OT College Stress

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Apr 9, 2011
So I was just reading the "Colleges" thread and I have had college on my mind for the past 2 years. Now that I am senior it's really starting to set in that I have to fill out all of the college applications, apply for loans and scholarships, and write college essays. I know that everyone applying to college has to be stressed out too about the application process and getting accepted. I'm usually a very good essay writer but that's when my teacher gives me something to write about. I'm nervous that I won't have an "accept me because of my story" essay. I feel like nothing monumental has happened for me to write about it. Has anyone who's in college or applying to college fill like they were/are in the same boat as me? I want to be either an Occupational Therapist or a Radiologist Assistant and there aren't that many schools that offer those as majors. I'm looking at Ohio State (#1 choice), Quinnipiac, West Viriginia Univ, Virginia Commonwealth, and a few others but Ohio State and Qunnipiac are the only colleges that offer both of those as majors so I think it is best to stick with those two. I just think it will be weird and a very big risk if I only apply to two colleges.
Bascially, if anyone has tips on college essays and dealing with the stress of it all that would be great.

Just take a breath and stop worrying so much about the essays. They are a small part of the overall application in addition to grades, SAT scores, and everything else. I know its stressful with senior year and applying for colleges and still trying to keep it all together, but you just have to try your best and know that as long as you try your best there will be no regrets. Don't stress, just try your best and everything will end up alright. Things always have a way of working out in the end!
I would definately apply to the 2 schools that you definately want, and just in case have a couple of back up schools to cover all your options. That way you have a chance of getting into those 2 but if for some reason you dont, you can choose another school with one of the 2 majors you want. You can always transfer if for some reason you get into a school with only the one major and want to switch to the other one if needed in that case......typically the first year or two will be mostly basics anyway (see there are always options!). Seeing that Ohio State is the largest university in the country however, I think as you have a very good chance at getting into the school as long as you work hard and do your best!

So I was just reading the "Colleges" thread and I have had college on my mind for the past 2 years. Now that I am senior it's really starting to set in that I have to fill out all of the college applications, apply for loans and scholarships, and write college essays. I know that everyone applying to college has to be stressed out too about the application process and getting accepted. I'm usually a very good essay writer but that's when my teacher gives me something to write about. I'm nervous that I won't have an "accept me because of my story" essay. I feel like nothing monumental has happened for me to write about it. Has anyone who's in college or applying to college fill like they were/are in the same boat as me? I want to be either an Occupational Therapist or a Radiologist Assistant and there aren't that many schools that offer those as majors. I'm looking at Ohio State (#1 choice), Quinnipiac, West Viriginia Univ, Virginia Commonwealth, and a few others but Ohio State and Qunnipiac are the only colleges that offer both of those as majors so I think it is best to stick with those two. I just think it will be weird and a very big risk if I only apply to two colleges.
Bascially, if anyone has tips on college essays and dealing with the stress of it all that would be great.
Legit in the same boat. My dad works for the state, so I can get free tuition to state schools in MA. .....But I want to do PT, and veery few state schools offer it. Bleh, I just hate this whole thing haha. I ahven't even begun to think about essays :rolleyes:

i'm gonna be a junior this year & all this stuff freaks me out already. i'm so afraid of crashing & burning under the stress:(

Legit in the same boat. My dad works for the state, so I can get free tuition to state schools in MA. .....But I want to do PT, and veery few state schools offer it. Bleh, I just hate this whole thing haha. I ahven't even begun to think about essays :rolleyes:
I know, you would think that a lot of colleges would offer PT and OT since so many people need it. and I'm hoping that my guidance councelor gives me essay ideas since they usually bring all of their kids from each class to the library to talk to us about college in the beginning of the year.

My CP's guidance counselor's recommendation was to make a list-with help from your counselor and and your parents or colleges that you would like to attend and apply to. Your list should include:
SAFE COLLEGES= Colleges that you have an excellent chance that you will get into and you want to go to and your parents can afford even with financial aid
POSSIBLE COLLEGES= Colleges that may be possible to get into either that you may have a good chance due to your SAT/ACT scores or GPA based on published requirements by the college, or your parents have informed you that they may be able to afford to send you to with financial aid
FAR REACH COLLEGES=These are colleges that are really out of your reach either by published SAT/ACT scores or your GPA requirements by the college or your parents have said it is IMPOSSIBLE to send you there

Try to have 3-5 colleges in each category and see which colleges you can move to which category with the help of your counselor and parents. This will narrow down your selection. Apply to all of the safe ones and most of the possible ones and avoid the far reach ones. With all of these categories, you will be able to choose with your head and not with your heart and it will include the realistic factors to narrow down the factors that you are concerned about: whether you should stick with your 2 choices or whether you should branchout and apply to additional colleges to be safe and have some back ups. Sometimes it's best to choose a few extra so that when you are accepted by 5 you can narrow down where YOU want to go not WHO will accept you if you leave yourself only 2 options. Relax and good luck!!

Just take a breath and stop worrying so much about the essays. They are a small part of the overall application in addition to grades, SAT scores, and everything else. I know its stressful with senior year and applying for colleges and still trying to keep it all together, but you just have to try your best and know that as long as you try your best there will be no regrets. Don't stress, just try your best and everything will end up alright. Things always have a way of working out in the end!
I would definately apply to the 2 schools that you definately want, and just in case have a couple of back up schools to cover all your options. That way you have a chance of getting into those 2 but if for some reason you dont, you can choose another school with one of the 2 majors you want. You can always transfer if for some reason you get into a school with only the one major and want to switch to the other one if needed in that case......typically the first year or two will be mostly basics anyway (see there are always options!). Seeing that Ohio State is the largest university in the country however, I think as you have a very good chance at getting into the school as long as you work hard and do your best!

Thankyou! Transfering is always an option and OSU is a huge university I'm going to go in eith a positive outlook. I just always think about the "what ifs" and start second guessing myself. The way you put it really does make me feel a lot better.:)

Latest posts

Back