally Board Certified, and in our area-still can't get a job! It's THAT FREAKING BAD. The process was also more work than our comps and thesis combined AND it was expensive.....and it hasn't helped her in the job search. She moved to our area, and that's why she was looking for a new job...she would have gladly stayed where she was if her husband's job hadn't transferred them.

Back