Confused About Teammates

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 30, 2012
I am confused about some of my teammates and that we are the same age yet they are engaging in inappropriate behavior for 14. I feel very uncomfortable with the topics they talk about and want to be a part of the team family but feel ACKWARD when certain topics come up? How should I handle this without everyone hating me?

Ouch!! First of all, congrats on being raised right. For you to realize that kids your own age are being inappropriate in their behavior etc tells a lot about your character.

As for dealing with the kids...... Unfortunately I see only a couple options. 1) you tell your coach and see if they do anything but run the risk of them telling the squad where the complaint came from (depends on your coach) 2) don't say anything at all and just know that you're right in your behavior 3) TELL your parents - get them involved and have them talk to the coach - your mom or dad telling your coach "I don't like my daughter subjected to....." isn't a far stretch or anything new for most coaches.

Is this H.S. or allstar?

Hope this helps. Goud luck

Talk to your team mates when it gets to something uncomfortable and tell them that this does not apply to cheer and they should discuss this later during their own time, walk away from it if possible. If it does not stop talk to parents first and the they can back you up if you decide to talk to your coach, good luck!

Talk to your own parents first and let them know what is going on. My own 12 year old came to me today and showed me a Facebook post from one of her same-age teammates about being at a sleepover, drinking and telling boys to come over for a good time. She was a little shocked about it's inappropriateness which is why she shared it, but it's different when you are in a team setting and have to listen to things that can't just be ignored because you are stuck in that team setting. After telling your parents, my suggestion would be to try to ignore the ones who are initiating these conversations and see if you can bond with others who feel the same way you do (because I will bet you are not the only one who feels this way).

Back