All-Star Concussions And Cheerleading.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Thank you for posting this. We have been through this with our daughter and it is no fun :(
Parents: Do not encourage or allow your child to go back or try "just this" before he/she is completely cleared by a medical professional. It just isn't worth it long term.
Coaches: Take concussions seriously! Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't causing problems. No means no! Suzy can not stunt. Suzy can not tumble. Suzy can not jump. Do not make her feel guilty or threaten her about sitting out of every.single.part of practice!

OK i don't know if anyone is going to agree with me about this and i don't want to offend anyone but does anyone think that people are getting a little concussion crazy these days? i know concussions are very serious and you cant play around with getting hit in the head at all but i think if a kid goes to a doctor and says they got hit in the head and have a headache they are most likely going to tell you that you have a concussion and you cant do anything for 2 weeks. even if they didnt get hit hard. the doctor just has to cover themselves. when i used to cheer i don't think we ever had someone sit out because they had a concussion. now we've had 3 girls in the past 2 weeks get concussions and have to sit out for 2 weeks. it just seems a little crazy to me. maybe im the only one to think this but i don't know.

im not saying that this is the same in all cases. getting hit in the head is a serious thing. we don't give the kids a hard time at all when they tell us they have a concussion. we follow the doctors orders and wont let them do anything until they are cleared. it just seems like its happening far too much now a days.

You don't have to be hit hard to get a concussion. Placement is everything. My sister bumped her head, lightly, and had a concussion (and amnesia, but that's a WHOLE other story). I think concussions are more common now because there's better testing, more awareness and more safety procedures in place.

You don't have to be hit hard to get a concussion. Placement is everything. ...I think concussions are more common now because there's better testing, more awareness and more safety procedures in place.
This.
I think some years ago the awareness for concussions wasn't as high as it is now and should be. No playing around with an injured brain over here. Even if a kid didn't see a doctor after getting hit on their head (you can't force parents into it), i don't let them stunt or tumble or jump. They may walk through the routine marking their part.
Don't want them to suffer the rest of their life because it's "just" a concussion :-/

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

OK i don't know if anyone is going to agree with me about this and i don't want to offend anyone but does anyone think that people are getting a little concussion crazy these days? i know concussions are very serious and you cant play around with getting hit in the head at all but i think if a kid goes to a doctor and says they got hit in the head and have a headache they are most likely going to tell you that you have a concussion and you cant do anything for 2 weeks. even if they didnt get hit hard. the doctor just has to cover themselves. when i used to cheer i don't think we ever had someone sit out because they had a concussion. now we've had 3 girls in the past 2 weeks get concussions and have to sit out for 2 weeks. it just seems a little crazy to me. maybe im the only one to think this but i don't know.

im not saying that this is the same in all cases. getting hit in the head is a serious thing. we don't give the kids a hard time at all when they tell us they have a concussion. we follow the doctors orders and wont let them do anything until they are cleared. it just seems like its happening far too much now a days.
This is because we have new ways to detect and prevent concussions and concussion related injuries. In the past, concussions were kind of a gray area and not much was known about them and what they can affect later (think about the NFL and College Football discussions on head injuries), but now with new information about the seriousness of them, people want to prevent them from affecting developing brains of the young athletes we have in our sport, hence the crazy.

This is so so so important, you never know it's not a concussion until it is fully checked out so take the child out, make them sit down, get checked. Even if they're blabbing that they're fine ten minutes later, most athletes wont think a little bit of a headache is much of a concern when really they're suffering from a concussion. A concussion is classed as a 'traumatic brain injury' and is basically your brain smacking off the sides/front of your skull, not to be taken lightly. I've seen too many coaches hurrying a kid back onto the mat without being 100% totally and utterly sure there's no damage. This is a great PSA.

No I don't. There is a specific protocol for diagnosis and treatment of concussions that MUST be followed. We know much more now about exactly how damaging concussions, particularly multiple concussions can be. We didn't take these precautions when we were kids because we didn't understand the damage we were doing. Look at the numbers of NFL players that are suffering debilitating consequences from multiple untreated concussions. They are nothing to play with. If the cognitive function tests say the kid has a concussion the NEED to sit out. No question.

No I don't. There is a specific protocol for diagnosis and treatment of concussions that MUST be followed. We know much more now about exactly how damaging concussions, particularly multiple concussions can be. We didn't take these precautions when we were kids because we didn't understand the damage we were doing. Look at the numbers of NFL players that are suffering debilitating consequences from multiple untreated concussions. They are nothing to play with. If the cognitive function tests say the kid has a concussion the NEED to sit out. No question.

I know that and we never question a kid when they say they have a concussion. We follow what the doctor says without any hesitation. it just seems like concussions are happening alot more now. We had 3 kids in the past 2 weeks get concussions at practice from bumping heads with eachother during the pyramid.

i just feel like if a kid goes to the doctor and said they got hit in the head and they have a headache they automatically have a concussion and are out for 2 weeks. The doctors need to cover themselves. i compeletley understand that concussions are not something you can take lightly. But to me it just seems crazy how often they are happening now a days.

I know that and we never question a kid when they say they have a concussion. We follow what the doctor says without any hesitation. it just seems like concussions are happening alot more now. We had 3 kids in the past 2 weeks get concussions at practice from bumping heads with eachother during the pyramid.

i just feel like if a kid goes to the doctor and said they got hit in the head and they have a headache they automatically have a concussion and are out for 2 weeks. The doctors need to cover themselves. i compeletley understand that concussions are not something you can take lightly. But to me it just seems crazy how often they are happening now a days.
You are seeing more about them because there are better criteria for diagnosis now. we don't just write them off any more.if the child fails a cognition test they have a concussion. doctors are required to perform them they cannot just say I have a headache and get a compassion diagnosis

Sorry double post

i would be extremely concerned to have you as my coach.

Back