College College Tryout Interview

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 28, 2011
What kind of questions are asked in a college tryout interview, and what questions should I ask them? How can I make the best impression possible?

Thanks!

Really difficult math equations. History facts. Deep personal things that have affected you emotionally...

Nah, jk!
It will be stuff about you and your experiences with cheer & school. They want to get an idea of who you are, what you're about, if you will be coachable or a pain in the butt. Some questions might be about high school or experiences on teams prior to find out how you dealt with them. Think similar to a job interview

Possible questions you may want to be ready to answer:

Why University of School Name?

What are your weaknesses? What are your strengths?

Describe a time when you had a conflict with a teammate. How did you handle it?

What would your past coaches say about you?

How would your past teammates describe you?

Describe a memorable moment in your cheer career? What made it memorable?

What makes you a good candidate for School Name's cheer program?

What is your leadership style?

How have you handled disagreements with coaches?

Let's say your stunt group is having difficulty hitting a stunt. How do you react?

How do you plan to balance school and cheerleading? What would you do if you found yourself overwhelmed with school and cheer practice?

You have a conflict between a lab and a cheer event? What do you do?

You get called into the coaches' office where he tells you that he's taking your basket out of the routine and moving you to a basing position. How do you react?

Let's say a coach notices an issue with your technique in tumbling and brings it up to you during practice. How do you respond?

You have a teammate in your stunt group who is often late, missing practices, and not holding up team responsibilities? What is your response to that?

We don't have an interview part (although kind of wish we did) but we do have a few short answer questions on the tryout application that could be similar to what you'd see in an interview. They are:
1). What will you bring to the cheerleading team?

2). What would you like to gain from being on the team?

3). There seem to be personality conflicts on every team-how would you deal with that?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I know my status says I am a "Parent" because on the boards I am an All-Star Cheer mom. However, I am also a University assistant cheer coach. We just had tryouts this past week and incorporated interviews in to our tryouts for the first time. It was the best idea! We were able to really get to know the athletes trying out. Especially the new ones.

Here are just a few of the questions we asked:

Application question: Why do you want to be on the team?

Mandatory question they all had to answer: What assets do you have that will benefit our team?

Other questions:

What characteristics do you feel are the most important for cheerleaders to possess?

How do you think a University cheerleader should conduct themselves online and throughout social media?

Do you feel cheerleaders are an important part of the athletic program? Why?

These questions we asked our returning members:

What are ways that returning members can help make new members feel welcome?

What do you think about the current spirit at our University and what would you do to build more spirit around campus?

What new ideas would you like to see implemented into next year's program?

I am definitely going to take some of the questions from above and pocket them for next years tryouts. Good luck!

Back