All-Star Confidence With Tumbling

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 16, 2011
Hey, I'm really struggling with tumbling recently.
I was wondering if anyone could help?

I know I can do this pass.. but I feel like I have to do it onto a mat.. ? And I get stuck with only doing it on the tumble track at gym.. and if I'm asked to do it on the sprung floor(cheer sized floor) I just can't make myself do it? Even though I know it's exactly the same as the tumble track..?

I need urgent help with this, pleaaaaaaaaase? And advice would be helpful!!

I have this exact same issue, I lost my pass and now I can't seem to do it unless I have a coach standing there.
It really is a pain, and in my head I know that I can do it it by myself and I am 100% capable of doing it, but I simply can't make myself go for it on the floor without that coach there, even if she is far enough away that I know she can't touch me.

One of the best things when I was having issues only doing it on a tumble track or rod floor was to simply get away from the two things. I would not allow myself, no matter how much I wanted to, to go and tumble on either. It was hurting me more then helping me. Even though I was getting reps in by myself I was getting attached to only being able to do it there.

If you have a coach you can trust to spot you on the floor I would suggest that. Even if its just until you can get that confidence to do it alone on the normal floor. And hopefully you wont have the same issue I do, with not being able to do it unless they are there.

Start by conditioning your body! The stronger you are the easier tumbling should be. The easier it is physically the most your mind might be at ease! Or try breaking down your booty in steps. Example... if you are doing Round off BHS Tuck. Do your Round off BHS rebound on to mats. Then do Ronud off BHS rebound and have a coach catch you in the air, hold it and then have them flip you over. And so forth.

What is your pass and I should have a better idea on how to help!

The pass I'm having trouble with is Round off tuck, I think it's the fear of not seeing where I'm going? I feel much safer to know I'm going onto a squishy mat which will protect me ha! When I was learning Round off flicks (BHS) I was fine with throwing it by myself even though I fell on my head countless times (and on non-sprung cheer floor)! I guess I knew my hands were 'supposed' to hit the ground before anything else? But with a tuck.. I'm going straight round onto my feet?

One- you should not learn a Round off Tuck before you have mastered the Round off BHS Tuck or until all attempted have made at learn a correct Round off BHS Tuck. The Round off Tuck combination is a lazy skill which allows athletes to place their feet behind them in the Round off forcing them to punch up. Now this could build bad habits in your Round off BHS.

Two- start working standing tucks, I have noticed that athletes learn better when you are focusing on ONE skill rather then muitiple.

Three- if you can do it into the pit, start adding panel mats to the pit to simulate the floor. The more mats you add the stiffer the landing surface is making it more realistic.

Message me back with any more questions and I will glady help! Have fun and be safe!

I always wondered why they were having my daughter learn her robhs tuck instead of just a round off tuck, and working on her standing tuck at the same time even though it's a level 4 skill. Good information. :)

The tumble trak is not the floor it is a tool to lessen the wear and tear of the repetition of skills. Like any task if the tool we are using is not working we discard it and find another one. Stay away from the TT with regards to this skill. Do it on to a crash pad or with a coach that you trust not to over spot you.

BTW I 100% feel that you should learn a RO BHS T before learning a RO T. If a athlete has a RO BHS T, I can teach them how to do a RO T in one lesson; the reverse is not true. RO T is the lazy way out. (Any good tumbling coach knows this. Coaches . . . quit doing our athletes a disservices and take the immediate gratification route. Teach in proper progressions and let the athletes gain confidence.)

The tumble trak is not the floor it is a tool to lessen the wear and tear of the repetition of skills. Like any task if the tool we are using is not working we discard it and find another one. Stay away from the TT with regards to this skill. Do it on to a crash pad or with a coach that you trust not to over spot you.

BTW I 100% feel that you should learn a RO BHS T before learning a RO T. If a athlete has a RO BHS T, I can teach them how to do a RO T in one lesson; the reverse is not true. RO T is the lazy way out. (Any good tumbling coach knows this. Coaches . . . quit doing our athletes a disservices and take the immediate gratification route. Teach in proper progressions and let the athletes gain confidence.)

I did learn to BHS.. but due to an injury I can't work them anymore, I do understand your point though.. and if it was possible I would be progressing my tumbling as you say to do so!

Thanks for the advice about the tumble track.. I'll stay away!

Back