OT Competitive Cheerleading Vs Competitive Dancing

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
In theory no, but there could be real consequences to not taking the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It should be up to the student how they want to spend their time outside of dance, and not have the dance teacher tell them what they can and can't do. I would hate to think some students aren't doing what they want to because their dance teacher said not to.

It should be up to the student how they want to spend their time outside of dance, and not have the dance teacher tell them what they can and can't do. I would hate to think some students aren't doing what they want to because their dance teacher said not to.
Welcome to the real world. Sure, you can do what you want, but if your instructor (and this goes for any activity) has asked you not to and you still do it, as @dawgshow already said, there are typically consequences for those actions. I don't think there's anything wrong with asking why they don't want you to do it, but if you get an answer and then disregard it, chances are your role in that activity will be diminished.

And really - this can be applied to anything. We live in a world where we cannot always act autonomously just because we want to.

Some studios and gyms have contracts for team members that you have to sign that state what you can and can't do. There are some dance studios/cheer gyms that only allow you to take classes/ privates at their gym.

I think the dance studio have an invested interest in their dancer... I am assuming that they already planned ahead, numbers they want to do and what dancers will be on hand to make it happen... During the summer, my daughter was not told what squad- elite or company- she made, they actually had an 1 month tryout period and the dancers, who were being considered for the elite squad learned at least 8 choreographed numbers and at the end of the summer, tryouts in these genre of dance- Jazz, Tap, Ballet and Contemporary and dancer's choice...

I think this is definitely a business thing with the tumbling and of course, it is only a decision that can be made by the athlete, if she will stop the tumbling privates... Right now, my daughter wants to focus on her dancing and the Director is even giving her free ballet privates, in exchange for her working on Saturdays...

However, I told my daughter that this may be the end of competitive cheering, at least making a level 5 Worlds team at a big gym like WC... She seems to be okay with it... I even said, (really for my sake) No Shooting Stars! She said, nope! No regrets! I can't lie, I am worry about her decision... But it is still her decision... My daughter decided to not play basketball too, she given it all for dance...

Well, my daughter aged off of Twinkles in May and just turned 13... I must admit, I am in awed of her... I remember at that age, I was not doing any of the things she has accomplished... But I still want her to do the things that will make her happy, no pressure.

She just found out, after getting her competition schedule and the number extra dance practices, that she may not be able to play MS basketball, and she is not sure how well the girls on the team is going to handle it, when she does not show up for tryouts...I love that about her, she is always worried about others feelings, instead of her own...

Wow, you know, it must be really nice to be wanted in so many ways... I would not know this, right now, not even my dog acts like she likes me much...haha!

Some studios and gyms have contracts for team members that you have to sign that state what you can and can't do. There are some dance studios/cheer gyms that only allow you to take classes/ privates at their gym.

Yes.

My friend dances semi-professionally. She is obligated to only take dance at this team's designated facility.

Most studios aren't like that. I did competitive dance when I was younger and had a wonderful studio. Very inclusive and transparent.

I was gonna say this. Most competitive dance studios aren't this way, but it wouldn't shock me to find that some are.

I dance with a studio that is all about having fun and learning, and it is great!

The dance teacher may care, but she can't tell a student what they can and can't do. Or can she?

Dance is an extra---they don't HAVE to let you attend there and can easily tell her to not come back if she doesn't listen to the rules.

That isn't how real life works. My CP has asked her coaches everything from, "Can I cut my hair?" to "Can I do a mud run?" because they could cause issues in cheer.

See also: re: dance v. cheer:

I am not a dancer or dance teacher, but I have found that dance JUDGING involves a level of greater subjectivity than cheer does.

Yes, I know that cheer is subjective, but my dance coach friends (or friends who have coached both) have said that dance competition scoring encompasses more subjective judgements.

For example: Score sheets have included commentary on how the judges liked/disliked the costuming or makeup.

My daughter I s 12 , has been dancing since she was 3, and cheering sine she was 7. She does 9 hours a week of dance and about 7 in the gym. She does pointe work, along with pretty much every other genre. I was a dancer for 20 years. We don't compete, but are at a studio that is very technique focused, particularly in ballet. I have only skimmed the thread, but my perspective on the situation is:

1. What the instructor is telling you about ballet is true. She needs to be doing all the ballet she can get. It is the technical foundation of all other forms of dance. It is vital for technique improvement.

2. Cheer/ tumbling and dance can compliment each other, but it is often a balancing act. Muscle mass gained from tumbling is not the same as the lengthened muscle development they are looking for in a competitive dancer. The instructor is likely looking at it from the perspective of why potentially compromise her dance technique for skills she will never use.

Eta: just saw your post about her helping instruct the littles, frankly this is a bit of a red flag for me. Our studio would NEVER allow a child who has been dancing less than a year to instruct in any capacity. I am sure your child is very talented and it's no reflection on her, but I cannot believe an instructor would trust a child with less than a year of dance training to consistently demonstrate proper technique.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Eta: just saw your post about her helping instruct the littles, frankly this is a bit of a red flag for me. Our studio would NEVER allow a child who has been dancing less than a year to instruct in any capacity. I am sure your child is very talented and it's no reflection on her, but I cannot believe an instructor would trust a child with less than a year of dance training to consistently demonstrate proper technique.

Also, if I am a parent considering a studio, I'm not enrolling my kid in a tiny dance class where they're learning from middle schoolers.

Also, if I am a parent considering a studio, I'm not enrolling my kid in a tiny dance class where they're learning from middle schoolers.
Our studio uses girls 9th grade and up with at least 10 years of dance as teaching assistants. They do not instruct the class, but the demonstrate steps and help with crowd control. No one under 18 is ever allowed to teach alone.

Back