High School Competition Hair

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What hairstyle does your team do for competitions?

• Total voters
We did buns one season. My cp has fine blond hair and it looked like she had a nub on her head. :confused:

The funny thing, any way you do hair, SOMEONE is going to feel weird. With that being said, this eliminates girls who's hair doesn't curl well, girls who look straggly straight, poofs that are not the same, etc. ;) In a perfect world I would like high curled but natrual loose curl ponys.. but it's just not that simple.

I want to see the bun look for competition!
I've only seen John's Creek two top buns... and I'm just not a fan. (they seriously remind me of teddy bears.)
check out Burlington Township, they have been wearing buns for a few years now.

The funny thing, any way you do hair, SOMEONE is going to feel weird. With that being said, this eliminates girls who's hair doesn't curl well, girls who look straggly straight, poofs that are not the same, etc. ;) In a perfect world I would like high curled but natrual loose curl ponys.. but it's just not that simple.
Agree completely. Which is why once the coach makes a decision, so be it. We were not happy with the bun on her because all you really saw was the bow but that was how they wanted it so that's how we did it. It was actually probably the easiest hair to do aside from the high straight pony.

The funny thing for me, the girls picked it. I told the girls high pony's last day of camp. I didn't care if it was straight/curly, I just said I want the bow HERE and pointed to the top of their head.. they came outside in the morning, looked absolutely ADORABLE and I looked at my assistant and I said, they look cute.. competition hair? I asked the seniors their opinion and the answer was, OMG really? CAN WE!

Seriously the ONLY thing they agreed on ever, it's a sign!

I actually love the bun after looking at BT. Really clean, uniform and didnt distract from the routine. I'd never see it in the future for allstar cheer, but high school wonderful. What about the awkward bob girl SparkleSpankies ?

I don't think I could ever compete with a bun. I have so much hair it would be impossible to keep it from moving around and looking like a hot mess. I am definitely a fan of the poof with a straight pony for high school. It looks really clean and athletic.

I'm really OCD about my ponytail being really tight before I compete (Yes, I was that girl that pulled her ponytail before setting up for the routine) and I just feel like with a bun I wouldn't be able to get my hair tight enough to satisfy my hair OCD.

I don't think I could ever compete with a bun. I have so much hair it would be impossible to keep it from moving around and looking like a hot mess. I am definitely a fan of the poof with a straight pony for high school. It looks really clean and athletic.
When we did side buns, the girls made a high side pony, then braided it, then wrapped the braid around to make a tight bun. If you secured it enough, it did not move at all. I was not a fan but it looked nice and was very easy.

I'm really OCD about my ponytail being really tight before I compete (Yes, I was that girl that pulled her ponytail before setting up for the routine) and I just feel like with a bun I wouldn't be able to get my hair tight enough to satisfy my hair OCD.
Same here!! For competition I usually have at least 3 hair bands in my hair just so it stays tight!

One year at state, a VERY good team lost to a fairly bad team because a girls pony tail whipped her in the face at the top of her full up. The next year, in protest of our states ridiculous rules, they showed up in buns. And not just buns, like slicked back with a ton of gel and a million bobby pins. It was funny.

Buns- when I did color guard one year we had to wear slicked back buns and they had to be perfect.

You take a tube/crew sock similar to the color of your hair. Cut the foot part off and then roll the tube part down into a perfect circle. (Looks like a donut)

Then put you slicked back / gelled up ponytail through the donut hole. Then let the hair evenly fall around the donut. Secure in place with a bunch of bobby pins then wrap, tuck, and pin the excess hair underneath the donut.

Very ugly but everyone looked the exact same. It was cool!! It never moved with all those bobby pins!!

I actually love the bun after looking at BT. Really clean, uniform and didnt distract from the routine. I'd never see it in the future for allstar cheer, but high school wonderful. What about the awkward bob girl SparkleSpankies ?

I was lucky not to have any, now I have one and we just said 1/2 up and down w/ bow in the same place as the girls, and straight. :) We also don't do ballet buns, like poofy buns, the girls have a name for them and it looks adorable!!

Buns- when I did color guard one year we had to wear slicked back buns and they had to be perfect.

You take a tube/crew sock similar to the color of your hair. Cut the foot part off and then roll the tube part down into a perfect circle. (Looks like a donut)

Then put you slicked back / gelled up ponytail through the donut hole. Then let the hair evenly fall around the donut. Secure in place with a bunch of bobby pins then wrap, tuck, and pin the excess hair underneath the donut.

Very ugly but everyone looked the exact same. It was cool!! It never moved with all those bobby pins!!
Cp actually does this to her hair for fun. It's pretty cool once you get the hang of it.

I don't mind anything really as long as there is nothing in the face, however, I DESPISE poofs. They go in and out of style very fast and in 3 years you will all look at your pictures and think you look stupid. ALSO everyone's poof is totally different. :)

Back